Nathan Peck's Quickie Q-Tour is uploaded to YouTube

Sam Hoskins

Thanks Nathan.  What a history!

https://youtu.be/rdNRasb3Nz8

The rest of the Q-Tours are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpREq5dz5VjgcUFVNcoEhQ

We're getting quite a collection.  Who's ready to go next?

Sam

Jim Patillo

Nathan, thank you for the zoom meeting you did. Informative and like Sam said “what a history”. Sorry to hear you’ve had so many problems with the Rotax and Warp Drive.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

Bruce Crain

Great to see you and your Q2 again Nathan!!  Say, I looked at a Continental 0200 1/2 a while back.  I suppose it would weigh around 120 lbs and crank out 50 hp.  Might make that Q2 a rocket!  3 gals/hr!  Just a thought.
Bruce

On May 9, 2021, at 11:43 PM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Nathan, thank you for the zoom meeting you did. Informative and like Sam said “what a history”. Sorry to hear you’ve had so many problems with the Rotax and Warp Drive.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

Anthony P

The only way that's a Q2 is if you have 1/2 size people. :)

Thanks again Nathan, Sam, and everyone else for making these happen.  Very interesting.
I'm still shivering when I think about those corn level take offs when not in the "power band".
New meaning to "air worthy".

Nathan Peck

Thanks, Jim.  I wish I wouldn’t have sounded so negative toward the Rotax.  The are notable pro and cons to every power plant.  The Rotax is and has been fine, but is t perfect.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 10:43 PM Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Nathan, thank you for the zoom meeting you did. Informative and like Sam said “what a history”. Sorry to hear you’ve had so many problems with the Rotax and Warp Drive.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

John ten

Hi Nathan,

That was an insightful, honest and thoroughly interesting presentation.

As you rightly point out there is little point in lugging the penalties of extra weight and reduced margins if you cannot reap the benefits of extra power. It seems that the real world power to weight ratio did not change that much. Did you ever depitch the prop to the point where you could get into the power band for take off?

You might want to consider the HKS if you ever wish to re power.   One of the other Q1 contributors mentioned that he used the GCS propellor vs your warp drive. Warp drive props are heavy.

You mentioned cowl cheeks as having a possible blanking effect on the rear wing.  It did not seem to have any effect on the amsoil racer.  Did Jon Findlay have cheeks on his VW powered Q1?

I would interested to know what modifications you made to the firewall to cantilever the engine from it,

It would also be very interesting to get a similarly honest report from the other rotax Q1 operators.

On Monday, May 10, 2021, 2:56 pm, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Thanks Nathan.  What a history!

https://youtu.be/rdNRasb3Nz8

The rest of the Q-Tours are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpREq5dz5VjgcUFVNcoEhQ

We're getting quite a collection.  Who's ready to go next?

Sam

Nathan Peck

John,
I did many times reset the prop pitch, for as much as the runway would allow.  I was going more for speed, but in the beginning had it set up to be quite a rocket off the runway and adjusted from there.
I didn’t make any significant changes to the firewall. I was referencing a beam to extend the length of the trailer for highway transport.

I, too, would love to hear from other folks with Rotax Quickies.
Thanks for the comments.
- Nathan

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 2:26 PM John ten via groups.io <johntenhave=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks again

John
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, May 10, 2021, 2:56 pm, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Thanks Nathan.  What a history!

https://youtu.be/rdNRasb3Nz8

The rest of the Q-Tours are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpREq5dz5VjgcUFVNcoEhQ

We're getting quite a collection.  Who's ready to go next?

Sam

David J. Gall

Nathan,

Your problems with the poor performance you’re getting with your Rotax are almost entirely traceable to your propeller. Your descriptions of your takeoff struggles and limited top speed at reduced throttle (and over-revving) are classic for a two-stroke engine that has a prop with too large diameter and not enough pitch. Mike Arnold went 213 mph on a (barely) 65 hp Rotax; I think you could easily be cruising at 150 mph with decent climb if you’d get a better prop, and I don’t think you need to have a variable pitch prop to get there. You could start by cutting down the diameter of your existing prop and increasing the pitch. The attached spreadsheet indicates that a 48” diameter should be maximum diameter for an airplane full-throttle top speed of 150mph if you’re using a 2.58:1 gear ratio. If you’re using 2:1 the maximum diameter shrinks to just 43 inches. (Assumes maximum engine RPM at 6800 rpm; you’d likely want an even smaller diameter in order to cruise at less than full throttle at 150 mph.)

I’ve attached the Sport Aviation article for reference – I’m not suggesting that you should  build your own prop, but the article explains what the spreadsheet is doing. I’d be happy to work with you on a custom prop design if you want.

David J. Gall

Thanks, Jim.  I wish I wouldn’t have sounded so negative toward the Rotax.  The are notable pro and cons to every power plant.  The Rotax is and has been fine, but is t perfect.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 10:43 PM Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Nathan, thank you for the zoom meeting you did. Informative and like Sam said “what a history”. Sorry to hear you’ve had so many problems with the Rotax and Warp Drive.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

Nathan Peck

If anyone is interested, I posted a video of a Quickie take off and lap around the runway.  You can clearly hear the Rotax wind-up as speed builds, especially off the runway in ground effect.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 7:56 PM Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
Thanks Nathan.  What a history!

https://youtu.be/rdNRasb3Nz8

The rest of the Q-Tours are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpREq5dz5VjgcUFVNcoEhQ

We're getting quite a collection.  Who's ready to go next?

Sam

Jay Scheevel

Very cool Nathan. I am stealing your idea for backward looking camera mounting on the cowl!

If anyone is interested, I posted a video of a Quickie take off and lap around the runway.  You can clearly hear the Rotax wind-up as speed builds, especially off the runway in ground effect.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 7:56 PM Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Thanks Nathan.  What a history!

https://youtu.be/rdNRasb3Nz8

The rest of the Q-Tours are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpREq5dz5VjgcUFVNcoEhQ

We're getting quite a collection.  Who's ready to go next?

Sam

Robert Cringely

If you mean a Franklin O-110, I have one! It came in 50 and 60 hp versions rated at 3300 rpm.

Bob

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:46 AM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
Great to see you and your Q2 again Nathan!!  Say, I looked at a Continental 0200 1/2 a while back.  I suppose it would weigh around 120 lbs and crank out 50 hp.  Might make that Q2 a rocket!  3 gals/hr!  Just a thought.
Bruce

On May 9, 2021, at 11:43 PM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Nathan, thank you for the zoom meeting you did. Informative and like Sam said “what a history”. Sorry to hear you’ve had so many problems with the Rotax and Warp Drive.

Regards,
Jim
N46JP Q200

Jerry Marstall

That  is really cool!  Jerry

On Mon, May 17, 2021, 4:02 PM Nathan Peck <nathanpeck@...> wrote:
If anyone is interested, I posted a video of a Quickie take off and lap around the runway.  You can clearly hear the Rotax wind-up as speed builds, especially off the runway in ground effect.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 7:56 PM Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
Thanks Nathan.  What a history!

https://youtu.be/rdNRasb3Nz8

The rest of the Q-Tours are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpREq5dz5VjgcUFVNcoEhQ

We're getting quite a collection.  Who's ready to go next?

Sam

smeshno1@...

 That would work too, Bob.  Contact! Magazine (Pat Panzera, editor) had a feature on Pegasus DP-1 who have been developing a 1/2 Continental O-200 to a two cylinder specifically for LSA use. It has been running but the developer whom I have chatted with was also doing his best to avoid using a forged crankshaft. I think he finally tossed in the towel and went with the machine forged steel. I also informed that Nitriding and keeping the throw and mains radii larger than .100" are both required for aircraft use. The fact is that either powerplant would indeed make an excellent Q1 FWF package. Rocket indeed! Wow.. hotrod for one.

*Not affiliated with Teledyne Continental Motors WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DP-1 LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT ENGINE. The DP-1 is an exciting new development for aircraft and vehicles which need LIGHT WEIGHT AND RELIABLE POWER at an AFFORDABLE PRICE. This kit provides all the necessary SPECIAL components to make a 100 cubic inch displacement engine that is a horizontally opposed, two-cylinder ...
flypegasuspower.com