New to Quickies


 

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


Brian Larick
 

Welcome Cody.  There’s a ton of info here and knowledge as well.  I have a similar kit that I still need to start on.  

Basics are:
Build to plans
Read the newsletters
Start with the intro to building in the instructions to gain skill with construction.
Do the “six pack” mods
Do a little every day.
This group is fantastic
Also
Canardzone
Quickheads
Others.
Check out Corbin’s “Quirky” videos any others on YouTube

Have fun I hope to do the same.



Brian

On Sep 30, 2020, at 20:16, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


 

So far I've hit all the sites and videos. Watched Burt Rutans composite instructions. Tried sourcing cnc foam cores. (Waiting on quotes)  found damage to a spar on the outboard end, and watched a quickie rebuild playlist on YouTube ad well


Jay Scheevel
 

Hi Cody,

 

Wing foam is available from Aircraft Spruce. Same wing foam and glass as the long-EZ.

Watch the following videos to know what you are getting into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nNadZKI6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZYc1nyhJdc

 

Then read the following:

http://n8wq.scheevel.com/documents/RAF_composite_education_section_from_Q2Plans.pdf

 

Once you have decided this type of project is what you want to commit to, then start asking questions from this group, and there will be lots of good information coming your way.

 

If you decide to build, make sure you use a proper respirator and protective gloves and clothing right from the start (which was not done in the early days and a lot of people became sensitized to the epoxy and had to quit because of allergic rashes)

 

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 builder

 

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Larick
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 6:26 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] New to Quickies

 

Welcome Cody.  There’s a ton of info here and knowledge as well.  I have a similar kit that I still need to start on.  

 

Basics are:

Build to plans

Read the newsletters

Start with the intro to building in the instructions to gain skill with construction.

Do the “six pack” mods

Do a little every day.

This group is fantastic

Also

Canardzone

Quickheads

Others.

Check out Corbin’s “Quirky” videos any others on YouTube

 

Have fun I hope to do the same.

 

 

Brian



On Sep 30, 2020, at 20:16, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


 

Well, I've decided to give it a go. I have already watched both those videos twice before joining this forum. I'll probably watch them a few more times before I start the project. I have questions about fiberglass strength, carbon fiber etc. I know carbons expensive as all get out. Bidirectional cloth seems easy to find. The unicloth seems harder. Aircraft spruce is kind of expensive. Are there other sources to consider? 


Brian Larick
 

Cody are you getting a quote from Eureka CNC?  Last I talked to him Quickie Q200 was a custom as he’d rebuilt his machine.

Anyway, be interested in the number depending on what you asked for.  I.e.  All hot wire cores or just some?  Maybe do a combo deal and split the setup cost.



Brian

On Sep 30, 2020, at 22:10, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Well, I've decided to give it a go. I have already watched both those videos twice before joining this forum. I'll probably watch them a few more times before I start the project. I have questions about fiberglass strength, carbon fiber etc. I know carbons expensive as all get out. Bidirectional cloth seems easy to find. The unicloth seems harder. Aircraft spruce is kind of expensive. Are there other sources to consider? 


Jay Scheevel
 

Hi Cody,
Build per plans with glass. If you use carbon fiber you need to do a complete engineering analysis. There could be unintended stress concentrations or failure modes that can only be identified with an engineering evaluation. The plane can be a built quite light without resorting to alternative materials.

Cheers,
Jay

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID


Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Well, I've decided to give it a go. I have already watched both those videos twice before joining this forum. I'll probably watch them a few more times before I start the project. I have questions about fiberglass strength, carbon fiber etc. I know carbons expensive as all get out. Bidirectional cloth seems easy to find. The unicloth seems harder. Aircraft spruce is kind of expensive. Are there other sources to consider? 


 

I called Eureka CNC he said hes changed his machine and wasn't sure if he was interested in cutting quickie wings anymore. He hadn't transferred the numbers to his new machine. But I called Mohr composites? Up in Maryland, hes cut some wings for experimental and quickies at that. So I'm waiting on his quote. 


On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 23:29 Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:
Hi Cody,
Build per plans with glass. If you use carbon fiber you need to do a complete engineering analysis. There could be unintended stress concentrations or failure modes that can only be identified with an engineering evaluation. The plane can be a built quite light without resorting to alternative materials.

Cheers,
Jay

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID


Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Well, I've decided to give it a go. I have already watched both those videos twice before joining this forum. I'll probably watch them a few more times before I start the project. I have questions about fiberglass strength, carbon fiber etc. I know carbons expensive as all get out. Bidirectional cloth seems easy to find. The unicloth seems harder. Aircraft spruce is kind of expensive. Are there other sources to consider? 


Phillip
 

Cody,
I’m working on a Q200 partially built. My kit did not have a backing list with it. I’m looking for the list of all plane parts. Thanks. 
Phillip


On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


Brian Larick
 

Philip.  I have packing lists.  There are several.  Any in particular?  
Also, I believe there are packing lists in the Q-list files...

If someone knows they’re not here, Let me know and I’ll dig out mine for upload.

Brian

On Oct 1, 2020, at 08:42, Phillip <Rayphillip123@...> wrote:

 Cody,
I’m working on a Q200 partially built. My kit did not have a backing list with it. I’m looking for the list of all plane parts. Thanks. 
Phillip


On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


Brian Larick
 

Cody, if you need a full set of cores let me know.  I think it might be good to go back to Eureka with an order of 2 for pricing.  He has a strong reputation.

Brian

On Oct 1, 2020, at 08:42, Phillip <Rayphillip123@...> wrote:

 Cody,
I’m working on a Q200 partially built. My kit did not have a backing list with it. I’m looking for the list of all plane parts. Thanks. 
Phillip


On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


Jay Scheevel
 

I have loaded a pdf to the files section with complete packing lists for my complete Q200 kit.

 

Cheers,

Jay

 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Larick
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2020 6:52 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] New to Quickies

 

Philip.  I have packing lists.  There are several.  Any in particular?  

Also, I believe there are packing lists in the Q-list files...

 

If someone knows they’re not here, Let me know and I’ll dig out mine for upload.

Brian



On Oct 1, 2020, at 08:42, Phillip <Rayphillip123@...> wrote:

 Cody,

I’m working on a Q200 partially built. My kit did not have a backing list with it. I’m looking for the list of all plane parts. Thanks. 

Phillip



On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


Phillip
 

There are list of tools but not pieces and parts of the plane i.e. 4 blocks of foam 52”x36”x18”, 24 fine thread number 32 screws 


On Oct 1, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Brian Larick <blarick@...> wrote:

 Cody, if you need a full set of cores let me know.  I think it might be good to go back to Eureka with an order of 2 for pricing.  He has a strong reputation.

Brian

On Oct 1, 2020, at 08:42, Phillip <Rayphillip123@...> wrote:

 Cody,
I’m working on a Q200 partially built. My kit did not have a backing list with it. I’m looking for the list of all plane parts. Thanks. 
Phillip


On Sep 30, 2020, at 9:00 PM, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

Head I'm an Avionics Manager in Bartlesville, OK. A friend of mine just gave me a quickie Q200 kit less engine and wing foams. I'm going to need some help and tips on how to start this thing so I don't get frustrated and quit. This is my chance to make an airplane to be proud of without the frustrating mistakes of typed airplanes hopefully. PLEASE HELP!


Michael Dunning
 

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 07:59 PM, Cody wrote:
...found damage to a spar on the outboard end..
Can you post some pictures or a description of what you found? Needing a new carbon spar might complicate things a bit...
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)


Jim Patillo
 

Cody, carbon spars are repairable, trust me!

Look at the Carbon Spar Repair in the files section under my name. I have over 1,450 hours on that repair, which was in a much more questionable area and harder to get to than yours. Further, forget Carbon Fiber use in this plane. You will move stress loads where they do not want to reside. Show some pictures of the area and spar.

Jim
N46JP Q200





From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Michael <dunningme@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 1, 2020 9:04 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] New to Quickies
 
On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 07:59 PM, Cody wrote:
...found damage to a spar on the outboard end..
Can you post some pictures or a description of what you found? Needing a new carbon spar might complicate things a bit...
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Virus-free. www.avast.com


 

I will post pictures as soon as I get back to bartlesville. I'm currently fixing some falcon jets up in Maryland. 


boss.arsik007
 

can anybody be friend of mine and give me any Quickie kit plans?