Weishaar-Doyle LS-1 canard design

Sam Hoskins

Larry Weishaar (RIP) and Jim Doyle developed an LS-1 canard which used carbon fiber tape instead of the QAC supplied round carbon fiber spars. I'm placing their build instructions, along with some correspondence, in the Files section of our site. If anyone wanted to go to the trouble of making full size drawings of their hot-wire templates we would appreciate if you would share with everyone and place them in this same folder.

I this may be the solution to anyone wanting to build an LS-1 canard of their own.  I think Larry gave pretty good instructions how to build their version. Of course, you will have to blend this with the QAC LS-1 canard fabrication plans for jigging fixtures.

We certainly invite discussion of this build, AFTER you have read all Larry’s correspondence. Here you go: https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/files/Canard%20-%20LS-1%20designed%20by%20Larry%20Weishaar%20&%20Jim%20Doyle

Also, for anyone building an original, have placed my QAC LS-1 improved instructions in the Files section as well.

Sam

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Sam,

I inserted your improved LS-1 construction guide into the Q200 plans for my plane that I have posted on my website. Here is the link which also includes the Tri-Q plans: http://n8wq.scheevel.com/documents/Q2_Q200_Plans_Abridged_for_Scheevel_Construction.pdf

[...]

Terry Crouch

I haven’t talked to Jim Doyle in awhile but I am fairly sure their design was for a Tri Q only.  Not meant to handle landing gear loads.

Terry Crouch

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 12:25 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

[...]

Terry, looking at the documentation from Larry, you'll see that the canard was designed for a tail dragger. He does explain reducing the plies on his spar for a Tri-Q.

Here is the first page https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/files/Canard%20-%20LS-1%20designed%20by%20Larry%20Weishaar%20&%20Jim%20Doyle/Weishaar-Doyle%20LS-1%20Canard%20Plans%201.pdf

Terry Crouch

Thanks for correcting me Sam.  Do you know if anyone is flying their design on a taildragger?

Terry Crouch

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 1:43 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Terry, looking at the documentation from Larry, you'll see that the canard was designed for a tail dragger. He does explain reducing the plies on his spar for a Tri-Q.

Here is the first page https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/files/Canard%20-%20LS-1%20designed%20by%20Larry%20Weishaar%20&%20Jim%20Doyle/Weishaar-Doyle%20LS-1%20Canard%20Plans%201.pdf

Chris Walterson

Regarding the  Weishaar - Doyle canard, if you look at the Dragonfly plans you will find they are very similar.

The Dragonfly has a C spar going the entire length. It is made a bit smaller when it is hotwired to allow

for multiple layers of  5 inch wide uni carbon fiber to go over the c spar once the nose cone is attached.

Then the three layers of uni or one layer of tri ply.  When they upped the gross to 1200 lbs, they added more layers of carbon.

I think Rex Taylor may of done load tests on this.  The load was mainly designed for landing loads as they

"sometimes" much higher than flying loads. Year ago Kimble Mc Andrew  from Alberta Canada installed a similar wing

on his Q2 with a 235 Lycoming. I don't know if he used the LS1 or stuck with the Dragonfly GU airfoil.

Does anyone know??  Take care---------------  Chris

Frankenbird Vern

 A "FrankenBird", Chris.  The O-235 installed is heavier than the O-200. Do you know how the Canadian authorities worked with this aircraft and Mr. Mc Andrew and the registrations?  I believe there may be a photo or two in archives on this aircraft. I am interested in how the Weight and Balance were achieved. Perhaps an "C" number search might reveal the status and location of the aircraft?

 BTW.. My Canard (D-fly design) does have the extra carbon ply (3 uni), has zero anhedral or dihedral (MKII stub glass gear as of now), but it is built with the GU airfoil as Dragonfly plans, as is the Wing. I'll be adding vortex generators.

Vern in snowy Oklahoma