From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike via groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 1:50 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Plus and minus of main wing tips

Guys,
im soon to be a new owner of a standard configuration Q200. I’m wondering what everyone thinks about aerodynamic wing tips for speed and performance?   Or if you think it’s to much work than reward as a afterthought? I’ve seen a couple of Q pictures that have them( Kevin Sheely)  and maybe those folks can chime in also.
thanks in advance

Mike N

Sam Hoskins

Looking for speed & performance? IMHO here are the biggies:

Engine cooling efficiency.
Wheel pant drag
Fairings & fillets
Engine & Propeller upgrades

Each category can fill a book, but it's all out there. Except for #4, it's mostly elbow grease.

Sam Hoskins
Q-200

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 2:50 PM Mike via groups.io <n7000t=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Guys,
im soon to be a new owner of a standard configuration Q200. I’m wondering what everyone thinks about aerodynamic wing tips for speed and performance?   Or if you think it’s to much work than reward as a afterthought? I’ve seen a couple of Q pictures that have them( Kevin Sheely)  and maybe those folks can chime in also.
thanks in advance

Mike N

Thanks guys.  Very good points to ponder

Mike N

On Jan 22, 2021, at 8:06 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Dwyer

I agree with Jay.
Mike Q200

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 22:28 Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I would say that overall, it is not worth the effort of changing what you have. There is a lot of variation in speeds of Q200’s and I think wing tip shape is down at the bottom of the list in terms of influencing drag/speed. My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ 130 hours

im soon to be a new owner of a standard configuration Q200. I’m wondering what everyone thinks about aerodynamic wing tips for speed and performance?   Or if you think it’s to much work than reward as a afterthought? I’ve seen a couple of Q pictures that have them( Kevin Sheely)  and maybe those folks can chime in also.
thanks in advance

Mike N

Sam Kittle

Mike,
Be sure to consider how much down time you will have before changing anything.  Then multiply that number by ten or maybe 100.

Sam K

On Jan 23, 2021, at 6:19 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

I agree with Jay.
Mike Q200

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 22:28 Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

I would say that overall, it is not worth the effort of changing what you have. There is a lot of variation in speeds of Q200’s and I think wing tip shape is down at the bottom of the list in terms of influencing drag/speed. My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ 130 hours

im soon to be a new owner of a standard configuration Q200. I’m wondering what everyone thinks about aerodynamic wing tips for speed and performance?   Or if you think it’s to much work than reward as a afterthought? I’ve seen a couple of Q pictures that have them( Kevin Sheely)  and maybe those folks can chime in also.
thanks in advance

Mike N

I agree with you Sam!  Thanks for everyone’s input.
I’ll work on the other ideas gradually

Mike N

On Jan 23, 2021, at 12:10 PM, Sam Kittle <skittle@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Sheeley

I agree with Jay & Sam. I would like to change to more of a different wing tip but not worth the time. I had those designed in the early 90’s.

I think that I am going for wheel pants next.

Kevin

On Saturday, January 23, 2021, 3:21:51 PM EST, Mike via groups.io <n7000t@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your input Kevin

Mike N