From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of John Lewis <john@...>
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 1:53 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Q-2 construction

Greetings,

I am new to the group, but I could use some wisdom.  My Q-2 is basically complete with wheels and brakes and all, but I need to work on the bottom.  The engine is off.  Any great ideas for how to turn the beast over without harming it?  I am pretty isolated out in the country, so plans that involve a dozen friends are not very practical.  I have some 2 X 4's screwed to the engine mount and was planning to roll it over on its nose, and I do have a forklift.  Thanks in advance.

John Lewis

John Hoxie

I've done it myself with the tail section, engine & canopy all off and instro panel out. Be careful you don't sit it on your fuel vent box ram air tube, like I did if you have one.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:32 PM, Jim Patillo
<Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:
John,

Your plan will work but I would suggest finding 2 or 3 people to help you flip it. That way you have much better control than strapping it to a forklift and possibly damaging the fiberglass.

I am new to the group, but I could use some wisdom.  My Q-2 is basically complete with wheels and brakes and all, but I need to work on the bottom.  The engine is off.  Any great ideas for how to turn the beast over without harming it?  I am pretty isolated out in the country, so plans that involve a dozen friends are not very practical.  I have some 2 X 4's screwed to the engine mount and was planning to roll it over on its nose, and I do have a forklift.  Thanks in advance.

John Lewis

Jon Finley

Somewhere… probably old newsletters… someone used some “half circles” made of plywood and secured to the firewall. The half circles were large – extended all the way to ground whilst sitting on the gear. This allowed tipping the tail up and all the way over using the plywood as the pivot.  Secured well enough, it seemed like a good option for a one man operation (and a come-a-long or rope and pulley).  Probably not describing it very clearly….

Jon

--
Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4

Michael Dunning

Here ya go!

Q-talk 99 - Simple Tool Big Help

There's another one where John Loram used a bag of cedar chips to get the job done. Sadly, the photos are now missing... Still good tips on moving one around the shop on furniture dollies.

Q-talk 145 - Flipping the Bird

Finally, don't forget the (in)famous Marstall tail cradle, if you haven't built one yet:

Sam Hoskins Blog - Making Progress Ain't Always Easy

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

John Lewis

To all:
Wow, thanks for all the input.  I especially liked the reference to the Marshall Tail Cradle.  I ended up strapping a cargo carrier to the longerons with ratchet clamps, and hoisted it up to balance on the nose with a forklift.  The rope was attached to the seat belts and the cargo carrier kept it from touching fiberglass.  The rope was then moved to the other side of the wing to lower it down.  It helped that three friends came over to supervise and steady things.
John Lewis N393JT

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)