"Darting" to Left on Slow Speed Taxi

Corbin

Edited

Well, I thought today would be the first day I flew with the new Lightspeed ignition.  My plan was to do a couple high speed taxi tests and, if all was well, then depart for a test flight.  However, when simply taxiing down to the runup area it "darted" left on me twice.  I don't think it was because my feet aren't awake from not flying.  It just seemed to randomly "dart" left.

The pedals and brakes feel normal and there is no play in the rudder cables.  Could it be the left tire/caliper is grabbing but then releasing.  I don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

I had a camera recording but not with the tailwheel in view.  Here is the video in case you want to see the "dart" and have any ideas for me to look into tomorrow.  I included the startup just for fun.  Skip to 1:15 and 2:15 for the two darts before I decided to head back to the hangar.

https://youtu.be/LpUadPr6480

Could it simply be wind gusts....they started picking up around that time.  My heading on taxi was 360 and winds were 160 18-26kts....

Thanks,

Corbin
--

Corbin
N33QR

Corbin,
Going by my past experience I think is a tail wind issue. I’ve had this happen to me in similar situations. Try to go into the wind and see what the results are.

MikeQ200wannabe

On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:33 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Thanks Mike.  I would be thrilled if that’s all it is.  I’ll go back out in the morning.

Corbin

On Dec 22, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Mike via groups.io <n7000t@...> wrote:

[...]

I’m not in my Q yet but in other tailwheel airplanes you always have to be ready.
You haven’t messed with anything else but your engine area.

Mike

On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:46 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[...]

Agreed.  This just wasn't the normal feel I have had in the Quickie before.  Of course, I probably haven't taxied with this strong of a tailwind.
--

Corbin
N33QR

Yep, something for me to keep in mind when my time comes

Mike

On Dec 22, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Agreed.  This just wasn't the normal feel I have had in the Quickie before.  Of course, I probably haven't taxied with this strong of a tailwind.
--

Corbin
N33QR

Jim Patillo

Hi Corbin,

I would try it again tomorrow knowing same thing could happen. Be ready for it and try to get a better handle on how it’s happening. How much fluid do you have in the reservoir? Over filling is not good.

I would jack up the plane and check to make sure the tires are rotating freely in both directions. Minimal to no drag. Tires are properly inflated.

Get in the plane and have a friend spin the tire and apply brakes. Make sure they are solid. I think you have a swiveling tail wheel.
Make sure it breaks loose at 28 degrees, both directions when you are applying rudder. Make sure you can lock up either tire and rotate on it.

Finally, being new to the Q and not having much time in it can make one fairly anxious after a layoff in flying it. Just take your time and make sure it’s the airplane and not you. When I’m down for any length of time, the first flight seems uncomfortable for 10 minutes or so. Then it’s back to business.

Merry Christmas
Jim
N46JP - Q200

Sent from Outer Space

[...]

Good recommendations, Jim.  Thank you.  The first thing I started to do when I taxied back was jack it up and examine that left tire.  The reservoir is about 3/4 full but I will double-check that tomorrow to be certain.  Tires are at 42psi today but I hear some go with 50psi?

I will do as you guys say and try another taxi without a tailwind and then proceed from there.
--

Corbin
N33QR

Martin Skiby

Try without the wind before doing anything would be my recommendation.

Martin

[...]

Hey Martin!  I was thinking the same.   Just checked winds for tomorrow and it’s only getting stronger the next day or two.  Direct crosswinds up to 25kts.  I’ll still try since it won’t be a headwind.  Low speed taxi work.  But will do again on a more calm day.

Corbin

On Dec 22, 2020, at 6:19 PM, Martin Skiby <mskiby@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Walterson

Corbin--- Regarding your tire pressure. It is not the same, but on my Dragonfly , 735 lbs empty, I  use only about 30lbs. On my Super Quickie also. Makes the taxi  and landing more comfortable. On my Super Quickie, if I taxied on rough surface such as grass, it would dart all over. As for your swerving, go taxi a short coupled biplane in a crosswind and you will understand why you never see one taxi fast.

 Have fun----------  Chris

Yep. Quartering tailwinds on the ground or landing can be interesting. My least favorite of all landings. I presume there may have been  some tailwind?

I think you’ll be fine. Good luck with the ignitions. You’re gonna love them. What were you able to get the rpms down to?

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Good recommendations, Jim.  Thank you.  The first thing I started to do when I taxied back was jack it up and examine that left tire.  The reservoir is about 3/4 full but I will double-check that tomorrow to be certain.  Tires are at 42psi today but I hear some go with 50psi?

I will do as you guys say and try another taxi without a tailwind and then proceed from there.
--

Corbin
N33QR

Martin Skiby

Tail wind in a tail dragger is a bad mix.

I hope it is that easy.  Good luck.

Martin

On Dec 22, 2020, at 4:23 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim,

Yes, there was definitely a tailwind and it was gusting so it is starting to make the most sense this is what it was.  For low rpm's I got it down to 500-525 with it leaned out.  But my fear is that after landing, as I am slowing down, that it will die as I would still be full rich and not always remember to lean during rollout.  So I think I will need to increase idle rpm up to 600-650 so it is happy full rich.  Thoughts?
--

Corbin
N33QR

Corbin

Thanks Chris....at 30psi, my tires sure look flat but you are likely right in that it is less squirrely than 45-50psi.
--

Corbin
N33QR

Mike Dwyer

That's a lot of wind on your tail.  My guess is that your "darts" were wind caused.
Fly safe,
Mike Q200 N3QP

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020, 16:33 Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

David J. Gall

So you’re taxiing downwind at idle at 15 kts. with a tailwind gusting 18-26 kts. from 20 degrees to the right off your tail. Basically, your vertical stabilizer/rudder is at zero airspeed gusting to -10 kts. airspeed. Any change of wind direction to be more from the left off your tail is going to be changing the roll moment imparted by the wing dihedral as much as the yaw moment imparted by the vertical stab/rudder. I think almost any taildragger would behave similarly, but the Quickie main gear is known to be a little more responsive to roll coupling than other planes. Did it do anything similar on the taxi back to the hangar when you had a headwind? If not, I’d diagnose it as “Corbin flies his Quickie when mere mortals cower in the hangar.”

JMHO

[...]

Jay Scheevel

Good to hear from you David. I thought you had “gone dark”, but nice to know you are still out there.

[...]

Love that last line, David.  It didn't do it on the way back but I also went much slower and cautious.  But I still think it was indeed the tailwind.  I didn't go back out today due to low-level wind shear on the surface and more gusting conditions.
--

Corbin
N33QR

Jim Patillo

David, you are still a funny guy! Corbin is just earning his Quickie Wings.

Hope all is well with you and your family. Do you still live in CA or are you domiciled somewhere else? I don’t hear you on NorCal.

Merry Christmas
Jim
N46JP Q200

Sent from Outer Space