Sparrow Strainer

Bruce Crain

Here is about the best pic I could find without going out to the airport (sore throat). If I get a chance I will go to the airport for a side view so it can bet better evaluated. This is my set up that requires vortex generators on the bottom of the strainers. Due to the fact that without vortex generaters they stall out when I push over to kill lift on the elevator. That puts the generators up and behind the elevator at a high negative upside down angle of attack. Before vortex generators I would have to stall the aircraft to get the strainer to reattach the relative air under them. Now they slightly stall when I push forward before completing an aileron roll for just a second. Then immediately reattach when the stick is pulled back to normal flight.
Clear as mud?

Chris Walterson

Here are few pics of what I did. These are strainers from Dragonfly plans. I only have two hrs on the airplane, but it did fly hands off with the available trim I had originally set.  Lucky.  Take care----------Chris

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Chris. Any chance you could put on your snowshoes and go out to measure the angle difference between the top of the strainer airfoil and the top of the elevator surface. This would give me some idea of whether yours are stalled also. If not, you may have cracked the code.

Cheers,
jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Walterson
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 4:28 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Sparrow Strainer

Here are few pics of what I did. These are strainers from Dragonfly plans. I only have two hrs on the airplane, but it did fly hands off with the available trim I had originally set. Lucky. Take care----------Chris

--

Chris Walterson

Jay-----------  I found the info you wanted. Easier than putting on the snow shoes. The strainer airfoil is 2 x 10.25 and is upside down. I used

balsa and sanded to an airfoil shape and glassed.  The side arms are from 1/8 plywood glassed. My airfoil can be adjusted, but I never needed to. The top of the strainer relative to the top of the elevator is 30 degrees.  Enclosing a pic of the strainer while I am checking the elevator travel

Hope this helps.  Take care------------  Chris

--

Jay Scheevel

Thanks Chris,
Quick turn around! It sounds like you are about in the same ballpark as I am wrt to angle, so my guess is that your sparrow strainer is also stalled. Sometime when you get back to flying in the spring you can put some tufts on there and prove me right or wrong. For the time being, I am working solutions from a number of approaches

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Walterson
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 5:16 PM

Jay----------- I found the info you wanted. Easier than putting on the snow shoes. The strainer airfoil is 2 x 10.25 and is upside down. I used

balsa and sanded to an airfoil shape and glassed. The side arms are from 1/8 plywood glassed. My airfoil can be adjusted, but I never needed to. The top of the strainer relative to the top of the elevator is 30 degrees. Enclosing a pic of the strainer while I am checking the elevator travel

Hope this helps. Take care------------ Chris

--

Jay Scheevel

Ok, just checked the plans based version and it is more like 40 degrees from the top of the sparrow strainer airfoil and the top of the elevator. That is what mine is, since it is per plans, or at least I think it is. I will measure mine this weekend.

Yours is about 10 degrees lower angle (30 vs. 40 degrees), and as you said, it appears to work fine. So we are making some progress here.... I will do some more modeling and let you know.

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 5:22 PM

Thanks Chris,
Quick turn around! It sounds like you are about in the same ballpark as I am wrt to angle, so my guess is that your sparrow strainer is also stalled. Sometime when you get back to flying in the spring you can put some tufts on there and prove me right or wrong. For the time being, I am working solutions from a number of approaches

Cheers,
Jay

Jay----------- I found the info you wanted. Easier than putting on the snow shoes. The strainer airfoil is 2 x 10.25 and is upside down. I used

balsa and sanded to an airfoil shape and glassed. The side arms are from 1/8 plywood glassed. My airfoil can be adjusted, but I never needed to. The top of the strainer relative to the top of the elevator is 30 degrees. Enclosing a pic of the strainer while I am checking the elevator travel

Hope this helps. Take care------------ Chris

--

Troy Zawlacki

I want to add a note on the sparrow strainers that I haven’t seen mentioned yet. There are (at least) two variations of sparrow strainers in the plans from QAC.

Here is the one that you will get in the package from Jon Matcho with Dan Yager’s name on it. The plans say to put this 1” outboard of the inboard edge of the elevator, so basically as close to the fuselage as possible.

The lesser know profile is this one straight from QAC back in the day. This one says to offset it 24.75” from the inboard edge of the elevator. Also the length of the airfoil here is 17.75” compared to 11.5” in the other (newer) design.

So while there are at least these two official variants of the “hack,” builders seem to take a lot of liberty with this part of the plane. I’ve probably seen a dozen variations of the placement when I was researching before building mine. I built the smaller 11.5” ones.

TAZ

On Feb 23, 2022, at 4:50 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Ok, just checked the plans based version and it is more like 40 degrees from the top of the sparrow strainer airfoil and the top of the elevator. That is what mine is, since it is per plans, or at least I think it is. I will measure mine this weekend.

Yours is about 10 degrees lower angle (30 vs. 40 degrees), and as you said, it appears to work fine. So we are making some progress here....  I will do some more modeling and let you know.

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Chris,

Cheers,
Jay

Jay-----------  I found the info you wanted. Easier than putting on the snow shoes. The strainer airfoil is 2 x 10.25 and is upside down. I used

balsa and sanded to an airfoil shape and glassed.  The side arms are from 1/8 plywood glassed. My airfoil can be adjusted, but I never needed to. The top of the strainer relative to the top of the elevator is 30 degrees.  Enclosing a pic of the strainer while I am checking the elevator travel

Hope this helps.  Take care------------  Chris

--

Jay Scheevel

I will research this, Troy. Thanks for bringing this up. That is a huge difference. The 17.75 inch version is much lower angle, which probably explains the proportional reduction in angle on that version. Not sure what the rationale is behind the move from midspan to near the fuse.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Zawlacki
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 6:48 PM

I want to add a note on the sparrow strainers that I haven’t seen mentioned yet. There are (at least) two variations of sparrow strainers in the plans from QAC.

Here is the one that you will get in the package from Jon Matcho with Dan Yager’s name on it. The plans say to put this 1” outboard of the inboard edge of the elevator, so basically as close to the fuselage as possible.

The lesser know profile is this one straight from QAC back in the day. This one says to offset it 24.75” from the inboard edge of the elevator. Also the length of the airfoil here is 17.75” compared to 11.5” in the other (newer) design.

So while there are at least these two official variants of the “hack,” builders seem to take a lot of liberty with this part of the plane. I’ve probably seen a dozen variations of the placement when I was researching before building mine. I built the smaller 11.5” ones.

TAZ

Yours is about 10 degrees lower angle (30 vs. 40 degrees), and as you said, it appears to work fine. So we are making some progress here....  I will do some more modeling and let you know.

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Chris,

Cheers,
Jay

Jay-----------  I found the info you wanted. Easier than putting on the snow shoes. The strainer airfoil is 2 x 10.25 and is upside down. I used

balsa and sanded to an airfoil shape and glassed.  The side arms are from 1/8 plywood glassed. My airfoil can be adjusted, but I never needed to. The top of the strainer relative to the top of the elevator is 30 degrees.  Enclosing a pic of the strainer while I am checking the elevator travel

--

Terry Crouch

I am not smart enough to be in this discussion.  The one comment I will make is I make mine adjustable. If I change the angle 2 degrees + or 2 degrees -  from plans the way the airplane flies is dramatically different. Be careful out there.

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC

To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Feb 23, 2022 7:48 pm

TAZ

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Chris,

Cheers,
Jay

--

Greg Z.

In the early days Gene Shehan removed the strainers trying to get better CAFE numbers and increased speed. He reported the aircraft was very hard to control in pitch. Also an early Q2 builder Ken Lowder had a strainer depart in flight and the stick was pulled out of his hand as the craft dove for the ground. Luckily he regained control and landed safely. As others have stated, they are powerful control devices, proceed with caution
Greg Zimmerman  
Tri Q200  N89RZ

To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:46 pm

I am not smart enough to be in this discussion.  The one comment I will make is I make mine adjustable. If I change the angle 2 degrees + or 2 degrees -  from plans the way the airplane flies is dramatically different. Be careful out there.

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC

To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Feb 23, 2022 7:48 pm

TAZ

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Chris,

Cheers,
Jay

--

Frankenbird Vern

Chris.. how did you provide for adjustment of the Strainers? Is there a degree limit inherent or 
what was the design you chose? I am curious because being able to tuft test by camera EACH
aircraft adjustment needs as it built is would be a good option. You know there are quite a few
variables between aircraft.  My Canard for example has no Anhedral and it is the GU airfoil.. it is 
flat because it was built as a MkII configuration from the onset of construction. 

It was a good plan to have ground adjustable Strainers. I never thought of this much until 
this recent video Jay did. I guess like others I presumed the Strainers were fixed in place 
and final aerodynamics incorporated.   

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Chris Walterson <dkeats@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 6:16 PM

Jay-----------  I found the info you wanted. Easier than putting on
the snow shoes. The strainer airfoil is 2 x 10.25 and is upside down. I used

balsa and sanded to an airfoil shape and glassed.  The side arms are
from 1/8 plywood glassed. My airfoil can be adjusted, but I never needed
to. The top of the strainer relative to the top of the elevator is 30
degrees.  Enclosing a pic of the strainer while I am checking the
elevator travel

Hope this helps.  Take care------------  Chris

--

Frankenbird Vern

Chris..does this mean you have a "mini-frankenbird" ??  Grins.  

Vern

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Chris Walterson <dkeats@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 5:28 PM

Here are few pics of what I did. These are strainers from Dragonfly
plans. I only have two hrs on the airplane, but it did fly hands off
with the available trim I had originally set.  Lucky.  Take
care----------Chris

--

Ian Ashdown

This conversation is concerning me.  I will be starting to build my Q-200 kit soon-ish and will eventually need to put something on the airplane.  

The ‘usual sparrow strainers’ look ‘wrong’ to me aerodynamically, but I’m not sure what condition the are trying to correct.  Is there a description of why they were introduced initially?  It does seem that they are very powerful so I’m not excited about putting on something incorrect.  

I have plenty of time to see how this conversation evolves but I’m definitely going to watch with interest.

ian

Jay Scheevel

Use the plans version. They work fine for all who have installed them per plans, including me.  

We are working on the problem of somehow making them better from a drag standpoint. You do not want to fly without them, since the elevator shape will put you in a constant nose down attitude without them.  Just think of this discussion as background noise that is not relevant to you as a builder.

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ian Ashdown
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2022 12:55 PM

This conversation is concerning me.  I will be starting to build my Q-200 kit soon-ish and will eventually need to put something on the airplane.  

The ‘usual sparrow strainers’ look ‘wrong’ to me aerodynamically, but I’m not sure what condition the are trying to correct.  Is there a description of why they were introduced initially?  It does seem that they are very powerful so I’m not excited about putting on something incorrect.  

I have plenty of time to see how this conversation evolves but I’m definitely going to watch with interest.

ian

Ian Ashdown

Yes, I think you’re right!  Just build it like the plans first . . .

I’m planning to re-engineer some things so I’m always thinking if I can improve the initial product rather than make it twice!

It does seem that a re-profiled elevator might be the right solution.  

ian

Jay Scheevel

Hi Troy,

I have done some digging. I have every scrap of paper I ever got from QAC, and I never got the builder notes with the longer mid-span sparrow strainer, so that must have been short lived. It looks like you have the original paper there. Out of curiousity, what is the SN of the kit you have?

Cheers,

Jay

TAZ

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Chris,

Cheers,
Jay

--

Chris Walterson

For adjustment.  When I built the airfoil it is attached to the side with #6 fine thread screws. I drilled two holes in each side of the airfoil and inserted epoxi and then inserted the waxed screw. Let it set up well and then heat the screw a bit with a torch and remove screw. The holes in the mounts are aligned to be thirty degrees with the airfoil before I mounted the screws permanently.

As I said before they have worked as is from the start, but, If I need any adjustment I can make the holes in the plywood mounts oblong to give adjustment.

On my little Super Quickie I built there were no strainers, but I needed enough spring pressure that the elevators were held in the down position until I started to move, then it would fly well.  My Quickie should of had strainers in my opinion, but it did fly well with the spring pressure.

--

Chris Walterson

For adjustment.  When I built the airfoil it is attached to the side with #6 fine thread screws. I drilled two holes in each side of the airfoil and inserted epoxi and then inserted the waxed screw. Let it set up well and then heat the screw a bit with a torch and remove screw. The holes in the mounts are aligned to be thirty degrees with the airfoil before I mounted the screws permanently.

As I said before they have worked as is from the start, but, If I need any adjustment I can make the holes in the plywood mounts oblong to give adjustment.

On my little Super Quickie I built there were no strainers, but I needed enough spring pressure that the elevators were held in the down position until I started to move, then it would fly well.  My Quickie should of had strainers in my opinion, but it did fly well with the spring pressure.  take care--------------- Chris

--

Jay Scheevel

Hi Troy,

Here is what I have gathered on the timing of the two sparrow strainer designs.

There was a sport aviation cover and story in March 1984. The photo below clearly shows the prototype N81QA with the 17.5” sparrow strainer at mid-span.

The photo also shows that the plane is lacking the large “digital-style” 8 that was on the tail when Gene Sheehan was flying the plane in races including the OSHKOSH 500 race in late July of 1983.

The next photo below is from Michael Huffman’s report on the flight characteristics of the Q200 that he performed September 9-11 of 1983 in Mojave. In this picture the inboard 11.5” sparrow strainer is installed. Other photos in Huffman’s report show the large “8” on the tail of N81QA at that time (early September, 1983).  

What I can surmise is that the March 1984 Sport Aviation article (written by Gene Sheehan) must have been submitted to EAA early in 1983, soon after QAC retrofitted the LS1 on N81QA. So there was a brief period in early to mid-1983 that they were flying with this long mid-span sparrow strainer. Then by Oshkosh 1983, or, at the latest, early September of 1983 they had moved on to the 11.5” inboard mounted sparrow strainer, which they maintained until QAC went out of business in 1985.

I got my plans and kit in September of 1984, so that is why I never saw any documentation of the longer sparrow strainer.

Cheers,

Jay

TAZ

Cheers,
Jay

Thanks Chris,

Cheers,
Jay

--

Jay Scheevel

I think your comments square with what Charlie has said about the dragonfly, in that the dragonfly plans include sparrow strainers for the GU canard. The Q2 with the GU canard probably requires some spring tension to get the elevators to trail for the same reason.

Maybe one of the people with a GU canard on the Q2 could comment on this. Corbin??

Cheers,
Jay

Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2022 2:45 PM

For adjustment. When I built the airfoil it is attached to the side with #6 fine thread screws. I drilled two holes in each side of the airfoil and inserted epoxi and then inserted the waxed screw. Let it set up well and then heat the screw a bit with a torch and remove screw. The holes in the mounts are aligned to be thirty degrees with the airfoil before I mounted the screws permanently.

On my little Super Quickie I built there were no strainers, but I needed enough spring pressure that the elevators were held in the down position until I started to move, then it would fly well. My Quickie should of had strainers in my opinion, but it did fly well with the spring pressure.

--