Flight report

Kevin Boddicker

I have not written a flight report for quite some time.

I flew around the pattern on 5-23-19. I had intensions of flying for an hour or so, but once again I lost power shortly after take off. I had been experiencing troubles for the last several months, and attributing it to carb ice. Application of carb heat at times would clear the problem. The previous flight, 5/19/19, the engine missed twice in rapid succession, and then decaying RPM. Carb heat slowly brought the RPM back to normal, 2400 PRM with carb heat applied full throttle. Flew over the airport for half an hour and landed. Nothing abnormal.
Back to 5-23. Experienced decaying of power at 400’ AGL. Carb heat applied. 2000 RPM was all I could get from her. Enough power to maintain altitude while in slow flight at 100MPH. Was the first time I was ever concerned that I might not make it back to the airport! Good Lord’s will, I did.
Started all the normal troubleshooting activities. Mags, normal. Plugs, serviceable. Carb float setting ok. Fuel flow, 37.5 GPH. Balloon test, passed. Compression, oh shit. #1 80/76  #3 80/60ish leaking by exhaust valve. #4 same as #3. #2 80/60ish leaking by the intake valve. NFG!
It would appear that the engine was trying to tell me that things weren’t right, but I had my mind on carb ice, and not listening. Always easier to trouble shoot after the fact. Maybe that missing in the engine the flight before was a stuck/sticking valve? Carb heat did help. Coincidence? Who the hell knows.
Ordered four new Superior Millennium cylinders, piston pins, and all the gaskets that come with new cyls.
from AS. Had them in five days!
Skipping all the details of removing baffeling, cyls, pistons , etc.
New cyls installed, after Mike, A&P IA gapped the rings. He also set the rocker arm gap. Needed two new push rods, a length thing as I understand it. He also installed the newest carb float recommended, via service bulletin.
Torqued to spec. Baffling reinstalled. A few baffle cracks fixed. New high temp RTV calked in. You get it.
With Mike on the fire ext. we fired it up. Fired on second blade. Sounded good.
Flew first flight 6/22/19. About .8 hours using break-in procedures published by Superior. Wanted to fly for two hours, but mother nature sent a small cell right at the airport. Landed and all was well. Flew 1.8 hours on 6/26/19 circling over the airport on both flights. Temp were within recommended ranges. Again following suggested power ranges and time durations recommended. Used about a half quart of oil for both flights .
All is good!
Climb was great.
Now I need to have the ambient temps get back to a workable range before flying again. Mike recommended not flying in the 90°F+ temps we have been experiencing as of late. No reason the get parts too hot, or have to reduce power to cool things down. Lower power settings will not be good for seating the rings to the cyls.

Listen to your engine with an open mind. Try to not get fixated on what you might think. In my case carb ice.
If things are abnormal, dig into the beast.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   481 hrs
Luana, IA.

Paul Fisher

Glad you're back up and running Kevin.  Quite an ordeal, but hopefully you now have your confidence back to fly again!

Paul

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 10:23 Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Dwyer

Hi Kevin,
I don't think those compression numbers mean much.  I've seen engines fly well with 20/80 compression's!  You might have been having valves sticking or something else going on.

I put new millenniums on this year also.  My reason was I was getting 2 hours to the quart...lots of ring blowby.  Oil on the belly.    After install, I flew 10 hours at redline and 1000' pressure altitude to break it in.  Open up your airflow and redline the engine!  Try to minimize taxi time.  I now have about 30 hours and in the last 5 I can't detect any oil consumption and no oil leaking now (suspect reduced crankcase pressure).

I'm still fighting with a MA3SPA that is running way to rich at idle.  Fowling my plugs on landing approach and taxi even tho I got it leaned out like crazy.  In flight the carb works fine.  I use auto gas and that fowls plugs way worse than 100LL.  But still, I want to get working so if there are any carb experts out there, help!

Fly Safe.
Mike N3QP Q200

Kevin Boddicker

Mike,
Sam’s friend C Rod is a carb guru. Maybe contact Sam about this. I think C Rod used to monitor the list. Not sure of his current status.
I have a manual and other info here, but no scanner. New printer, no scanner.
Let me know if you need any info reproduced. I can do it at work.
Kevin

On Jul 4, 2019, at 11:19 AM, q2pilot@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

One Sky Dog

On Jul 4, 2019, at 1:35 PM, Kevin Boddicker trumanst@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Sam Hoskins

Mike, how are you currently making the idle mixture adjustment?

Sam

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 11:19 AM q2pilot@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Frankenbird Vern

  The Zenith/Corvair folks had a rebuilder that mistakenly installed too large of jets in the MA3SPA and there was a recall of the carbs thus jetted in order to correct the very same issues you describe Mike.

 You can easily research the issue on this Safety Alert here:

 It could be possible that your carb may have been jetted in this same manner. The same consumption is correct for the 0-200 as up to the 3.3L Corvair. Your engines symptoms indicate this is the case. I would say that William would be more than willing to indicate the revise jet size and from there you can verify what your SPA has installed now.

Vern