From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 8:12 AM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Brake Bleed Methods

Chasing some air in my brake lines.  I tried a vacuum pump system but I don't think I could get a could seal from the pump itself.  Then I tried pushing fluid using the oil can method; through the upper bleeder valve.  I am going to try that again today but was curious what methods others are using for a "one person" bleed method.

If I have to get a helper to press on the pedals then I will but wanted to figure out a good one person method to use.

Corbin Ge!ser

Sam Hoskins

I usually use a helper to pull on the brake while I man the bleed fitting.

Also, a bottle like this makes filling a lot easier.
ACM Economy Wash Bottle, LDPE, Squeeze Bottle Medical Label Tattoo (250ml / 8oz / 1 Bottle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WTHLR18/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_tpQvDbVDWJ4SA

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019, 7:32 AM 'Jerry Marstall' jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

I have Matco breaks and have a terrible time bleeding them.  Since the bleed port fitting at the caliper is not directly below where the brake line attaches, there is an air pocket that sometimes forms.  I have to remove the caliper unit from the wheel,  letting it hang by the brake line. I vertically align the bleed port with the brake line attachment. This allows the air bubble to exit out of the top of the caliper housing.  Then pump the fluid in from the bottom with an oil can.

In the cockpit I made a fitting that screws into the vent hole at the top of the master cylinder and attached a clear plastic tube that runs into an empty water bottle to catch the fluid as it runs over the top.  This allows me to watch the fluid as it comes out of the master cylinder to detect the exiting air bubbles.  A one-person operation that works every time.

Jerry

Chasing some air in my brake lines.  I tried a vacuum pump system but I don't think I could get a could seal from the pump itself.  Then I tried pushing fluid using the oil can method; through the upper bleeder valve.  I am going to try that again today but was curious what methods others are using for a "one person" bleed method.

If I have to get a helper to press on the pedals then I will but wanted to figure out a good one person method to use.

Corbin Ge!ser

Richard Kaczmarek 3RD

We use one of those old timey hand pump oil cans and attach it to the bleeder at the caliper. By back filling the system it only takes one person to do it and will push out any air in the system. If your holding tank is full you will need to pull fluid out so not to make a mess on the back fill. We learned this method after fighting for 2 days to get a dual toe brakes PA28-140 system to work. Does work will all normal GA brake systems do make sure the park brake is not on.

Richard

Corbin Geiser <c_geiser@...>

Thanks Richard.  I think I will try this method again today.  I would love to get a fitting like Jerry and connect to the reservoir to collect overflow.  Maybe I can determine that size today and get it done.

Corbin Ge!ser

On August 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM, "fastlittleairplanes@... [Q-LIST]" wrote:

We use one of those old timey hand pump oil cans and attach it to the bleeder at the caliper. By back filling the system it only takes one person to do it and will push out any air in the system. If your holding tank is full you will need to pull fluid out so not to make a mess on the back fill. We learned this method after fighting for 2 days to get a dual toe brakes PA28-140 system to work. Does work will all normal GA brake systems do make sure the park brake is not on.

Richard

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

Corbin,
To make the fitting I just drilled a small hole in the screw that came with the master cylinder and epoxied a 1/2" of aluminum tubing to it to slide the plastic tubing over. Jerry

On August 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM, "fastlittleairplanes@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

We use one of those old timey hand pump oil cans and attach it to the bleeder at the caliper. By back filling the system it only takes one person to do it and will push out any air in the system. If your holding tank is full you will need to pull fluid out so not to make a mess on the back fill. We learned this method after fighting for 2 days to get a dual toe brakes PA28-140 system to work. Does work will all normal GA brake systems do make sure the park brake is not on.

Richard

Gary McKirdy

For airheart brakes on taildaggers be sure to lift the tail first to get the air bleed hole at 12 o' clock.

Took me lots of frustrating failed attempts before I discovered that.

Gary McKirdy

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, 14:26 Corbin Geiser c_geiser@... [Q-LIST], <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Thanks Richard.  I think I will try this method again today.  I would love to get a fitting like Jerry and connect to the reservoir to collect overflow.  Maybe I can determine that size today and get it done.

Corbin Ge!ser

On August 16, 2019 at 8:16 AM, "fastlittleairplanes@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

We use one of those old timey hand pump oil cans and attach it to the bleeder at the caliper. By back filling the system it only takes one person to do it and will push out any air in the system. If your holding tank is full you will need to pull fluid out so not to make a mess on the back fill. We learned this method after fighting for 2 days to get a dual toe brakes PA28-140 system to work. Does work will all normal GA brake systems do make sure the park brake is not on.

Richard

Mike Dwyer

If your brake system uses the red stuff... Use MIL-PRF-83282 Fluid.  It has a higher flashpoint than the normal red stuff.  The automotive red hydraulic fluid flashes into fire at quite a low temp.

On my Q200 it's a bitch to get the last little air out.  I've pumped from the caliper and also from the master.  Seems there is always a bit of air in there.  But weirdly enough after some time, the air goes away.  I don't get it but am not going to worry about why!

I like Sams filler for the master but I use this for pumping from the caliper.

Fly Safe,
Mike N3QP Q200

Matthew Curcio

I have had the most like just going to home depot and buying a little tube that will fit snugly over the bleeder. Run that up a foot or two and then into a cup than crack the bleeder and go. You can bleed by yourself and you see when all of the air is out. Just pump slowly and hold a little bit at the end of each stroke before releasing to let the bubbles rise a little bit in the line. It's by far the simplest way to bleed if you ask me.

I have a pressure bottle for reverse bleeding but for some reason it always seems to en-train tiny bubbles of air in the fluid that coalesces in the break lines.