Option for lifting wing


Corbin <c_geiser@...>
 

I have a Jeep and I have this offroad “jack” that I use the air compressor to fill. I’m out of the hanger doing some other work and thought I would try this out to see how easily it was with the wing for tire changes and working on brakes.

It takes about 15-20 seconds to lift this high and seems very well supported.

Let me know if anybody sees any structural problems with lifting this way for short periods.



Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG


Jay Scheevel
 

Seems like a great idea, Corbin I don' t see any issues. Looks like it spreads the load very nicely.

Cheers,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io
Sent: Friday, December 3, 2021 9:30 AM
To: Q List <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Option for lifting wing

I have a Jeep and I have this offroad “jack” that I use the air compressor to fill. I’m out of the hanger doing some other work and thought I would try this out to see how easily it was with the wing for tire changes and working on brakes.

It takes about 15-20 seconds to lift this high and seems very well supported.

Let me know if anybody sees any structural problems with lifting this way for short periods.



Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG


Martin Skiby
 

Agree with Jay.  Just spread out the load on the skin you are pushing on.

-----------------------------------------

From: "Jay Scheevel"
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday December 3 2021 8:36:22AM
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Option for lifting wing

Seems like a great idea, Corbin I don' t see any issues. Looks like it spreads the load very nicely.

Cheers,
Jay


-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io
Sent: Friday, December 3, 2021 9:30 AM
To: Q List <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Option for lifting wing

I have a Jeep and I have this offroad “jack” that I use the air compressor to fill. I’m out of the hanger doing some other work and thought I would try this out to see how easily it was with the wing for tire changes and working on brakes.

It takes about 15-20 seconds to lift this high and seems very well supported.

Let me know if anybody sees any structural problems with lifting this way for short periods.



Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG












Chris Walterson
 

Corbin---------  When I lift mine I get under on my hands and knees and use my back to lift it and then slide in a 5 gallon pail with some foam on it.  I would see no problem leaving it for a long period.  Your idea is good.------------ take care----------- Chris


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Corbin <c_geiser@...>
 

Thanks, guys.  I always like checking with the experts.
--

Corbin 
N121CG


 

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 01:00 PM, Corbin wrote:
Thanks, guys.  I always like checking with the experts.
--

Corbin 
N121CG

 This method is used by professional aircraft recovery companies. The have air bags as long as wings to lift jets when they depart the taxiway and sink the gear in mud. It's great, 5 psi over a large area lifts a lot of weight safely. 


Mike Dwyer
 

I use a hydraulic jack and a 2' x 2' piece of 5/8" plywood.  The plywood is covered in 2" of dense upholstery foam rubber.  The board is placed under the canard wing and the jack placed under the spar.  I think hydraulic jacks are more available and much cheaper than lift bags and air compressors.

Fly Safe,
Mike Dwyer. Q200 

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021, 10:53 PM Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 01:00 PM, Corbin wrote:
Thanks, guys.  I always like checking with the experts.
--

Corbin 
N121CG

 This method is used by professional aircraft recovery companies. The have air bags as long as wings to lift jets when they depart the taxiway and sink the gear in mud. It's great, 5 psi over a large area lifts a lot of weight safely. 


Corbin <c_geiser@...>
 

That is close to what I was doing prior to this.  Since I already have this inflatable jack (and air compressor) I thought I would give it a try and is sure  was quick and easy.  It also easily supported the front end for removing the tail.

Corbin

On Dec 4, 2021, at 8:01 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

I use a hydraulic jack and a 2' x 2' piece of 5/8" plywood.  The plywood is covered in 2" of dense upholstery foam rubber.  The board is placed under the canard wing and the jack placed under the spar.  I think hydraulic jacks are more available and much cheaper than lift bags and air compressors.

Fly Safe,
Mike Dwyer. Q200 

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021, 10:53 PM Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 01:00 PM, Corbin wrote:
Thanks, guys.  I always like checking with the experts.
--

Corbin 
N121CG

 This method is used by professional aircraft recovery companies. The have air bags as long as wings to lift jets when they depart the taxiway and sink the gear in mud. It's great, 5 psi over a large area lifts a lot of weight safely. 




--

Corbin 
N121CG


Rick Hole
 

Whether air bag or hydraulic, do take precaution against jack failure.  Don't be underneath anything that could drop.  For wheel service the risk is not great.
Rick H

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021, 8:05 AM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
That is close to what I was doing prior to this.  Since I already have this inflatable jack (and air compressor) I thought I would give it a try and is sure  was quick and easy.  It also easily supported the front end for removing the tail.

Corbin

On Dec 4, 2021, at 8:01 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

I use a hydraulic jack and a 2' x 2' piece of 5/8" plywood.  The plywood is covered in 2" of dense upholstery foam rubber.  The board is placed under the canard wing and the jack placed under the spar.  I think hydraulic jacks are more available and much cheaper than lift bags and air compressors.

Fly Safe,
Mike Dwyer. Q200 

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021, 10:53 PM Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 01:00 PM, Corbin wrote:
Thanks, guys.  I always like checking with the experts.
--

Corbin 
N121CG

 This method is used by professional aircraft recovery companies. The have air bags as long as wings to lift jets when they depart the taxiway and sink the gear in mud. It's great, 5 psi over a large area lifts a lot of weight safely. 




--

Corbin 
N121CG