Modified video

Jay Scheevel

Hi Guys,

I have been experimenting with some software that I just bought which allows me to add some gauges (and a moving map) to videos with telemetry data. I added them to a video that I recorded this past weekend. Makes it more interesting…. to pilots anyway.

https://youtu.be/Hee4AEHanBA

Cheers,

Jay

Adam hied

Jay,

What software is that?

Thanks,

Adam H

www.adamhied.com - dragonfly experimental airplane blog 

YouTube channel

On Jan 19, 2022, at 6:52 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have been experimenting with some software that I just bought which allows me to add some gauges (and a moving map) to videos with telemetry data. I added them to a video that I recorded this past weekend. Makes it more interesting…. to pilots anyway.

Cheers,

Jay

Jay Scheevel

It’s called Telemetry Overlay for Windows.  They also have a version for Mac. It’s $100.

Cheers,
Jay 

On Jan 19, 2022, at 7:15 PM, Adam hied <hiedadam@...> wrote:

Jay,

What software is that?

Thanks,

Adam H

YouTube channel

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jay

Jon Finley

Thanks for the heads-up Jay - looks interesting. I suspect you already know but just in case, you can also use the free GoPro Quik to do similar. The problem with the instrumentation in Quik is that it is  limited and not particularly 'attractive' (at least IMO).  I'm currently waiting for my money tree to bloom but may give this software a shot when it does.

Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4

Corbin

I’ll add that the Garmin cameras have this built in as well.  Many different options on how to display it within the app probably similar to the GoPro telemetry data.

Corbin

On Jan 20, 2022, at 3:51 AM, Jon Finley <jd@...> wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up Jay - looks interesting. I suspect you already know but just in case, you can also use the free GoPro Quik to do similar. The problem with the instrumentation in Quik is that it is  limited and not particularly 'attractive' (at least IMO).  I'm currently waiting for my money tree to bloom but may give this software a shot when it does.

Jon Finley

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Frankenbird Vern

Hey Jon.. when you get the tree to bloom Ben Franklins let me know!! Every time my wife has me go with her to the
garden centers I look for them money trees...I even ASK for them!!   

On a more aircrafty question..does your RV4 engine mount have the RV7 gear gussets added? Just curious to learn if 
you discovered cracking in the tubes or weld interface to the main gear tube.  Not all gears have but it is I believe a 
point of concern during conditional inspection.

The fellow that does the recommended repair is located in Vancouver Washington. 

Vern  

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jon Finley <jd@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 3:51 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Modified video

Jon Finley

Frankenbird Vern

Jay, 
 It is interesting and useful to pilots..maybe to others that are curious about learning to fly and 
would like to see what we actually do and why. 

Jim adding AV30's to his panel and with the WiFi option for output the AV's now have, I am wondering if
the I-pad in flight..well..it should be able to record whatever display is fed to it, correct?.  That would be 
a great tool for instrument instruction, and in actual flight conditions.  Even seeing a VFR approach to a 
location not flown to before would be nice to review prior to departure. 

Vern

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 8:43 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>

It’s called Telemetry Overlay for Windows.  They also have a version for Mac. It’s $100.

Cheers,
Jay 

Jay,

What software is that?

Thanks,

Adam H

YouTube channel

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jay

Jay Scheevel

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. You have much more experience with this stuff than I do, so I always appreciate you chiming in. I did try GoProQuik initially (and use it on my phone to control the camera). I found and liked the idea of the gauge widget that it has in the software. I just could not find a way to export from that application to my computer disk. It seems to only allow you to export to YouTube or Facebook. They act like no respectable human would save to any other repository, but what do you expect for free?.

In any case, not to be fenced in, and having my trusty money tree blooming year round in my greenhouse, I dove right in and bought the other app. It is very nice and has many other options besides the “aviation” set, so if you mount a GoPro on your quarter horse, it has the usual cowpoke six pack resting on the saddle horn, etc., etc.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Finley
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 2:51 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io

Jon Finley

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Corbin,

I don’t have the Garmin camera, but I am sure it is very nicely buttoned up like all of the other Garmin gear. I got a deal on the GoPro, so I took that plunge. Seems like most of the GoPro users are on a skateboard, bike or some sort of surf board.  I am too old for those, but I did pick through the noise and found something that works for my flying predilection. I think the Telemetry app that I bought works with a lot of other brands of cameras as long as they encode GPS telemetry data.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Corbin via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 5:47 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io

I’ll add that the Garmin cameras have this built in as well.  Many different options on how to display it within the app probably similar to the GoPro telemetry data.

Corbin

On Jan 20, 2022, at 3:51 AM, Jon Finley <jd@...> wrote:

Jon Finley

--

Corbin 
N121CG

Jay Scheevel

Good ideas, Vern. I think all of the movie recording options on phones, now include the GPS, so I suspect the ipad, iphone and android platforms will all work for what you describe. I will try a video on my phone and see if it encodes the telemetry. Will let you know.

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of smeshno1@...
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 9:48 AM

Jay, 

It is interesting and useful to pilots..maybe to others that are curious about learning to fly and 

Jim adding AV30's to his panel and with the WiFi option for output the AV's now have, I am wondering if

the I-pad in flight..well..it should be able to record whatever display is fed to it, correct?.  That would be 

a great tool for instrument instruction, and in actual flight conditions.  Even seeing a VFR approach to a 

Vern

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>

Cheers,

Jay 

Jay,

What software is that?

Thanks,

Adam H

YouTube channel

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jay

Kevin R. Walsh

DashWare does the same thing, roughly, and is free: http://www.dashware.net/

Kevin

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 3:52 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jay

--
Kevin

Frankenbird Vern

Not sure but I might have a money tree on the way..this time it is nearer to the homestead. Oklahoma City..not Seattle. 

If that one happens then an AV30 is definitely on the way and I will opt for the tail beacon they offer so ADS-B compliant 
and it will WiFi to any bluetooth I-pad.  

I was also considering a wide angle camera on the aft turtledeck for aircraft separation as part of the scan, to view on 
the I-pad. I got the idea from automotive backup camera's that are now standard. 

As is known..not much view to clear traffic in a right turn in a Q2 or Dragonfly. A bit like "omni vision" in the Cessnas'. I always 
thought it was kinda cute the mid 60's 150's have a rear view mirror on the panel.      

Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 10:57 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>

Good ideas, Vern. I think all of the movie recording options on phones, now include the GPS, so I suspect the ipad, iphone and android platforms will all work for what you describe. I will try a video on my phone and see if it encodes the telemetry. Will let you know.

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of smeshno1@...
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 9:48 AM

Jay, 

Vern

Cheers,

Jay 

Jay,

What software is that?

Thanks,

Adam H

YouTube channel

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jay

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Kevin. I guess I should looked harder. I think that this is what Mike Dwyer has used on some of his. I will download and compare to what I have purchased.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin R. Walsh
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 10:05 AM
To: main@q-list.groups.io

DashWare does the same thing, roughly, and is free: http://www.dashware.net/

Kevin

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 3:52 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jay

--

Kevin

Jon Finley

No doubt... GoPro Quik is not very intuitive. Once you select a media file and add the desired "gauges", select the scissor icon (Create a Clip). This allows you to select the portion of the media file to output (all of it down to just a small portion) and then Save. You can then select a new file name, video quality, and save it locally.

I really like the VSI and map that the Telemetry Overlay software provides. 👍 The GoPro Quik gauges are probably fine for some applications but I'm not a fan.  Anxious for the Bennies to start falling so I have another reason to spend more hours sitting at my computer!! 😉

Since your already in the money...  Once you get to the point of running several GoPro cameras, the GoPro Smart Remote is the ticket.  Using the app in the cockpit is neat but I found it far too time consuming to be switching cameras and then starting/stopping them while simultaneously trying to avoid low flying rocks and trees. 😲 The Smart Remote is fairly basic - change mode and start/stop recording of all connected cameras - but is quick and easy.

Jon Finley

Jay Scheevel

Thanks so much for the pointers, Jon. I will look into the Smart Remote. Sounds like it I will simplify things. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon Finley
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 10:38 AM

No doubt... GoPro Quik is not very intuitive. Once you select a media file and add the desired "gauges", select the scissor icon (Create a Clip). This allows you to select the portion of the media file to output (all of it down to just a small portion) and then Save. You can then select a new file name, video quality, and save it locally.

I really like the VSI and map that the Telemetry Overlay software provides. 👍 The GoPro Quik gauges are probably fine for some applications but I'm not a fan.  Anxious for the Bennies to start falling so I have another reason to spend more hours sitting at my computer!! 😉

Since your already in the money...  Once you get to the point of running several GoPro cameras, the GoPro Smart Remote is the ticket.  Using the app in the cockpit is neat but I found it far too time consuming to be switching cameras and then starting/stopping them while simultaneously trying to avoid low flying rocks and trees. 😲 The Smart Remote is fairly basic - change mode and start/stop recording of all connected cameras - but is quick and easy.

Jon Finley