Topics

Transfer Pump "Clicking"

Corbin

Thanks guys!  I’ll check for an air leak but I’m not completely sure where I’d see that.  Any tips?

Corbin

On Mar 21, 2020, at 6:49 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

The facet pumps make a hell of a racket when they run dry.  Could you have an air leak somewhere that's leaking air into the pump.  Do you have a squeeze bulb in parralel?  I've had a squeeze bulb go bad and one time at high altitude the facet pump was not keeping up with my fuel needs but when I got down to 3000 feet then it was ok.  If your pump is noisy then I'd look at pulling it.  Some auto parts stores carry them.
Mike Q200 N3QP

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020, 21:10 Corbin via Groups.Io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Today, my transfer pump was making a clicking sound from startup to shutdown.  It seemed as though it was pumping into the header tank just fine though as fuel was passing back down through the overflow tube from header back to main.  The sound was similar to when the pump starts to run dry but maybe a bit louder.  Is this a sign that pump could be failing?  I had about 12 gallons in the main tank so it was nowhere near running dry?

Corbin Ge!ser

--

Corbin
N33QR

--

Corbin
N33QR

Bruce Crain

I agree with Mike.  When the tank runs dry the pump gets a lot louder!  Then I start looking for a runway!
Also clean out the fuel filter.  You can not see fiberglass in the filters!
Bruce Crain

On Mar 21, 2020, at 8:32 AM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

Good thought Mike.  If it’s grabbing air that would definitely cause it cuz yes they make a lot of noise pulling air.  I remember being over the desert thinking I had an hour more in the main tank than I did and hearing that pump on the dry tank!!   Quite sobering.   I added a reliable gauge to the main tank soon after!!!

Good luck Corbin.   It may just be a small leak.  Look for bubbles.

Martin

On Mar 21, 2020, at 4:49 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

[...]

Martin Skiby

[...]

Mike Dwyer

[...]

I’m gonna agree with Jay,  if it makes you think about it then change it out.

Martin

On Mar 20, 2020, at 8:17 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Corbin,
If it makes you think about it, then replace it. Not worth the worry, it won't get better on its own, and they are not that expensive. My two cents.

"Corbin via Groups.Io" <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Mine only makes the clicking sound when the main tank gets low and the pump is running “dry”.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N33QR

Jay Scheevel

Hi Corbin,
If it makes you think about it, then replace it. Not worth the worry, it won't get better on its own, and they are not that expensive. My two cents.

"Corbin via Groups.Io" <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Mine only makes the clicking sound when the main tank gets low and the pump is running “dry”.

Corbin

> On Mar 20, 2020, at 8:24 PM, Joe Hood <joe.hood@...> wrote:

--
Corbin
N33QR

Corbin

Mine only makes the clicking sound when the main tank gets low and the pump is running “dry”.

Corbin

On Mar 20, 2020, at 8:24 PM, Joe Hood <joe.hood@...> wrote:
--
Corbin
N33QR

Joe Hood

Is it supposed to make noise? The one in my Q2 does. Now the Citabria I'm using for a tail-wheel endorsement is quiet (and the 172 is loud).