Quickie insurance

Troy Zawlacki

Does anyone have recommendations on insurance options for the Q aircraft? The responses I am getting dont look promising and require things like 20 hrs of dual from a CFI who has 10 hrs in a Q (basically impossible). Is everyone just flying without hull insurance for the first 100 hrs? Or do we just realize that hull insurance isn’t worth it for a plane with an upper end value of 30k? Ive never owned before so this is all new to me.

Taz

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

I was lucky in that my TW CFII worked for a company that has insurance to cover any plane he flies. By the time we ferried my Q home it gave him the 10 hours required by my insurance to instruct/transition me. I was willing to pay the price to “create” that CFII and have since let him fly the plane so that he has over 30 hours experience.

Since then, I “created” another CFII by paying to get him over the 10 hour minimum.

One of them is also a A&P and does my conditional inspections.

Like I said. I was lucky. Of course it cost me $$ to make all that work.

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

britmcman99

Falcon covered me only after 30 hours with instructor. However, they accepted the builder Bob Malechek to fly those hours off with me. I didn’t opt for hull insurance, only liability. You break it, nobody else is going to be able to fix it. It’s a builder’s airplane, after all. So maybe you might hope for a total write off? This was back in 2004. I got more insurance with Falcon (Global) a few years back and it wasn’t too bad, but again just liability.
Philip Lankford

On Mar 10, 2022, at 5:30 PM, Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:

Does anyone have recommendations on insurance options for the Q aircraft? The responses I am getting dont look promising and require things like 20 hrs of dual from a CFI who has 10 hrs in a Q (basically impossible). Is everyone just flying without hull insurance for the first 100 hrs? Or do we just realize that hull insurance isn’t worth it for a plane with an upper end value of 30k? Ive never owned before so this is all new to me.

Taz

Martin Skiby

Call Falcon Insurance. They insured both our TriQ and the Q200

Martin

On Mar 10, 2022, at 7:29 PM, britmcman99 via groups.io <britmcman@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Dunning

Corbin,

You might want to let those two know that they are now walking National Treasures 😉
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

Haha…every once in a while we do joke a little about his special they are.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Troy Zawlacki

This is good to know and it seems like im getting consistent info from the insurance agent at least.

I’m getting into exactly the catch 22 I predicted. I’m trying to figure out a place to put the plane for final inspection and phase 1 fly off, and the airports require liability insurance for a tie down or hangar. Then the insurance won’t insure me until after xx amount of hours in the plane… Exactly the conundrum I expected after researching the topic. Something doesn’t add up here.

Taz

On Mar 11, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser@...> wrote:

Haha…every once in a while we do joke a little about his special they are.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Jerry Marstall

Never carried Hull insurance. Essentially, if you break, you fix it.  Who else knows how to fix a Q except a Q builder?
Jerry M

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022, 8:30 PM Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations on insurance options for the Q aircraft? The responses I am getting dont look promising and require things like 20 hrs of dual from a CFI who has 10 hrs in a Q (basically impossible). Is everyone just flying without hull insurance for the first 100 hrs? Or do we just realize that hull insurance isn’t worth it for a plane with an upper end value of 30k? Ive never owned before so this is all new to me.

Taz

Mike Dwyer

Never had hull insurance.  I built it and figure that I could fix it myself.  36 years of flight so have saved $72,000 so far.
Mike Dwyer Q200

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022, 8:30 PM Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations on insurance options for the Q aircraft? The responses I am getting dont look promising and require things like 20 hrs of dual from a CFI who has 10 hrs in a Q (basically impossible). Is everyone just flying without hull insurance for the first 100 hrs? Or do we just realize that hull insurance isn’t worth it for a plane with an upper end value of 30k? Ive never owned before so this is all new to me.

Taz

Kevin Boddicker

I was covered by Falcon from first flight (3/10/06) with hull ins. at $20,000. NOT IN MOTION. No coverage if the engine was running.
Only stuff like fire, wind, building failure were covered… Did drop hull coverage last year. Seemed like a waste as Mike said in his note. Just got the renewal policy yesterday. My agent is Kris Abernathy. Great guy to work with.
I had 5 hours in type, logged. At first flight.
It is a Tri Q however. That probably presents less risk in the ins. companies eyes…???

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B   571 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Mar 11, 2022, at 6:49 AM, Mike Dwyer <q200pilot@...> wrote:

Never had hull insurance.  I built it and figure that I could fix it myself.  36 years of flight so have saved $72,000 so far.
Mike Dwyer Q200

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022, 8:30 PM Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations on insurance options for the Q aircraft? The responses I am getting dont look promising and require things like 20 hrs of dual from a CFI who has 10 hrs in a Q (basically impossible). Is everyone just flying without hull insurance for the first 100 hrs? Or do we just realize that hull insurance isn’t worth it for a plane with an upper end value of 30k? Ive never owned before so this is all new to me.

Taz

Sam Hoskins

No hull here, either.  When I first looked into it, the insurance company wanted 10% of the aircrafts value, whatever I declared that to be.

So, I just fix it myself, and fix it, and fix it, and fix it.

Sam

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 6:37 AM Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:
Never carried Hull insurance. Essentially, if you break, you fix it.  Who else knows how to fix a Q except a Q builder?
Jerry M

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022, 8:30 PM Troy Zawlacki <troyzc3@...> wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations on insurance options for the Q aircraft? The responses I am getting dont look promising and require things like 20 hrs of dual from a CFI who has 10 hrs in a Q (basically impossible). Is everyone just flying without hull insurance for the first 100 hrs? Or do we just realize that hull insurance isn’t worth it for a plane with an upper end value of 30k? Ive never owned before so this is all new to me.

Taz

Frankenbird Vern

Easy solution.. do as Charlie Johnson did for his Dragonfly and BUY the airport.. or a piece of it.  Then tell the municipals to jump off a cliff!