Uavonix ADSB

Jim Patillo

Good afternoon all,

I’m finally ready to install my Uavonix ADSB package and need some help. I didn’t care for the wingtip unit even though it looked a lot easier and faster to install, so I went with the EchoUAT and SKYFX GPS.

The kit consist of (1) EchoUAT, (1) dipole antenna, (1) white hockey puck WASS/SKYFX-GPS antenna and transmitter all in one and (1)wiring harness. These units plug together.

I was planning on mounting the whole thing on an aluminum plate (system needs a ground plane) including the dipole antenna in the baggage area, up high. GPS antenna needs to point up and the dipole antenna needs to point down. I plan on coming off the avionics switch, through a 3A in-line fuse to an intermediate micro switch, then to the unit.
I know Kevin Sheely has done this but was wondering if anyone else has? If so, where did you mount your components?
What type/size ground plane for best range.

Regards,
Jim Patillo
N46JP - Q200
1602 hours

Sent from Outer Space

Paul Fisher

Jim,
I installed that same system in my other plane.  It works well.  uAvionix has a specification for the minimum distance between the UAT antenna and your transponder antenna (3 feet maybe?), so make sure you keep that separation.

Ground plane size should be about the same as you have for your transponder (~6 inches square).  The frequencies are very close, so you can actually use a standard transponder antenna for the UAT.  That's what I did and as I said it works well.

I'm not planning to install ADS-B in my Q.  It's pretty easy for me to stay out of rule airspace here in the midwest!  Obviously you have a much different problem.

Enjoy!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019, 18:28 Jim Patillo logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the input Paul. As you know a metal airplane is a ground plane. Plastics are a little different. I spoke with the engineer who designed the Uavonics equipment. He said they would like 3’ between antennas but 2’ works almost as well. I plan on mounting everything on the ground plane high in the baggage compartment. I’ll let you know how it all turns out.

It’s good to hear from you. I hope your feeling a lot better now.

Best,
Jim
N46JP-Q200

Bruce Crain

Doesn’t the “out” antenna need to have a good “line of sight” to the ground for center to pick it up?  If it is in the top of the baggage compartment won’t either your body, fuel and or engine be in the way forward?
Bruce

On Sep 4, 2019, at 12:38 PM, logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Thanks for the input Paul. As you know a metal airplane is a ground plane. Plastics are a little different. I spoke with the engineer who designed the Uavonics equipment. He said they would like 3’ between antennas but 2’ works almost as well. I plan on mounting everything on the ground plane high in the baggage compartment. I’ll let you know how it all turns out.

It’s good to hear from you. I hope your feeling a lot better now.

Best,
Jim
N46JP-Q200

Bruce Crain

Say Paul did you use the “blade type” transponder antenna or use the supplied stubby antenna!  Just lookin’ for more airspeed....
I have the Uavionics in and out “experimental” non tso package but both are still in the box.
I will be working on a new P-Mag installation next week and trying to shim the motor mount up as the front of the engine is rubbing the cowl.  All of this on the RV.  Will try to get to the Uavionics as soon as I get all of this sorted out.
The TriQ200 is running well!
Bruce

On Sep 3, 2019, at 8:38 PM, Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay Scheevel

Hi Jim,

I mounted my antenna on an 8" aluminum plate (adsb-out only 1090), aft of the FS 120 bulkhead stuck to the side wall in the proper orientation. I did the full blown FAA flight performance summary a couple of times, and it had no underperformance flags. I chose to keep it back farther so it would not have to try to broadcast through my body. I have the Dynon SkyView 2020 compliant transponder.

"logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Thanks for the input Paul. As you know a metal airplane is a ground plane. Plastics are a little different. I spoke with the engineer who designed the Uavonics equipment. He said they would like 3’ between antennas but 2’ works almost as well. I plan on mounting everything on the ground plane high in the baggage compartment. I’ll let you know how it all turns out.

It’s good to hear from you. I hope your feeling a lot better now.

Best,
Jim
N46JP-Q200

Jim Patillo

Bruce good catch. You are probably right, I never thought about it. I will call the Uavonics engineer and run it past him. I'll let you know.

Jay can you email me your phone#. I have a couple of questions.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Paul Fisher

Hey Bruce.  I just used the stick with the ball on it.  It's installed aft of the baggage bulkhead by about a foot.  So far I've been very happy with it.  But as Jim said, the whole plane is a ground plane, so it's pretty simple to install.  Bad news is it has to stick out in the wind, unlike the Q where it can be inside.  Everything is a compromise!

Paul

Bruce Crain

Maybe out in the Wing tip except I don’t know if Imran paint will block the signal?

On Sep 4, 2019, at 6:55 PM, Paul Fisher rv7a.n18pf@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Hey Bruce.  I just used the stick with the ball on it.  It's installed aft of the baggage bulkhead by about a foot.  So far I've been very happy with it.  But as Jim said, the whole plane is a ground plane, so it's pretty simple to install.  Bad news is it has to stick out in the wind, unlike the Q where it can be inside.  Everything is a compromise!

Paul

Jim Patillo

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the input.

I think I’ve come up with an option for the antenna. Kevin down in Florida has the Uavonix setup like mine installed using an electronic antenna which doesn’t require any ground plane. His setup has been tested & flown and works perfectly. The antenna blade is about 1/4”Tx4”Lx1”H for the B&C Connector. Unit is sold by AC Spruce for $98.00.

So I will Velcro the EchoUAT (2x2”) on a bulkhead, double back tape the electronic antenna to the floor of the baggage area and mount the GPS/FX transmitter and antenna (2x3”white hockey puck) high in the baggage area facing up. I’ll then run power from the avionics switch (with inline fuse) so it shuts off power when the plane is shut down.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Dave Dugas

Jim
I'm glad to hear that there's a few uavionix echo installs already, because I am going that route too. I've been looking for more information on you tube and other sites, but haven't seen much. It sounds like it's going to be good, and I'm already used to using my tablet with Avare.
Kevin, if you took some pictures of your installation would you post them? Better yet I hope you both are going to be at the FOD in a couple of weeks.
Hope all is well with you guys... Dave D. (1,100 hours of enjoyment)

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 12:23 AM, logistics_engineering@... [Q-LIST]
wrote:

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the input.

I think I’ve come up with an option for the antenna. Kevin down in Florida has the Uavonix setup like mine installed using an electronic antenna which doesn’t require any ground plane. His setup has been tested & flown and works perfectly. The antenna blade is about 1/4”Tx4”Lx1”H for the B&C Connector. Unit is sold by AC Spruce for $98.00.

So I will Velcro the EchoUAT (2x2”) on a bulkhead, double back tape the electronic antenna to the floor of the baggage area and mount the GPS/FX transmitter and antenna (2x3”white hockey puck) high in the baggage area facing up. I’ll then run power from the avionics switch (with inline fuse) so it shuts off power when the plane is shut down.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Jim Patillo

Hello Dave my old friend. Nice to hear from you.

Yes the UAVONICS system is a good one with simple installation. Especially if you want to keep your Legacy transponder. It looks like an electronic antenna makes it even easier. I’ll report back after mine is installed and tested. Please tell your bride I said hello.

Regards,

Jim
N46JP - Q200
1602 hours

Paul Spackman

Jim I installed an Echo in a friend's Rans S6S. It was a straight forward install. Seems to work quite well. I put a Trig system in my Avid because I did not have a transponder and size was an issue. I sold the Q a couple of days ago so I won't need one for that but would probably go the Echo route also otherwise.
Paul
Signing off.

Jim Patillo

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the input on UAVONICS. I’m sorry to hear you sold your Q. That is a nice bird and engine. combo.

Also thanks again for running down that 66’ Corvette for me. That was an interesting one, wasn’t it.

May you fly straight and level!😊. Blue Skies/fast tailwind.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Jay Scheevel

Hi Paul,
End of an era! Thanks for all of the important help you gave me to get my Jab-powered Q finished and flying. Much appreciated. Did you sell your Q to someone local?

"wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Jim I installed an Echo in a friend's Rans S6S. It was a straight forward install. Seems to work quite well. I put a Trig system in my Avid because I did not have a transponder and size was an issue. I sold the Q a couple of days ago so I won't need one for that but would probably go the Echo route also otherwise.
Paul
Signing off.

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

NO, NO, NO  say it isn't so.

End of an era! Thanks for all of the important help you gave me to get my Jab-powered Q finished and flying. Much appreciated. Did you sell your Q to someone local?

"wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Jim I installed an Echo in a friend's Rans S6S. It was a straight forward install. Seems to work quite well. I put a Trig system in my Avid because I did not have a transponder and size was an issue. I sold the Q a couple of days ago so I won't need one for that but would probably go the Echo route also otherwise.
Paul
Signing off.

Bruce Crain

Whoa!  “Don’t leave me baby”!  At least phone once in a while!

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:19 AM, Jerry Marstall jnmarstall@... [Q-LIST] <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

NO, NO, NO  say it isn't so.

End of an era! Thanks for all of the important help you gave me to get my Jab-powered Q finished and flying. Much appreciated. Did you sell your Q to someone local?

"wypaul2001@... [Q-LIST]" <Q-LIST@...> wrote:

Jim I installed an Echo in a friend's Rans S6S. It was a straight forward install. Seems to work quite well. I put a Trig system in my Avid because I did not have a transponder and size was an issue. I sold the Q a couple of days ago so I won't need one for that but would probably go the Echo route also otherwise.
Paul
Signing off.

Kevin Sheeley

Sorry guys,

I just got my phone pictures onto my PC. Attached are some pictures of my uAvionix echoUAT + SkyFYX GPS installation behind the center seat back.

The antenna I used was the L2 from Advanced Aircraft Electronics which doesn't need a ground plane.

Any questions, email me. kjsheely1 at yahoo dot com

Hopefully you get the 2 attachments.

Kevin