Mandatory International flight plan?

Bruce Crain

victor taylor

It only means that all flights that you would normally file a flight plan will be done with the international flight plan now. You are still not required to file for VFR unless in an ADIZ or crossing a border.

Victor Taylor CFII
Velocity 93 DV

On Aug 1, 2019, at 02:01, 'jcrain2@...' jcrain2@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Does anyone know anything about this note from the FAA.  It says it will start August 27, 2019.  It states that it will be mandatory that you fill out an International Flight plan if are an IFR or VFR domestic or international civil flight!
Did they just sneak this in or has it been coming for a while.
FAA notice NOTC9616
I  hope this is not going to happen in the US!  Somebody fill me in please!

This Simple Drink "Ends" Tinnitus - Try Tonight
fighttinnitusnow.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/5d423a369cdc03a367216st02vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Paul Fisher

It is just the FORMAT of the flight plan that has to follow the ICAO standards instead of the old domestic (US only) format.  So IF you file a flight plan, it must be in that new format.  The rules for when and if you file are not changing.

Yes, this change has been in the works for some time.  The implementation date has slipped several times, but its been coming.

I use fltplan.com to file all of my flight plans.  Once you get your aircraft defined, they take care of getting it filed in the proper format.  I haven't had any problems with them.  I suppose I should confess that I only file flight plans when I fly IFR.  I haven't filed a VFR flight plan for probably thirty years! (Yes, I know -shame on me!)

Paul