Q1 Fuselage and Wing BL00

Eugen Pilarski

Dear Q-Experts,

I have a short question about the assembly of fuselage and the Wing. Please find in the attachment a short cut from fuselage and the Wing BL00.

In the plans on Page 7-8 is a short note in the fuselage: Use Wing BL00 template with leading edge at STA 78.3 and template level line on WL31.0 (16" above W.L.15).

So far so good, but wich point on the Wing BL00 template should connect to the edge at STA 78.3? Is that the point 0 (zero) or 1 (one) or which one on the Wing BL00 template?

I've read through this 10 times now and still haven't come to a solution. Looks like to miss the obvious ......

Does someone have a suggestion?

Best regards

Eugen

Paul Fisher

I interpreted it to mean the leading edge of the wing - the point farthest forward.  So neither 0 nor 1, but in between them where the nose sticks out the farthest.

At least that's how I did it ~35 years ago!  So far it has been working.

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF - ~1725 hours over 30+ years

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 10:39 Eugen Pilarski <interbus@...> wrote:
Dear Q-Experts,

I have a short question about the assembly of fuselage and the Wing. Please find in the attachment a short cut from fuselage and the Wing BL00.

In the plans on Page 7-8 is a short note in the fuselage: Use Wing BL00 template with leading edge at STA 78.3 and template level line on WL31.0 (16" above W.L.15).

So far so good, but wich point on the Wing BL00 template should connect to the edge at STA 78.3? Is that the point 0 (zero) or 1 (one) or which one on the Wing BL00 template?

I've read through this 10 times now and still haven't come to a solution. Looks like to miss the obvious ......

Does someone have a suggestion?

Best regards

Eugen

Jay Scheevel

Hi Eugen,

Here are the relevant pages from the plans (Page 9-1 and 12-1). I have pulled out the parts that apply to your question. These should explain how the trimming and mounting should be done.

I have a short question about the assembly of fuselage and the Wing. Please find in the attachment a short cut from fuselage and the Wing BL00.

In the plans on Page 7-8 is a short note in the fuselage: Use Wing BL00 template with leading edge at STA 78.3 and template level line on WL31.0 (16" above W.L.15).

So far so good, but wich point on the Wing BL00 template should connect to the edge at STA 78.3? Is that the point 0 (zero) or 1 (one) or which one on the Wing BL00 template?

I've read through this 10 times now and still haven't come to a solution. Looks like to miss the obvious ......

Does someone have a suggestion?

Best regards

Eugen

Chris Walterson

Eugen----------  Just finished doing this.   You need to trim some foam from the front of the wing wide enough for the fuselage..   You will measure the distance between the wing bulkhead to the seat back bulkhead. The distance between in my case I think is about 16 1/4 inches. You need to trim the front of the foam on the wing so that the wing when finished with glass is no more than the distance between the two bulkhead.

 I held my template against the turtle deck side while everything was level and cut out the deck.  The wing fit almost perfect into the cradle although you need to trim the turtle deck behind the seatback bulkhead more so the wing will fold in place.

 Canard is treated similar.  Take care-----------  Chris

Chris Walterson

Eugen--------  Here you go--  Chris

Eugen Pilarski

Thank you very much for your response. That will help me again.

So another question about the fuselage side situation. Please find in the attachment a picture of the fuselage side after glassing, come from the Q1 construction manual.

The questions may sound a bit silly, but for my full understanding below some questions about the fuselage. Maybe I should just put the construction manual aside for two days and think about the process again. I feel like I've gone through the process a hundred times in my head……..

a) Should the shape of the canard and from the wing into the fuselage side be cut out before laminating with fiberglass or is that done later? Judging from the picture in the builders manual, the shape of the canard and wing are not cut out before laminating with fiberglass (see attachment). Am I correct?

b) Should laminating from the inside fuselage side with fiberglass be done on a straight surface? Will the fuselage side still be supple enough after laminating with fiberglass on one side that it will still be possible to contact the fuselage bottom during assembly? Or should the fuselage side also be done on a defenestrated curved run like the fuselage bottom? This is not yet completely clear to me.

c) Should the laminate, after the resin has been applied, still be covered with peel ply, with the aim of achieving a rough surface for the subsequent bonding? Or is it sufficient to line the contact points of the frames with the peel ply? Or simply leave them out completely and just grind the contact points?

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards

Eugen

Am 27.01.2021 um 17:58 schrieb Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...>:

[...]

David J. Gall

  1. No, you are not correct.
  2. Yes; yes; no.
  3. Read the plans again.

In your annotations of the picture from the plans, you have misidentified the location of the main wing. The main wing resides in the bay just forward of where your arrow points, where the fuselage side is already contoured as a saddle to cradle the underside of the wing. This also should answer your question about the canard and main wing shapes – yes, they’re already supposed to be cut into the foam before the inside of the fuselage is glassed (I think).

[...]

  1. The foam is cut to size before applying the glass. You will need to round the corners of the cut off edges to allow the glass to lay smoothly across the corner without pulling up to capture an air bubble underneath (see the composite education section of the plans).
  2. Not sure what you are saying here. Keep in mind that I built a Q2 not a Q1, so there are some differences.
  3. You should peel ply the front and back where you will bond it to the bulkhead with flox and glass between the bulkhead and the wing.

[...]

Eugen--------  I miss read your email and thought you were building a Q2.

 I  have also built a Super Quickie  Q1 so maybe I can help later-----------  Chris

Terry Crouch

Hi Eugen,

 The tip of that template is 0. The vertical height is referenced by WL 31 and the template water line. This is not critical as more trimming will be done later. The interesting part that has been discussed in the early QBA newsletters is that the wing will not fit between the seatback bulkhead and bulkhead FS 89 with out sanding off the leading edge more that is shown in page 9-7.  Translated this means you will have flat spots on the leading edge of the wing next to the fuselage. If I remember correctly I increased the angle of the bend in the seatback bulkhead to correct this.

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC