ISO TriQ nose gear

ryan goodman

Anyone have a TriQ nose great they're not in need if and are willing to part with for less than one of my kidneys? Or at the very least one I could pay to have shipped to me for reference for making a new one. I can't seem to find the plans/diagrams etc for the nose gear specifically and mine is toast. Unless maybe I'm just blind and not seeing them in the TriQ conversion plans. In which case I'm happy to be directed to the place my own stupidity is failing to find... Let me know and thanks in advance!!
     Ryan G. COS

Jay Scheevel

Hi Ryan,

I would contact Scott Swing at Velocity Aircraft. He built the original Tri-Q conversion kit while working for QAC, and built a limited number of replacement gear for some of us in the early 2000's using the Velocity Aircraft tooling and facilities. He may be willing to build one for a price or at least give you the dimensions and specs. If not maybe Richard Kazmeric would have the specs.

"ryan goodman via groups.io" <elboy0712@...> wrote:

Anyone have a TriQ nose great they're not in need if and are willing to part with for less than one of my kidneys? Or at the very least one I could pay to have shipped to me for reference for making a new one. I can't seem to find the plans/diagrams etc for the nose gear specifically and mine is toast. Unless maybe I'm just blind and not seeing them in the TriQ conversion plans. In which case I'm happy to be directed to the place my own stupidity is failing to find... Let me know and thanks in advance!!
     Ryan G. COS

ryan goodman

Edited

I've talked to Scott. There's some post kit history that makes it complicated. Scott trusted Richard to produce the product. He didn't  No fault of Scott's. Richard owes me a nose gear already. He has owed it to me and not delivered for years. I'm not the only one he's not delivered things to owes to but I've chosen to not make a stink. So I'm trying to solve my own problem. Just looking for data at this point to help me do that. Thanks again, Ryan!

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 8:38 PM, Jay Scheevel
<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard Kaczmarek 3RD

First off Ryan you never paid for a new nose gear. We discontinued making Q parts because it costed us more in time material and labor then the community was willing to pay for it. As of the time we closed the doors on Fast Little Airplanes we had not received or owed anyone money. The Q stuff was given away to one of the members in the RAFM and when he gets some free time here soon he will offer the parts once again. Fact is we had to step away as the Qs were costing us more to support then we were making. By folks being CHEAP and unwilling to pay what it cost to produce parts it bankrupted the business and forced me to let it all go. This attitude among owners is what one member of this group warned me about years ago and I have to concede that he was correct. This is the same reason NVaero had to quit with the KR aircraft. If folks want to continue being cheap the value of the fleet will continue to spiral down and support will continue to disappear.

Richard

[Edited Message Follows]

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

One Sky Dog

Richard,

I could not sell Dragonfly carbon spinners to the crowd but just paid 3 times that for a composite spinner for my Tri-Pacer.

Sometimes the cheapest thing in the airplane is the pilot.

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve S

Shit I can't even sell a tri q kit I have laying around

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 2:37 PM, One Sky Dog via groups.io
<Oneskydog@...> wrote:
Richard,

I could not sell Dragonfly carbon spinners to the crowd but just paid 3 times that for a composite spinner for my Tri-Pacer.

Sometimes the cheapest thing in the airplane is the pilot.

Charlie

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Actually Richard you included the new nose great on the purchase of my plane. So yes I did pay for it. I'm more than happy to post the years worth of messages where you promised to deliver over and over and then ignored me when I asked for it. So I would suggest you not even try to lie about Richard.

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

JMasal@...

RK
Just to exercise my management degree a bit (and actual experience) a business bankrupts NOT from CHEAP customers but POOR management. Own that, don't pass the buck.
If you price the product for a profit and it is too high, customers won't buy. If they don't buy don't make more, get the hell outta that product, make something else or quit because
YOU didn't understand the market. Freshman economic theory!

j.

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Sam Hoskins

Okay.

Enough people have had their say. Paul and I are even getting emails off-line. So here's the scoop. This forum isn't Facebook, so we'll play nice here , right? If you have something to settle with some one, do it somewheres else. We have over 800 people on this list, please remember that when you post something.

We don't want to get any more notices that people are dropping off the list because they don't like the tone of what they are reading.

Any more posts that make me uncomfortable will result in a demotion to 100% moderated status.

Capisce?

Sam (and probably Paul)

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Patrick Panzera

With all that being said, is there anyone who can help Ryan?

He has a broken Tri-Q that he desperately wants to get in the air,
has the drive, motivation and wherewithal, and wouldn't we love to
see a Q brought back to life and in the air? I would!

So let's help him out if you can.

He'd ideally like to buy one and install it in place of the broken one he has,
or borrow one that he can duplicate and return.

OR! Maybe someone who has access to one can take some photos and
measurements and send them along so he can build one?

It's really hard to duplicate repair parts of an orphaned kitplane like the Q.

Let's help Ryan get in the air!

Pat

ryan goodman via groups.io <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Sep 7, 2020, 6:11 PM
to Q-list

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil Lankford

Where is Ryan located?  I have access to two Tri-Qs. Might be able to help. He can pm me. Phil

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil, I'm in Colorado Springs. My email is below.

elboy0712@...

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello Ryan. I think that item may be the early version of the nose gear. I have a non-damaged, non-repaired sample of that and I might be willing to part with it but would recommend going for the later version. We are attempting to white light dimensionally scan the new version from out two examples here at KSEE. It would be better to get you II to a more robust design if at all possible. Here are some images of the early version that I have on hand. You can compare the images and let me know if it resembles what you now have.

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Does anyone on the list know the diameter, wall thickness (or solid bar), metal alloy and temper of the Tri-Q nose gear?

Phil

On Oct 12, 2020, at 8:36 PM, Phil Lankford via groups.io <britmcman@...> wrote:

Hello Ryan. I think that item may be the early version of the nose gear. I have a non-damaged, non-repaired sample of that and I might be willing to part with it but would recommend going for the later version. We are attempting to white light dimensionally scan the new version from out two examples here at KSEE. It would be better to get you II to a more robust design if at all possible. Here are some images of the early version that I have on hand. You can compare the images and let me know if it resembles what you now have.

<image.jpg>
<image.jpg>
<image.jpg>
<image.jpg>
<image.jpg>

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

O.156 wall 1 1/4" I.D. heat treated to Rockwell 43. Same layout as the original 1" gear just has a heavier wall tubing and a 1/4" more diameter.

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Fantastic. That helps loads. Thanks, Phil

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

gbrighton@...

Um .. Is that Chrome Molly .. or or ??
Thanks,
Charles,

.

Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 2:49 PM

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

It's  4130 and we always bought it from Wicks Aircraft Supply so we could guarantee we got American or German steel no the dirty stuff from China and yes it does make a difference.

<jay@...> wrote:
[...]

Is it bent hot or cold?

With or without a mandrel?

Pat

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020, 3:42 AM Richard Kaczmarek 3RD <fastlittleairplanes@...> wrote:
It's  4130 and we always bought it from Wicks Aircraft Supply so we could guarantee we got American or German steel no the dirty stuff from China and yes it does make a difference.

O.156 wall 1 1/4" I.D. heat treated to Rockwell 43. Same layout as the original 1" gear just has a heavier wall tubing and a 1/4" more diameter.

Richard Kaczmarek 3RD

They are mandrel bent cold with internal support to prevent tube flattening. All welding completed and ultraviolet dye pen tested before and after heat treating for weld and tube crack inspection.