Tires - Whatcha Got?

Corbin

While working on brakes, it is a good time to replace my tires (500-5).  Any suggestions for brand/model and ply rating?  I think 4 ply is the most common on the Q200's but that's me just going off PSI of 35-40.  I think 6 ply is up to 50psi which I was thinking was getting high for the weight of these planes.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Sam Hoskins

Corbin.

Forget the hard or soft pads, I think that's old old documentation. Simply get the Airheart pads from wherever you can find them. I think there is an Airhart manufacturer, maybe in Minnesota,? They are also available through go-cart sales organizations.

As for tires, there is a variety of different styles you'll see on aircraft, I use the 8 ply tires formerly called lamb tires.

So, I didn't see your flight report here. What's the deal with that?

Sam

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019, 2:40 PM c_geiser@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

While working on brakes, it is a good time to replace my tires (500-5).  Any suggestions for brand/model and ply rating?  I think 4 ply is the most common on the Q200's but that's me just going off PSI of 35-40.  I think 6 ply is up to 50psi which I was thinking was getting high for the weight of these planes.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Paul Fisher

Looks like you've got larger tires than I do.  I use the original 11x4.00-5 size tire inflated to 50 psi.

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

Corbin

Hey Sam!

Airheart is the company I am speaking with and they are wanting to know which ones (hard or soft).  I think I am going to with soft as it looks to resemble the pads on their now.

I was back taxiing to depart on my first solo when the brake issue surfaced.  Lots of drag on left side and when we removed the caliper and pads we could see plenty of "gunk" and a very unevenly worn pad.

Corbin

Jim Patillo

It really doesn’t matter whether you use soft or hard pads. Their cheap, get both types any try them. I don’t see s lot of difference in performance.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Corbin

Great thanks.  I will try the soft ones to maintain better performance when colder outside.

Jay Scheevel

Sounds like you have your brake pad issue figured out. If not, I think I have the original Airheart brake pads, never used, from my Q-200 kit and I will see if I can locate them. Tri-Q kit came with its own wheels and brakes.

If you really are using 5 X 5.00 tires, the diameter is the critical item to make sure you have the same clearance of the wheel pant to the wheel and the runway. I have put AIR HAWK 500-5 6PLY TIREs on my Tri-Q2. These tires go on same wheel as the Lamb tire. So far, I like the new tires. Don't wear as fast and smooth out some of the cracks in my home runway. The diameter of the whole assembly went from 11" to 13" when I changed from the Lamb tires. The AIR HAWK tire is available from Spruce for $$.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q@ N8WQ

Corbin

Thanks.....I was considering the AIR HAWK tire so good to know.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Might want to check the rotors to be assured they are not warped.

Sounds like you have your brake pad issue figured out. If not, I think I have the original Airheart brake pads, never used, from my Q-200 kit and I will see if I can locate them. Tri-Q kit came with its own wheels and brakes.

If you really are using 5 X 5.00 tires, the diameter is the critical item to make sure you have the same clearance of the wheel pant to the wheel and the runway. I have put AIR HAWK 500-5 6PLY TIREs on my Tri-Q2. These tires go on same wheel as the Lamb tire. So far, I like the new tires. Don't wear as fast and smooth out some of the cracks in my home runway. The diameter of the whole assembly went from 11" to 13" when I changed from the Lamb tires. The AIR HAWK tire is available from Spruce for $$.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q@ N8WQ

Jim Patillo

Corbin,

I used the stock “cross hatch” 4 ply tires forever but recently switched to the ribbed 8 ply Tires sold by AC. They are much more robust tires but smaller the dia. tires drop the plane about 1/2”, lowering the canard angle which requires a little more runway for takeoff. That was the only trade off as far as I can tell.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Mike Dwyer

Try to stick with the same type tires ya got.  I'm still running the Chen Shins, I think they are 500x5's.  I have the small tire option wheel pants and they are real tight.  All 500x5's are not created equal!  Also I run 30 psi in my tires.  I found with  much higher pressures the tires don't absorb much of a landing hit and you bounce up more!
Mike Q200 N3QP

YouTube Videos: https://goo.gl/yKEHfK
Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

Matthew Curcio

I know I’m late but get soft and buy them from speedway motors. Best price and shopping I have found. They last a really long time. I go through several pairs of tires before a pair of brakes and I abuse the hell out of my brakes.

Matthew Curcio
419-290-3773

On Jul 3, 2019, at 07:55, c_geiser@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hey Sam!

Airheart is the company I am speaking with and they are wanting to know which ones (hard or soft).  I think I am going to with soft as it looks to resemble the pads on their now.

I was back taxiing to depart on my first solo when the brake issue surfaced.  Lots of drag on left side and when we removed the caliper and pads we could see plenty of "gunk" and a very unevenly worn pad.

Corbin

Corbin

Thanks! I went with soft from those guys.

Corbin