December flight

Dave Dugas

As Christmas approached I wondered if I would be able to get a chance to fly before the end of the year, especially since we got a foot of snow last week. I like to try to get a flight each month during the year, and since I don't plow the hangar, it rarely happens. It poured all day on Christmas and was 60 degrees, totally melting the snow. Today was 35 degrees, bright sun and calm conditions, a pretty good day for a flight.
I got to the airport at 1:00 and plugged in my pre-heater for about an hour while I straightened out my bench. I strapped in, closed the canopy, and let the sun do it's thing. It didn't take long for the temperature in the cockpit to get comfortable. It's a bit tough to start when it's cold, but it fired up and in about a minute it was running smoothly. It's been over a month since I flew last, and it felt good to taxi to runway 32 after a 7 or 8 minute warm-up.
The density altitude today was minus 1200 feet so my take off was really short. Climb out with the Remaster felt like I had an IO 360 under the cowl. As I climbed to 3000 feet, I was experiencing a bit of engine roughness, which is common for me when the OAT is below 40 degrees or so. I leveled off and applied carb heat, leaned the mixture, and within a minute all was good. I fly my Q2 with full carb heat and leaned when I'm in these conditions, and I'm very comfortable with this setup. The engine smooths out and runs strong with this setting.
Looking out over the New England landscape the only snow visible was on the ski slopes on Mount Snow and Stratton, about 50 miles to the north. I flew west for about 40 miles and checked out Berkshire East, a very busy ski area during the holidays, and the parking lot was full. My grandson Jack was somewhere on the mountain snowboarding. I turned back east to return to KORE, this time with a tailwind. The sun was behind me on the return trip so it began to feel a bit cold, but still comfortable.
It felt good to get out and fly today with great conditions and no bugs to clean up. If January is good I'll be up there again.
I hope all of you and yours have a nice holiday season.... Dave D

John Hoxie

Thanx for the report Dave & glad you had a good flight.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io
<davedq2@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Patillo

Excellent reports Dave and Mike. We’re havin
fun now aren’t we. I will be flying tomorrow  and plan on flying Jan 1.

Guess I need to get some cameras back on my plane and do some reportin’. Not to tech savvy but what brand cameras do you hang outside and where? Are these hard mounts? I have a go pro but seems a little expensive to hang outside.

Best to you both.

Jim
N46JP  Q200

Sent from Outer Space

[...]

Bruce Crain

Excellent!  Made my day!  Gott love a Q!
Bruce

On Dec 27, 2020, at 7:09 PM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

Calvin Thorne

Wonderful winter report Dave,
Here in Calgary we also have a foot of snow but no winter flying for me right now.  Snow gets plowed but is only1foot wider than my wheels for 100 ft then taxiway is fine.  I will get out sometime I hope.  Thanks for the details on your use of carb heat, i will give it a try in my Revmaster as well. Envy the rain you get to melt it all away.

Calvin and Adele Thorne
Cochrane Alberta
Plane tracker https://aprs.fi/cgmbk
Cell and text 403 860-7582
Q2 web page:  https://calvinthorne.blogspot.com
Vision web page:  https://calvinthorne2.blogspot.com

Sent from Samsung tablet.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020, 6:51 PM Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rodney Herzig

Nice report Dave. Looking forward to Spring and getting back in the air for a breakfast flight with you. Happy New Year!

Rod

On Dec 27, 2020, at 5:11 PM, Calvin Thorne <cbthorne14@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay Scheevel

Great report, Dave. I enjoy reading your descriptions and how you managed to dodge the typical winter weather and get a flight in. I flew on Saturday and it was great. I hoping to contribute to the Jan. 1 flight reports this year.