Lots of questions.

nitsudls1@...

I got the forward fuselage down to my house and have started sanding on the canard. As i see more and more fiberglass of the wings and canard the more questions I have. I've asked some of the A&P's at work and they all say the same thing, "I don't know anything about fiberglass." I can't figure out how to add pictures to this post, so Ill just add them in the pictures folder.

First, there are some dings and gouges in the glass that I have to repair. One is on the leading edge about 12" from the wing root. I'm hoping the repair doesn't need to follow the upper surface under the wing root. Not sure how many layers thick it is, but the plans call for a 1" overlap per lamina, so the patch might get pretty big.

Second, the other wing has what appears to be a about a 2" spot on the upper unidirectional cap that is cracked just a little bit in the spanwise direction. By pressing sufficiently on it with my thumb I can hear the foam just a little bit. Other areas are rock hard. The thing this spot had no external signs of delaminating, cracking, or anything. In fact, if I bought a used flying plane I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to spot the defect.

Third, there are really large areas on the lower skin of the main wing both sides, that are delaminating from the foam. I've seen the canard repair online, where the builder did a complete repair from breaking the canard. I'm sure my main wings will require the same amount of work. The main wing looks to me like builder error.

Now for a bird-shot load of questions.

Is it worth repairing the main wing?
How will I know that other areas might delaminate at a later time?
If the canard is unrepairable I'm back to square one at starting basically from scratch on the project. Do I continue with the gu airfoil or switch to the ls-1?
Can the carbon spare be built? I have not seen a layup schedule for it anywhere.

Sorry to need so much advise, but I would like a piece of mind on structural issues.
Thanks, Dustin Graber

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

From your brief description, I suggest you find a kit and start a new project.  It will be faster and safer than trying to put lipstick on a pig.  Jerry 

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/27/19 9:56 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Lots of questions.

I got the forward fuselage down to my house and have started sanding on the canard. As i see more and more fiberglass of the wings and canard the more questions I have. I've asked some of the A&P's at work and they all say the same thing, "I don't know anything about fiberglass." I can't figure out how to add pictures to this post, so Ill just add them in the pictures folder.

First, there are some dings and gouges in the glass that I have to repair. One is on the leading edge about 12" from the wing root. I'm hoping the repair doesn't need to follow the upper surface under the wing root. Not sure how many layers thick it is, but the plans call for a 1" overlap per lamina, so the patch might get pretty big.

Second, the other wing has what appears to be a about a 2" spot on the upper unidirectional cap that is cracked just a little bit in the spanwise direction. By pressing sufficiently on it with my thumb I can hear the foam just a little bit. Other areas are rock hard. The thing this spot had no external signs of delaminating, cracking, or anything. In fact, if I bought a used flying plane I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to spot the defect.

Third, there are really large areas on the lower skin of the main wing both sides, that are delaminating from the foam. I've seen the canard repair online, where the builder did a complete repair from breaking the canard. I'm sure my main wings will require the same amount of work. The main wing looks to me like builder error.

If the canard is unrepairable I'm back to square one at starting basically from scratch on the project. Do I continue with the gu airfoil or switch to the ls-1?
Can the carbon spare be built? I have not seen a layup schedule for it anywhere.

Sorry to need so much advise, but I would like a piece of mind on structural issues.
Thanks, Dustin Graber

Paul Fisher

I agree.  I don't think I'd trust those wings. I'd be concerned about what happened to cause the damage and if there was damage you haven't found yet.  IF the fuselage is in good shape (see previous sentence), you might be able to just build new wings.

I suggest you find a composite builder nearby and have them physically inspect your issues - I wouldn't trust any opinion (including mine) that is just based on a few pictures.

Paul

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, 09:28 Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

From your brief description, I suggest you find a kit and start a new project.  It will be faster and safer than trying to put lipstick on a pig.  Jerry 

Thanks, Dustin Graber

Jim Patillo

I have a friend in San Jose,Ca that bought two q2’s kits in 1982. Fuselage, wings and canards were assembled by an A&P. Good quality work. I’m sure Ron would make you a deal. The planes were never finished.

Jim Patillo
N46JP - Q200

Frankenbird Vern

Dustin

I am an ESLA/IA and I work extensively in composites as well as the other basic materials in aircraft construction, both within and outside of the factory production setting. I currently have a position as Contract in Engineering on one of the Gulfstream derivatives. Directly across from me is the 787 Slats build.. 😊  Autoclave big enough to cook a house in.

Anyway..

Jim has the better option because keep in mind the Q was engineered by the team at Scaled in Mohave when different foams and resins were available. Not to say the current epoxy's are not as good or better, but you'll be hard pressed to find the equivalent foams for new construction of your flight surfaces, therefore your building into uncharted waters. 

The Q fuselage shells are the most difficult for a homebuilder to arrive at anyway because they were tool made; so you already have a set of the key component.  About a year ago there was on this blog a very good video of sawn wire cutting by CNC of foams. Might be interesting for you to see, but if this were my project I'd be getting in contact with the fellow that Jim knows and proceed thereon.

Get a nice new 2019 Silver Eagle and "ring" the entire surface (tap test).  We use a different tool in Industry but it is a similar method and results. You will easily recognize the delam locations using a regular pattern.

Vern Lehman       

From: Q-LIST@... <Q-LIST@...> on behalf of logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Lots of questions.

I have a friend in San Jose,Ca that bought two q2’s kits in 1982. Fuselage, wings and canards were assembled by an A&P. Good quality work. I’m sure Ron would make you a deal. The planes were never finished.

Jim Patillo
N46JP - Q200

albert jolliffe

I would scrap it quickly.

On Jun 28, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I agree.  I don't think I'd trust those wings. I'd be concerned about what happened to cause the damage and if there was damage you haven't found yet.  IF the fuselage is in good shape (see previous sentence), you might be able to just build new wings.

I suggest you find a composite builder nearby and have them physically inspect your issues - I wouldn't trust any opinion (including mine) that is just based on a few pictures.

Paul

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, 09:28 Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Thanks, Dustin Graber

Robert Bounds

Bingo!  Q's are notorious for damage to the canard from hard landings.  If the main wing is delaminating too you need to cut your losses now and find another kit.  You will be a lot happier in the long run.  And we want Q-drivers to have a long run.  Bounds

On 6/28/2019 8:28 AM, Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] wrote:

Thanks, Dustin Graber

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Sam Hoskins

Dustin. Where are you located? 

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, 8:53 PM Bounds rebounds@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Bingo!  Q's are notorious for damage to the canard from hard landings.  If the main wing is delaminating too you need to cut your losses now and find another kit.  You will be a lot happier in the long run.  And we want Q-drivers to have a long run.  Bounds

Thanks, Dustin Graber

Jay Scheevel

Jim,

Did Jim Hamm finally sell his kit/plane? That would be a nice option also, if still available.

Cheers,

Jay

Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 9:34 AM

Jim Patillo
N46JP - Q200

Jim Patillo

I’m pretty sure Jim Hamm’s plane was parted out a long time ago. Bob Farnam would know for sure.

Jim
N46JP-Q200

Dustin Graber <nitsudls1@...>

First I apologize for the photo quality. They had trouble loading, so I tried again, and it loaded twice.

Sam,

I’m in Waynesboro, VA.

Thanks for all the input. The feedback from everyone on and off the forum was very helpful. My next logical step is to focus on sanding the forward fuselage to evaluate its condition. I have a lot of confidence in it as I've already finished sanding the tailcone down and it looks great. The interior is bare glass. The only thing left that I can't see is the exterior of the fwd fuselage.

I tend to be to be to much if a perfectionist (that's what I hear at work), so building the wings new from scratch actually sounds kind of fun. I was just wanting to get in the air in two years as opposed to four.

Thanks again,

Dustin

Sent from my Windows 10 device

Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 3:02 PM

Thanks, Dustin Graber

Frankenbird Vern

Dustin..

I have quite a bit of the original orange foam from an unfinished Q kit I purchased back in 2000. I do not plan on using it since I purchased completed surfaces that I know are correctly constructed. The foam was cut that I have, but never sanded after hotwire nor were any ply's applied. I have them in a storage unit about 50 miles from my home. They are in the Tulsa area. Perhaps photos of these would clarify if you are interested. They have never been exposed to UV that I am aware of.  I'd have to verify if the Canard is the improved airfoil. You may have this material free of charge but the logistics of moving it to Va may not be worth the trouble to you.  There were no spars in the kit I purchased. I was more interested in the paperwork and fuselage shells and the price was right for those items.  

Vern

Mannford Oklahoma 

From: Q-LIST@... on behalf of Dustin Graber nitsudls1@... [Q-LIST] Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 2:47 AM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Lots of questions.

First I apologize for the photo quality. They had trouble loading, so I tried again, and it loaded twice.

Sam,

I’m in Waynesboro, VA.

Thanks for all the input. The feedback from everyone on and off the forum was very helpful.. My next logical step is to focus on sanding the forward fuselage to evaluate its condition. I have a lot of confidence in it as I've already finished sanding the tailcone down and it looks great. The interior is bare glass. The only thing left that I can't see is the exterior of the fwd fuselage.

I tend to be to be to much if a perfectionist (that's what I hear at work), so building the wings new from scratch actually sounds kind of fun. I was just wanting to get in the air in two years as opposed to four.

Thanks again,

Dustin

Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 3:02 PM

Thanks, Dustin Graber

Jay Scheevel

Hi Dustin,

I suggest you follow the advice of the voices you are hearing on this group that are suggesting to either fabricate or buy pre-built replacement wings. Basically, you cut the old ones off and reattach the new ones. Sounds ominous, but it is relatively easy to do with good results. Sam Hoskins has done this on his plane several times and can explain the "Mr. Sawsall" technique.

Also, my wife and all of her sisters grew up in Waynesboro, so I am very familiar with your location. We will be back in that area for a family reunion at the end of July. I would be happy to come by and have a look at your project. If you can get some wings by then, I can help you evaluate the quality and condition of them. Let me know.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ

Awesome, either way I would love to have a second set if eyes on the project, so ill get up with you off the group.

Thanks

Dustin

Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Lots of questions.

Hi Dustin,

I suggest you follow the advice of the voices you are hearing on this group that are suggesting to either fabricate or buy pre-built replacement wings. Basically, you cut the old ones off and reattach the new ones. Sounds ominous, but it is relatively easy to do with good results. Sam Hoskins has done this on his plane several times and can explain the "Mr. Sawsall" technique.

Also, my wife and all of her sisters grew up in Waynesboro, so I am very familiar with your location. We will be back in that area for a family reunion at the end of July. I would be happy to come by and have a look at your project. If you can get some wings by then, I can help you evaluate the quality and condition of them. Let me know.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ

Allan Farr

Remember there's nothing wrong with the GU canard that VGs won't fix. It is very strong and doesn't need the carbon spar.

Mike Dwyer

Wow Allan,  that's a very general statement that could get someone killed.  One thing I never liked about the GU canard was that the Spar ended 4 feet from the end of the wing and back 20+ years ago I was reading about hard landings breaking the canard at that point.  Ya can't fix that with VG's!
Fly Safe,
Mike Q200 N3QP

Allan Farr

Could get someone killed? I suspect that the designers knew a bit more than you or I do. I'd be interested in hearing what those who are actually flying with the GU canard have to say, perhaps they don't realise how close to death they are ;)

I studied the plans and  went ahead and sanded into the gouge that was in the picture. The unidirectional cloth is very thick in this area and as deep as I went the glass had a separation. I started feeling less and less confident in a repar right in the “spar” area. The more I thought about repairing that area the more I just felt like I should start over, so last night I cut the wings off….uhh. Man, it's so discouraging. My sand/repair/paint project is turning into a complete build. In fact I would bet that I'm not much farther ahead at this point than starting from an untouched kit. I've got this now, so Ill just keep grinding away on it.

I guess that means I'm in the market for wings. Obviously I’m thinking in terms of the ls-1 variant, but let me know what you've got.

I'm actually not completely opposed to building a new gu canard, so if nothing comes up I'll always have that option.

Dustin

Rick Hole

Before retiring from Velocity I did a lot of firberglass work. Repairing spars, no. Safer to build from new. 
I’ve built two sets of wings/canards for Q2. LS1 spar canards under tutelage of Velocity’s wing master craftsman Jim Campbell. 
If you haven’t done fiberglass before make some small items for experience. Having someone with experience will be a good help. 
I am now living in Honduras. Hardly any GA here so I am sidelined. 
When you have finished it’ll feel soo good!

Rick Hole

On Jul 6, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Dustin Graber nitsudls1@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I studied the plans and  went ahead and sanded into the gouge that was in the picture.. The unidirectional cloth is very thick in this area and as deep as I went the glass had a separation. I started feeling less and less confident in a repar right in the “spar” area. The more I thought about repairing that area the more I just felt like I should start over, so last night I cut the wings off….uhh. Man, it's so discouraging. My sand/repair/paint project is turning into a complete build. In fact I would bet that I'm not much farther ahead at this point than starting from an untouched kit. I've got this now, so Ill just keep grinding away on it.

I guess that means I'm in the market for wings. Obviously I’m thinking in terms of the ls-1 variant, but let me know what you've got.

I'm actually not completely opposed to building a new gu canard, so if nothing comes up I'll always have that option.

Dustin

Frankenbird Vern

Rick.. do you know if Jim built any Dragonfly flight surfaces? 

Vern Lehman 

Mannford Oklahoma

From: Q-LIST@... on behalf of Rick Hole r.hole@... [Q-LIST]
Sent: Saturday, July 6, 2019 3:12 PM

Before retiring from Velocity I did a lot of firberglass work. Repairing spars, no. Safer to build from new. 

I’ve built two sets of wings/canards for Q2. LS1 spar canards under tutelage of Velocity’s wing master craftsman Jim Campbell. 
If you haven’t done fiberglass before make some small items for experience. Having someone with experience will be a good help. 
I am now living in Honduras. Hardly any GA here so I am sidelined. 
When you have finished it’ll feel soo good!

Rick Hole

On Jul 6, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Dustin Graber nitsudls1@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I studied the plans and  went ahead and sanded into the gouge that was in the picture.. The unidirectional cloth is very thick in this area and as deep as I went the glass had a separation. I started feeling less and less confident in a repar right in the “spar” area. The more I thought about repairing that area the more I just felt like I should start over, so last night I cut the wings off….uhh. Man, it's so discouraging. My sand/repair/paint project is turning into a complete build. In fact I would bet that I'm not much farther ahead at this point than starting from an untouched kit.. I've got this now, so Ill just keep grinding away on it.

Dustin