GU canard for sale?

ryan goodman

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.
       Thanks, Ryan

Mike Steinsland

Hey Ryan
I'm curious why you would switch that back.
Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.
       Thanks, Ryan

John Lewis

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
Hey Ryan
I'm curious why you would switch that back.
Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.
       Thanks, Ryan

ryan goodman

John, PM me. I'm on the q Facebook group too if that's easier.

Mike, it's faster, and my LS one is already a little damaged. Plus I'm doing some fairly major changes and replacing my firewall already so seems a good time. Faster is legit the only reason for me wanting the swap. But I'm open to hearing reasons not to change back and to keep the LS.

Ryan

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 5:26 PM, John Lewis
<john@...> wrote:
Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
Hey Ryan
I'm curious why you would switch that back.
Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.
       Thanks, Ryan

Mike Dwyer

In my opinion... 1) the GU spar ends 4 feet from the wing tip.  Lots of them break there on a hard landing.  2) It wasn't designed to carry an 0-200A (but I don't know what your running for an engine). 3) if you never fly in the rain your ok.  And I challenge that the GU is faster?  The fastest Q out there is Sam and he's an LS1.
Mike Dwyer
Q-200 N3QP

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

<john@...> wrote:
Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
Hey Ryan
I'm curious why you would switch that back.
Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.
       Thanks, Ryan

Jay Scheevel

Any Q is faster if it is lighter and more power is added. Those factors are probably more important than the airfoil.

VG’s on the GU solve the rain/contamination problem, but are a pain when trying to keep the canard clean.

LS-1’s break too, but just outboard of the fuselage instead of farther out on the wing.

There are several GU’s flying with O-200’s on them, so I suspect the QAC change from GU to LS1 was driven more by contamination problems than by strength issues (despite what was said in the QAC newsletters).

I am not sure that the speed of GU vs LS1 has ever been fully resolved, but there are a lot of fast GU Q’s that have been built with a variety of engines (Corbin’s is a very fast Q200 and has a GU canard. Paul Spackman’s Q2 with the GU and Jabiru engine is/was also very fast). More LS1’s have been built because of supply, so the sample size is larger and probably more is known about them because of that.

……The GU will not explode if hit by lightning, since no carbon fiber.

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Sam Hoskins

I was at Oshkosh one year and saw a Q-2 arrive from Ohio I believe it was. His first trip to Oshkosh. He bounced on the runway in front of everybody and broke the canard. Poor guy, course they had to shut the runway down until they cleared him off. Never did meet the guy , I hear he just loaded the thing up and went back to Ohio. I know for a fact the LS1 canard is stronger. Unless you have real serious damage to it, I would keep the LS1.

I do have a fair amount of experience with this. If you want to send me some pictures offline I can give you a hand. But also, I think a lot of my stuff is documented out there anyway.

Sam

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Richard Kaczmarek 3RD

You can also replace the VG's on the GU with zigzag tape and get the same results and have an easier time washing the canard. There will always be this battle about the LS1 vs the GU. Contamination is the issue with the GU. They all can break on a bad landing I've damaged my GU with compression of the foam from a rather hard landing and Sam has broken the LS1 due to a runway issue. It happens fly what your comfortable with. As for Ryan's plane it is a TriQ and took out a runway light after a bad landing it was a solid repair but I unfortunately his concern there is no good way to test a repair done by someone else short of maybe UT testing. Ryan is planning to run the Aeromomentum so he will be a first with the new generation of auto conversions. I am impressed with the work Mark and Lili Kettering have done with these engines and plan to put one of them on one of my Verieze projects mostly do to the cost of the O-200 and exceeding the value of the plane after a proper rebuild of the O-200 engine.

Just my 2 cents which won't even buy a piece of gum these days. :-)

Richard

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

ryan goodman

Correct. Richard is right on the money. Honestly I have no real personal attachment to either airfoil. I just hear from many that the GU is faster. So if I'm already tearing the thing apart why not make a go faster machine. That said, the LS is already in place and isn't really badly damaged. Just some minor repairs to be done. But at I said, I'm open to hearing opinions.

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Terry Adams

Aeromomentum......amazing 100hp out of 1298cc....TBO 2000 hours (might be minutes), are there any torque specs?

FWIW just my 2 cents
Terry

--
Communication ink and paper free

ryan goodman

Terry what are you trying to say here?

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

--
Communication ink and paper free

Terry Adams

The AM13 engine is a 1.3 liter 4 cylinder automotive engine of 100 hp converted to aircraft use
Automobile engines typically loaf along in the low RPM range.
The AM13 is being asked to race along at 5800 rpm (2240 prop rpm) at full load and survive for 2000 hours
How many Aeromomentum engines have made it to 2000 hrs
Engines with a bore that is smaller than it's stroke make more low end torque, but torque diminishes with increasing RPMs
Torque curve?
Is this bhp or shp?  Dyno results?  With gearbox?
How has torsional resonance been addressed in the gearbox?

Terry

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

--
Communication ink and paper free

--
Communication ink and paper free

Richard Thomson

    Jay,

    The modern carbon airliners use glass pads as insulators for lightning strike, so as the carbon spar is wrapped in glass, it should be insulated from lightning stike I would have thought.

    Just my 2 new pence worth, (which is also a good coin for tap testing).

    Br

    Rich T.

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

quickieq2uk

Most manufacturers of aircraft these days use Astrostrike LSP, which is an expanded foil mesh which is laminated between the layers of composite material.

Simon

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Richard Thomson

    Quite right Simon, they do on panels to dissipate the energy, but it is no good as an insulator.

    Have you got your Q back in the air yet ? Are you a GU or LS1 ?

    Br

    Richard.

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Bill Allen

As the subject has morphed from GU Canard into lighting strikes, here is the most investigated strike/disintegration event for a light aircraft which happened in 1999.

There is no defence against it, apart from not being rendered unconscious, and wearing (and knowing how to use) a parachute.

Bill Allen

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Here is a great summary of a glider destroyed in flight from a lightning strike, told by one of the occupants of the plane. Great pictures and reconstruction of the events. Suffice it to say, you probably don’t want to get struck by lightning.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0aGViaWc0MHJlYWNoZm9ydGhlc2tpZXNhZ2FpbnxneDo1NzMyZmZkOTVkOTcwZDFj

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

ryan goodman

Axiumflight@...

You are welcome to pose all of this to Mark Kettering, owner of aeromomemtum. This thread was about a canard. I'm going to try to stay on topic.
     Ryan

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

One Sky Dog

The best protection from lightning strikes is to avoid thunderstorms. But if you must fly near them here are the latest mitigation schemes.

https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/lightning-strike-protection-strategies-for-composite-aircraft

That thin layer of glass will not insulate the carbon. I have never worried about the carbon bits and spar caps in my Dragonfly. I fly in less than perfect weather but when lightning storms are forecast I would rather be on the ground.

<john@...> wrote:

Yup.  Located 40 minutes from Salt Lake City on I84.

John Lewis

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, 5:09 PM Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Hey Ryan

I'm curious why you would switch that back.

Everything I read indicates the LS is some better characteristics

On Mon., Apr. 26, 2021, 6:00 p.m. ryan goodman via groups.io, <elboy0712=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone or there have a decent GU canard sitting around for a Q2? Tossing around the idea of swapping my LS1 back to that. Not fully decided as of yet but if there's one laying around for the right price that would save me making a new one it might twist my arm.

       Thanks, Ryan

Richard Thomson

    Thanks OSD, that is good advice. Good article.

    Rich T.