Flight report

Jay Scheevel

Went up for a winter flight today and it was very enjoyable. When I took off, it was -3C and during the flight, climbed to over 9000 feet at -10C. It was smooth air and severe clear, so sight seeing was a pleasure with 100+ mile visibility. This is a nice time of year to fly, since my radiator doors are completely closed and everything is quite clean aerodynamically, and there is plenty of power and climb.

From a destination standpoint, it was a case of all dressed up (bundled up) and nowhere to go.  I am including a picture of my flight path, so you can get the idea. I was mostly flying in the vicinity of my home airport (10CO) between 8 and 9 thousand feet. I admit is looks like a ball of twine, but it was a chance to do some wingovers, chandelles, really steep turns and to get quality work on my feel for the speed dynamics and coordination of the plane and pilot. I like the fact that its accel-deceleration characteristics are very smooth and controls are well balanced in all phases. I recommend this highly to other Q-drivers. It is fun and at the end you feel like you have sharpened your skills.

As a final exercise I circled down from 8000’ with the throttle pulled to idle. I made my last turn onto downwind at pattern altitude and 100 mph indicated and did a squeaker landing close to the target point on the runway. I had not done this for a while, so that felt good and pushed the plane back over the snow into the hangar with a smile on my face.

Well, that’s all from the wild west… All you Q-builders need to become Q-flyers!

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2, N8WQ  204 hours

Mike Dwyer

We can tell that you weren't using an autopilot!
Fun report, thanks!
Mike Dwyer Q200

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 6:44 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Went up for a winter flight today and it was very enjoyable. When I took off, it was -3C and during the flight, climbed to over 9000 feet at -10C. It was smooth air and severe clear, so sight seeing was a pleasure with 100+ mile visibility. This is a nice time of year to fly, since my radiator doors are completely closed and everything is quite clean aerodynamically, and there is plenty of power and climb.

From a destination standpoint, it was a case of all dressed up (bundled up) and nowhere to go.  I am including a picture of my flight path, so you can get the idea. I was mostly flying in the vicinity of my home airport (10CO) between 8 and 9 thousand feet. I admit is looks like a ball of twine, but it was a chance to do some wingovers, chandelles, really steep turns and to get quality work on my feel for the speed dynamics and coordination of the plane and pilot. I like the fact that its accel-deceleration characteristics are very smooth and controls are well balanced in all phases. I recommend this highly to other Q-drivers. It is fun and at the end you feel like you have sharpened your skills.

As a final exercise I circled down from 8000’ with the throttle pulled to idle. I made my last turn onto downwind at pattern altitude and 100 mph indicated and did a squeaker landing close to the target point on the runway. I had not done this for a while, so that felt good and pushed the plane back over the snow into the hangar with a smile on my face.

Well, that’s all from the wild west… All you Q-builders need to become Q-flyers!

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2, N8WQ  204 hours

Bruce Crain

Looks like your signature Dr J!
Bruce

On Feb 26, 2022, at 6:12 PM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

We can tell that you weren't using an autopilot!
Fun report, thanks!
Mike Dwyer Q200

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 6:44 PM Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Went up for a winter flight today and it was very enjoyable. When I took off, it was -3C and during the flight, climbed to over 9000 feet at -10C. It was smooth air and severe clear, so sight seeing was a pleasure with 100+ mile visibility. This is a nice time of year to fly, since my radiator doors are completely closed and everything is quite clean aerodynamically, and there is plenty of power and climb.

From a destination standpoint, it was a case of all dressed up (bundled up) and nowhere to go.  I am including a picture of my flight path, so you can get the idea. I was mostly flying in the vicinity of my home airport (10CO) between 8 and 9 thousand feet. I admit is looks like a ball of twine, but it was a chance to do some wingovers, chandelles, really steep turns and to get quality work on my feel for the speed dynamics and coordination of the plane and pilot. I like the fact that its accel-deceleration characteristics are very smooth and controls are well balanced in all phases. I recommend this highly to other Q-drivers. It is fun and at the end you feel like you have sharpened your skills.

As a final exercise I circled down from 8000’ with the throttle pulled to idle. I made my last turn onto downwind at pattern altitude and 100 mph indicated and did a squeaker landing close to the target point on the runway. I had not done this for a while, so that felt good and pushed the plane back over the snow into the hangar with a smile on my face.

Well, that’s all from the wild west… All you Q-builders need to become Q-flyers!

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2, N8WQ  204 hours

<image001.png>

Richard Thomson

    Wow Jay, makes me feel dizzy just looking at your flightpath.

    Its the best time of year to fly, great performance and great Vis.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Rich T.

On 26/02/2022 23:44, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Went up for a winter flight today and it was very enjoyable. When I took off, it was -3C and during the flight, climbed to over 9000 feet at -10C. It was smooth air and severe clear, so sight seeing was a pleasure with 100+ mile visibility. This is a nice time of year to fly, since my radiator doors are completely closed and everything is quite clean aerodynamically, and there is plenty of power and climb.

From a destination standpoint, it was a case of all dressed up (bundled up) and nowhere to go.  I am including a picture of my flight path, so you can get the idea. I was mostly flying in the vicinity of my home airport (10CO) between 8 and 9 thousand feet. I admit is looks like a ball of twine, but it was a chance to do some wingovers, chandelles, really steep turns and to get quality work on my feel for the speed dynamics and coordination of the plane and pilot. I like the fact that its accel-deceleration characteristics are very smooth and controls are well balanced in all phases. I recommend this highly to other Q-drivers. It is fun and at the end you feel like you have sharpened your skills.

As a final exercise I circled down from 8000’ with the throttle pulled to idle. I made my last turn onto downwind at pattern altitude and 100 mph indicated and did a squeaker landing close to the target point on the runway. I had not done this for a while, so that felt good and pushed the plane back over the snow into the hangar with a smile on my face.

Well, that’s all from the wild west… All you Q-builders need to become Q-flyers!

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2, N8WQ  204 hours

Kevin Boddicker

Well. After all of my pissing and moaning for weeks now, I finally got my first flight of the year (in my Q) completed.
Nice day, compared to what we have been experiencing, light and variable winds, clear skies, 33°F on the ramp.
I had not flown my Q since early October. Followed by my condition inspection completed in November.

With that said I decided after run up, I would make a couple of fast taxi’s to see WOT and evaluate the power, smoothness of the engine, carb heat at WOT.
All was good. TO on 29 was smooth. Climb at 110MPH indicated yielded about 1000’ FPM climb.
Left the pattern, just flew around and enjoyed the recreation side of homebuilding!
1.4 hours later I was on the ground with a re-usable plane.

On base to final, a Piper Arrow decided that I needed some excitement, and said “Im going to get out of your way and depart.
I said “don’t” but then said I would go around. He said “you have plenty of room” as I was turning on final, and he was just getting a roll started. Went around in a right pattern, so I would not overfly him. Made a big circle and re-entered DW. Landing was acceptable.
No broken or missing parts.

The experience beats the hell out of whining about not flying!

As Jay said earlier, Get um dun. That too beats the hell out of building!

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B 571hrs
Luana, IA.

Frankenbird Vern

 It is good news you didn't get stuck by an Arrow!! How the hell does he know "you have enough room?"  Maybe he'd say the same thing if you were in the Concorde.  Probably waits at a corner until a Semi is 20 feet away at 60mph and then pulls in front of the truck.

[...]

I like that Kevin…”no broken or missing parts” Glad you got your first in before the en of February.

On Feb 27, 2022, at 6:08 PM, Frankenbird Vern <smeshno1@...> wrote:

[...]

Atta boy Kevie!!  Glad you could get er out and about!
Bruce

[...]

One Sky Dog

Nice Kevin,

Not my Dragonfly but I got my first camping air show in the log book this year!

Inline image
It’s warming up nicely,
Charlie

On Sunday, February 27, 2022, 5:57 PM, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

[...]

Looks like a beautiful morning there Charlie.