Here's one for you to analyze, Vern

Jay Scheevel

Photo of honeycomb and carbon fiber nacelle fragment from yesterday’s 777-200 engine failure near Denver.

Frankenbird Vern

Engine builder is going to have some explaining to do (Rolls or GE... either one are an Option on older 777). I'm
 curious which this particular aircraft had installed. Not many airlines selected the Rolls..but more were
 installed on the -200 than -300. 

I only worked a few programs on 777, almost all I did in Everett was for the 777 Freighter. 777 was the first to be 
impacted in the factory for the FAA flammability tests which was an almost impossible task to accomplish. First unit 
that FAA demanded Boeing meet was #718..which was already in build!!!  Imagine configuration control changing 
AS the airplane was moving through the factory (3.5 day rate too!). Right after 718 one were other Freighters of 
course... 732, ect.  All of them had to have all new config parts to meet the flame restriction requirements. That 
required scrapping almost the entire cargo Interior..build and re-issue new parts and paperwork and do all the revision
outside on the ramp (it rains a lot..cold..windy..miserable).  

Because at the time I was a Contractor I had some restrictions on the configuration system accesses, so when 747-8F and
Passenger also had to be up to speed (as 777 was also at the same time on the FAR requirements), I was asked to roll over 
to Direct again.

Boeing offered me 10 years added to my existing 13 years seniority if I would accept the Lead M.E. for 747-8 Cargo
(which ment all the Flammability testing and config changes would be on my crew, and therefore on my head). I
had to sign confidentiality agreement not to breath a word of the added retirement years until I was out of the 
company. Village Idiot that I am ... I accepted. 

Spent more than a few nights catching a few hours sleep at my desk... couldn't get back to Whidbey Island where my 
rental was because the last bus from the factory was already gone (it's a very long drive around the horn to Everett from 
South Whidbey unless the Ferry is taken, and parking places were near impossible to find in Everett, so not much sense in 
driving 200 miles to and from each day) . 

I had a crew of 50 plus or minus a few to keep in control. A half dozen or so were Russian Interns.  The deal was I could retire out early at 56 years old ONLY after the first 747-8 Passenger (Lufthansa) left Paine Field for final delivery. I was standing next to the runway when I could see air under those tires!!!!!  I punched out September 2013.. alive!!   

First thing came to mind was a fan failure but not so.. the failure was within the compressor section. How many
 hot starts (if any) did this powerplant data recorder find? NTSB will be all over this event especially due to the
 Max fubars.  I don't miss the factory life! Product reviews and all the finger pointing just is not fun at all.  

Structurally the design was a success, aircraft returned..no souls hurt or lost. 

The Kevlar blow ring thankfully was not tested. I watched the in flight video of the pylon take a beating and the 
fuse pins stayed intact. Also the folks on the ground made good choices to get under some shelter as the cowling 
pieces decended. The inlet in the front yard was a bit interesting. Good thing it landed there and not on the roof. 

Better yet is the flight was not half way across the Pacific to the Islands when this engine puked its guts...    

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 12:22 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Here's one for you to analyze, Vern

Photo of honeycomb and carbon fiber nacelle fragment from yesterday’s 777-200 engine failure near Denver.

Frankenbird Vern

I see.. it was the even rarer optioned PW unit. 

Well.. with my experiences on the Gulfstream G500/600 geared fan PW engine and the NEO-A320 fiasco ... I would hope the 
Canada PW folks get to take some financial hits. 

Not impressed with the PW team outside the States. They have altitudes that go with the insistence they speak "French". I also
 worked for Dassault in Little Rock... and they DO speak French.     

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>

Frankenbird Vern

No time wasted on grounding the fleet this time! Maybe PW can pony up the cash for all the lost revenue?
Another day, another fiasco in the life of Boeing. Just days after it started to appears that Boeing may finally emerge from its 2-year old debacle when the combination of the 737MAX crash and the covid travel slump cratered Boeing stock when the company reported solid earnings despite guiding to another "unexpected" delay in the rollout of 777X, on Sunday night U.S. aviation regulators ...
www.zerohedge.com

Bruce Crain

I think they can polish it out.  😉
B

On Feb 21, 2021, at 6:49 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

No time wasted on grounding the fleet this time! Maybe PW can pony up the cash for all the lost revenue?
Another day, another fiasco in the life of Boeing. Just days after it started to appears that Boeing may finally emerge from its 2-year old debacle when the combination of the 737MAX crash and the covid travel slump cratered Boeing stock when the company reported solid earnings despite guiding to another "unexpected" delay in the rollout of 777X, on Sunday night U.S. aviation regulators ...
www.zerohedge.com

<image001.jpg>

Frankenbird Vern

Met-All to the rescue! 

PW had some great ideas...like geared fan designs and hollow blades. Main bearings overheating burning up seals in the geared fan was the issue on the G500/600 engines (NEO A320 using a larger version of the exact same engine design). 

Hollow fan blades, tho being lighter, tend to fail as all can see here. Lots of flexing going on in those fans. The 787 and 747-8 fans are really rad.. weird scimitar and blended tips. Big mothers too!  

The customer fleet were aware that the GE's are much more reliable, which explains why the few aircraft delievered with PW are all that are affected. 

I would ask why the Triple 7 engine group decided to add catalytic heaters to the nacelle, exterior to the cabin?...looking at this photo. Could be aerodynamics got in the fray and decided a hot air balloon effect might assist the climb rate?

I suspect some seat upholstery will need to be changed on tis aircraft as well.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 9:15 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Here's one for you to analyze, Vern

B

www.zerohedge.com

<image001.jpg>

Frankenbird Vern

Here's number 2 within a week.. maybe the lucky #3 will be an Airbus?

747-400F was last built in 2003...  old dog..just like me.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 9:15 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Here's one for you to analyze, Vern

B

www.zerohedge.com

<image001.jpg>