Topics

Watch “Dr. Steve’s first solo flight in his Q2 - 1989” on Vimeo

Jim Patillo

Q2 - 1989 https://vimeo.com/16817064?ref=em-share

I thought some of you newer guys might like to watch Dr. Steve K’s first solo flight in his Quickie. Definitely not a good way to start.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Jim Patillo

I thought some of you newer fellas might enjoy watching Dr. Steve K’s first solo flight in his Quickie.

Jim
N46JP Q200
Sent from Outer Space

John Hoxie

Jim,

I would not have relished Dr. Steve's position landing on that short of runway, with obstacles at both ends without an airbrake. Do you know what the runway length was? Is he still flying currently? If I ever finish my Q, although my local runway is 4,200 feet in elevation, it's 9,200 feet long and 100 feet wide.

John Hoxie
He is no fool, who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not loose -- Jim Elliot

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 12:32:34 AM MDT, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

I thought some of you newer guys might like to watch Dr. Steve K’s first solo flight in his Quickie. Definitely not a good way to start.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Corbin

That was a bit frightening to watch.

Jim - I can relate....I brought mine to a 7,000ft x 150ft runway to finish off my training and solo (600ft msl).

Corbin

--

Corbin
N33QR

Jim Patillo

Hi John,

Steve passed away in 2010 as the highest time pilot in a Q with over 2,300 hours. Don’t know the runway length but I remember him as being Canadian.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

I would not have relished Dr. Steve's position landing on that short of runway, with obstacles at both ends without an airbrake. Do you know what the runway length was? Is he still flying currently? If I ever finish my Q, although my local runway is 4,200 feet in elevation, it's 9,200 feet long and 100 feet wide.

John Hoxie
He is no fool, who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not loose -- Jim Elliot

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 12:32:34 AM MDT, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

I thought some of you newer guys might like to watch Dr. Steve K’s first solo flight in his Quickie. Definitely not a good way to start.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Corbin

Sorry....meant John below not Jim.

On April 9, 2020 at 9:50 AM, "Corbin via groups.io" <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[...]

Correction, my runway is 150 feet wide.

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 08:50:33 AM MDT, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

Rik

Was that all down to airspeed management? Other than the ground loop.

Jeffrey Bevilacqua

I suspect one of his problems that he was not focused far enough down the runway during round out. He was also having issues with his pitch sensitivity.
Jeff

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:05:51 AM PDT, Rik <info@...> wrote:

Was that all down to airspeed management? Other than the ground loop.

Jay Scheevel

This is all I have of my first flight. No access to the ramp for my cameraman, so this starts with me having already flown 7500 feet along the runway. It was a pretty day and no drama. 😊

https://youtu.be/gvZN0Yos5R4

I suspect one of his problems that he was not focused far enough down the runway during round out. He was also having issues with his pitch sensitivity.

Jeff

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 11:05:51 AM PDT, Rik <info@...> wrote:

Was that all down to airspeed management? Other than the ground loop.

David Cyr

Lachute Airport    https://skyvector.com/airport/CSE4/Lachute-Airport
Dimensions:3989 x 100 feet.
Surface: asphalt
Remarks Runway 10 Runway 28 Runway
Heading:101°281°
Displaced Threshold: 895 feet 210 feet

Dorothea Keats

I have watched  Dr Steve flight several times. Each time I get anxious and can feel my stomach churn.

 I can empathize with him as I have had some interesting experiences.

Watching the video, I applaud Dr Steve for not giving up and learning every time he goes around.

 If you do the right thing , that's great, if you do the wrong thing, you will soon learn to do the right thing, and if you do nothing, you are wasting your time.

  Although video distorts a lot, it appears as if he is always high, tries to get it down and gets too much speed and then can't slow down to land.

 He obviously learned and flew many hrs. It's a great video.------------  Chris

My first flight was nothing like this and I’m sure many others experienced the same as me on their first flight, as it was a non event.

Apparently Steve didn’t have much if any complex or fast slick airplane time. As the old timers on this list know, it’s all about controlling speed and not over controlling the plane.
Every time he was too high and too fast and out of control. I’m just glad he finally got it and went on to put all those hours on his Q which I don’t believe has been matched to this day. I think Rene knew him well. He flew in the tribute flight to Steve.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Brad Baerg

Dr. Steve was a hanger partner of mine for many years, and was a great guy. He was a low time pilot on Cesnas before flying the Q and eventually got very good at short field landings.

Steve loved to fly and made many cross country trips from his home base in Abbotsford B.C. to places like Reno, Vegas, Oshgosh ( 3 times ) and Whitehourse in the Yucon Terratories.

Steve eventually switched to a Jabaru 6 cyl engine after having 3 engine bloc failers with the Revmaster.

Steve was a good friend, and still miss him