Here's one for you to analyze, Vern

Jay Scheevel

Photo of honeycomb and carbon fiber nacelle fragment from yesterday’s 777-200 engine failure near Denver.

Frankenbird Vern

  Engine builder is going to have some explaining to do (Rolls or GE... either one are an Option on older 777). I'm
 curious which this particular aircraft had installed. Not many airlines selected the Rolls..but more were
 installed on the -200 than -300.

  I only worked a few programs on 777, almost all I did in Everett was for the 777 Freighter. 777 was the first to be
impacted in the factory for the FAA flammability tests which was an almost impossible task to accomplish. First unit
that FAA demanded Boeing meet was #718..which was already in build!!!  Imagine configuration control changing
AS the airplane was moving through the factory (3.5 day rate too!). Right after 718 one were other Freighters of
course... 732, ect.  All of them had to have all new config parts to meet the flame restriction requirements. That
required scrapping almost the entire cargo Interior..build and re-issue new parts and paperwork and do all the revision
outside on the ramp (it rains a lot..cold..windy..miserable).

 Because at the time I was a Contractor I had some restrictions on the configuration system accesses, so when 747-8F and
Passenger also had to be up to speed (as 777 was also at the same time on the FAR requirements), I was asked to roll over
to Direct again.

 Boeing offered me 10 years added to my existing 13 years seniority if I would accept the Lead M.E. for 747-8 Cargo
(which ment all the Flammability testing and config changes would be on my crew, and therefore on my head). I
had to sign confidentiality agreement not to breath a word of the added retirement years until I was out of the
company. Village Idiot that I am ... I accepted.

 Spent more than a few nights catching a few hours sleep at my desk... couldn't get back to Whidbey Island where my
rental was because the last bus from the factory was already gone (it's a very long drive around the horn to Everett from
South Whidbey unless the Ferry is taken, and parking places were near impossible to find in Everett, so not much sense in
driving 200 miles to and from each day) .

I had a crew of 50 plus or minus a few to keep in control. A half dozen or so were Russian Interns.  The deal was I could retire out early at 56 years old ONLY after the first 747-8 Passenger (Lufthansa) left Paine Field for final delivery. I was standing next to the runway when I could see air under those tires!!!!!  I punched out September 2013.. alive!!

  First thing came to mind was a fan failure but not so.. the failure was within the compressor section. How many
 hot starts (if any) did this powerplant data recorder find? NTSB will be all over this event especially due to the
 Max fubars.  I don't miss the factory life! Product reviews and all the finger pointing just is not fun at all.

Structurally the design was a success, aircraft returned..no souls hurt or lost.

The Kevlar blow ring thankfully was not tested. I watched the in flight video of the pylon take a beating and the
fuse pins stayed intact. Also the folks on the ground made good choices to get under some shelter as the cowling
pieces decended. The inlet in the front yard was a bit interesting. Good thing it landed there and not on the roof.

  Better yet is the flight was not half way across the Pacific to the Islands when this engine puked its guts...