In my case, that would mean I have the 807th Q2 kit QAC sold, not the almost 3-thousandth. That's still a big number but Jay's comment about sub kits getting S/N's is something I never thought about before. There may be a whole lot less fully complete kits out in the wild than I had originally thought?...
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jay Scheevel

Hi Michael,

Like many kit manufacturers, the leading digit(s) represent the model. So the 2000’s indicate Q2, where the Q1’s had no leading digit (I think).

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Mike Dwyer

FYI, my Q200 kit was sn 2841.
Mike Dwyer Q200

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Paul Fisher

You made me go look!  I was serial number 2652.  I picked up the kit from a local dealer on April 22nd 1983.  First flight was August 13th 1990.  Geez that was a long time ago!!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Brian Larick

The kit that I have is 2592.  Over time it includes q-200 addendum and parts, belly board, reflexor.  Desperately wanting to get rolling on this thing but time keeps ticking.

Anyway it’s out here.  Will get it in the air.

Brian

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jim Patillo

My SN is #2468

Jim
N46JP Q200

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jay Scheevel

I suspect that my kit may be one of the last full kits out the door at QAC. I received the last of my shipments in late 1984.

On Feb 25, 2022, at 9:10 PM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

My SN is #2468

Jim
N46JP Q200

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

allen relseg

Gee guys,  I had to go look to see my ser#.  2032
I think this Q 200 should be done by now , can I blame it on the COVID !!
Mark

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Frankenbird Vern

As all know, for registration with the FAA it isn't super critical about the serial numbers anyway since there is no such thing
as Service Bulletin or Airworthiness Directive issued to our machines.
😊

 For me it is interesting in the question as to how many Q birds were actually released, because the fabrication of the
shells and spars alone would have been an involved manufacturing line. Tooling for sure! Supply chain of the non layup parts
another big challenge.  The FAA registry is of no particular help on numbers either. My project for instance..can't by
rights call it a Q2 OR a Dragonfly.

 On my wifes airplane.. the Capella XS2.. the supply chain fails is what took the program into the Court system!  Not quite
as bad as the BD5 fiasco ended up being, but there was a lot of angst on the part of John Reid Howell Jr in Austin Texas.
 It's a nice airplane and kinda reminds me of Deputy Dog, well engineered and has good STOL performance but he was still
driven out.

 Events like this aught be a warning to others that intend on aircraft factory startups which are really difficult to
achieve even in the most favorable of Markets (cubic Dollars for one). You can have the best design from any other but
get hammered from all nature of problems surrounding the build.

  A major part of the Manufacturing Engineering world as I did (do sometimes now also) is work around the supply chain
fails to meet the delivery day. Chasing down snafu's and doing design review sign offs to hopefully keep the bugs out before
they hit the Shop. Globalization has BIG TIME magnified the problems, and the bean counters whining about raw material
storage taxes and payrolls is what took us to our knees.

 The suits killed off the "in house build" and in doing that we ended up with zero safety net to protect the schedule. Then they
wrote up and signed into stupid contracts. The Lazy B is now in a hurt partly because JIT went to hell in a handbasket.
China Offset and others like that one bit them in the ass, just as the old timers in my world told them would happen.

 It is a tribute that the Q factory did accomplish these kits, guys. It was a major task and still would be, and for what they had to work
with I am amazed at the the quality details they produced. Its why completing the project IS worthwhile, if for no other reason
than the efforts these folks went through to fabricate and ship the kits. I know it might sound corny but the folks doing the layups
were not thinking only of the paycheck. In some corner of their thoughts that knew they were making something
that fulfilled someones dream.  As Bruce says "Git Er Done!"

Vern

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Frankenbird Vern

 Haha.. you guys are funny.. I'm gonna blame my yard sale project being incomplete on Lak-A-Dollars.

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Frankenbird Vern

 Stop it!! NO IT WAS... uh.. well.. ONLY 1990.  Umm.. damn.. I was still a puppy then wasn't I?

 Well anyway Paul.  The point is you HAVE the airplane..and it's good to have all those memories
with her too!

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jay Scheevel

Good points, Vern. The only person that is still somewhat “available” to talk about what it was like in that QAC shop way back when is Scott Swing. It would be fun to get him to write a little retrospective from the QAC manufacturing side of the fence, at least as much as he can recall. It would be a good companion series to what our own Jim Masal produced from the perspective of the builder side of the fence.

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Rick Hole

Scott was my boss at Velocity 2005-2016.  You might find it easier to get him for an  interview him on our Zoom platform.

Rick Hole

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Jim Patillo

Rick, that is an excellent idea. He was at QAC during a lot of this stuff.

Jim
N46JP Q200

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Frankenbird Vern

 I was told my Canard and Wing were built by a very knowledgeable composites builder on the Florida coast. It would be
great to hear the stories.

 Wonder who it was I was told about??

 Vern

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Rick Hole

On my last visit I stopped by to speak with him.  His Q200 was parked at the front spot in the hangar.  It might make a Q-tour, or maybe just his remembrances of his days at QAC would be even more interesting.

 Rick Hole
Tegucigalpa, Honduras

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael Dunning

Gee Kevin, looks like you definitely set the record for "High Score" in the S/N game 👍

Hopefully someone can do sufficient pestering to get a Scott Swing Q-tour; sounds epic!
--
-MD

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)