Topics

Q1 Project

Martin Skiby

My son is currently looking for a Q1 that is flying or close to it and needs some work.  He would like it for some testing of a new engine being developed locally.

Anyone have one they would let go reasonable?

Thanks

Jay Scheevel

There was a guy working on installing an electric motor in a Q1 (I think it was a university project) a few years ago. He had it in Tehachapi. Not sure if that was ever finished and/or is still there. Maybe that became the ill-fated twin jet Q1 at Mojave?  Maybe Mathew Curcio has some more updated news on whether that project may be available.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Martin Skiby
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 11:24 AM
To: 'main@Q-List.groups.io' <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Q1 Project

My son is currently looking for a Q1 that is flying or close to it and needs some work.  He would like it for some testing of a new engine being developed locally.

Thanks

Kevin R. Walsh

That is Henry's Q1.  It was in Tehachapi, but last I heard it was moved to Mojave, and taxi testing had been completed.  It is NOT the same as the TWERP Q1 that Elliot had the emergency landing in.  

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

There was a guy working on installing an electric motor in a Q1 (I think it was a university project) a few years ago. He had it in Tehachapi. Not sure if that was ever finished and/or is still there. Maybe that became the ill-fated twin jet Q1 at Mojave?  Maybe Mathew Curcio has some more updated news on whether that project may be available.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

--
Kevin

Robert Cringely

That electric Q1 isn't a Q1, exactly. It's from Quickie founder Gene Sheehan and is a completely new design, all carbon fiber, and actually a bit smaller than a Q1. I doubt that it is for sale. MY Q1 is definitely not for sale.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Jay Scheevel

No, that was diffferent. The Sheehan one actually flew in the electric challenge that the Pipestral won. The one I am thinking of was a standard construction Q1 and was at Tehachapi. Sheehans was constructed entirely at Mojave. Two different planes.

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Cringely
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 12:37 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Q1 Project

That electric Q1 isn't a Q1, exactly. It's from Quickie founder Gene Sheehan and is a completely new design, all carbon fiber, and actually a bit smaller than a Q1. I doubt that it is for sale. MY Q1 is definitely not for sale.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Tristan Vincent-Philpot

Maybe you’re thinking of Henry Hallam’s electric Q1. I’ve seen it taxi on a video somewhere. It’s all gone quiet recently. I hope it’s still progressing behind the scenes.
I also have a Q1 that is the basis of an electric version, not for sale either. Sorry.

Tristan

On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:54 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

No, that was diffferent. The Sheehan one actually flew in the electric challenge that the Pipestral won. The one I am thinking of was a standard construction Q1 and was at Tehachapi. Sheehans was constructed entirely at Mojave. Two different planes.

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Cringely

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Just curious, could you tell us a little about the engine?

Martin Skiby

Keith,

My son is looking at installing a Pegasus 0100 in a Q1.  The engine is a completely engineered two cylinder engine that uses an 0200 accessory case and jugs.

-----------------------------------------

To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Thursday April 9 2020 12:12:32PM

Tristan Vincent-Philpot

Zero motorcycles powertrain. 2014 SR model. 11.4kWh Battery, BMS, 67hp motor, controller, ‘Throttle’, display, etc. The powertrain wont know it’s not in a motorcycle.

Started the research for Project SQuERTA (Facebook page) back in 2014, bought the Q1 minus FWF in 2016, bought the motorcycle in 2018, spent nearly two years out of the country. Now back and hoping to make progress later this year. In the meantime other people have overtaken and are blazing a trail. I wish them the very best of luck. Someone needs to reach the finish line and demonstrate what can be done.

Stalled for lack of cash/other priorities, but definitely still on the to-do list.

Tristan

On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Keith Welsh <klw494@...> wrote:

Richard Kaczmarek 3RD

We still have another Q1 we might part with but I'm sure Georgia is a bit farther than you want to travel to get one.

Richard Kaczmarek 
Aviation Composites LLC 

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/9/20 2:59 PM (GMT-05:00)

Maybe you’re thinking of Henry Hallam’s electric Q1. I’ve seen it taxi on a video somewhere. It’s all gone quiet recently. I hope it’s still progressing behind the scenes.
I also have a Q1 that is the basis of an electric version, not for sale either. Sorry.

Tristan

Jay

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Martin Skiby

Thanks Richard,  I will let Jason know.

We have relatives that way so may be a good road trip.

Does it have a removable tail or?

Can you send me a few pictures to my e-mail please.?

Cc:
Sent: Thursday April 9 2020 8:43:39PM

We still have another Q1 we might part with but I'm sure Georgia is a bit farther than you want to travel to get one.

Richard Kaczmarek 
Aviation Composites LLC 

Tristan

Jay

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Martin Skiby

Jason my be reaching out to you also.

Cc:
Sent: Thursday April 9 2020 8:43:39PM

Richard Kaczmarek 
Aviation Composites LLC 

Tristan

Jay

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks