Spring Fling

Jerry Marstall

I was recently reminded that there is not a Spring Fling planned for this Spring.  Kevin has been gracious enough to pick up the ball for FOD and therefore won’t be hosting Spring Fling this year.

It would be a terrible thing not to have a Spring Fling; it's a long-time tradition that I believe began with Kevin Boddiker 10 years or so ago.  Nancy and I, in the past,  have investigated the possibility of having either SF or FOD in or near Asheville, NC.  Each time we find that the local environment (Western NC, Northern SC and Eastern TN) does not fit the bill.  The bigger airports are towered and some have commercial airlines ( Asheville – 7, plus landing fees for non-locals) which greatly limits spontaneous fights. 

The smaller non-towered airports that would be appropriate are in the boondocks; several miles from motels, restaurants and transportation.  Plus they don’t have hangars for our Q’s or anyplace to gather.

All of this is to say, WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE STEP FORWARD TO HOST THE SPRINGFLING???

From what Kevin tells me, there isn’t much to do as far as preparation – give him a call.

I would really like to see you folks this spring.  Jerry Marstall

Jay Scheevel

Good idea, Jerry,

I think people would probably balk at airports in my mountainous area….but…

My Quickie still knows the way to Enid. That would be an ownership swap of the two events. 😊

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Marstall
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2022 6:10 PM
To: Q-email list <main@Q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Spring Fling

I was recently reminded that there is not a Spring Fling planned for this Spring.  Kevin has been gracious enough to pick up the ball for FOD and therefore won’t be hosting Spring Fling this year.

It would be a terrible thing not to have a Spring Fling; it's a long-time tradition that I believe began with Kevin Boddiker 10 years or so ago.  Nancy and I, in the past,  have investigated the possibility of having either SF or FOD in or near Asheville, NC.  Each time we find that the local environment (Western NC, Northern SC and Eastern TN) does not fit the bill.  The bigger airports are towered and some have commercial airlines ( Asheville – 7, plus landing fees for non-locals) which greatly limits spontaneous fights. 

The smaller non-towered airports that would be appropriate are in the boondocks; several miles from motels, restaurants and transportation.  Plus they don’t have hangars for our Q’s or anyplace to gather.

All of this is to say, WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE STEP FORWARD TO HOST THE SPRINGFLING???

From what Kevin tells me, there isn’t much to do as far as preparation – give him a call.

Hello everyone, 
I've been talking to Jerry about the possibility of hosting in Terre Haute, IN.  Jerry has flown to HUF and is familiar with the facility there.  I also know Sam and Terry have been there too. 
There are a few logistics to work through but wondering from y'all what the interest would be in a Midwest venue. 
Take a look at KHUF and let me know your thoughts. 
If generally positive I'll look into it and get back. 
Thanks, Keith

---------- Original Message ----------
To: "Q-email list" <main@Q-list.groups.io>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:09:49 -0400

Jerry Marstall

👍Jerry 

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022, 11:07 AM Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
Hello everyone, 
I've been talking to Jerry about the possibility of hosting in Terre Haute, IN.  Jerry has flown to HUF and is familiar with the facility there.  I also know Sam and Terry have been there too. 
There are a few logistics to work through but wondering from y'all what the interest would be in a Midwest venue. 
Thanks, Keith

Paul Fisher

Hey Keith!  KHUF looks like a good spot.  I hope one of the logistics that you are looking at is ordering good weather!!

Paul

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022, 10:07 Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
Hello everyone, 
Thanks, Keith

Jay Scheevel

You get my vote, Keith. Any dates in mind?

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Welsh
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2022 9:06 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Spring Fling

Hello everyone, 

Thanks, Keith

Hi Jay?
Thank you to you, Fish & Marstall for chiming in.
I’m thinkin out loud perhaps the weekends before or after Memorial Day.
I’ll get w/ the airport soon and begin to fill in some blanks.
TTY all later.

To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:36:19 -0600

Cheers,
Jay

Hello everyone,
I've been talking to Jerry about the possibility of hosting in Terre Haute, IN. Jerry has flown to HUF and is familiar with the facility there. I also know Sam and Terry have been there too.
Thanks, Keith

I was recently reminded that there is not a Spring Fling planned for this Spring. Kevin has been gracious enough to pick up the ball for FOD and therefore won&#8217;t be hosting Spring Fling this year.

It would be a terrible thing not to have a Spring Fling; it's a long-time tradition that I believe began with Kevin Boddiker 10 years or so ago. Nancy and I, in the past, have investigated the possibility of having either SF or FOD in or near Asheville, NC. Each time we find that the local environment (Western NC, Northern SC and Eastern TN) does not fit the bill. The bigger airports are towered and some have commercial airlines ( Asheville &#8211; 7, plus landing fees for non-locals) which greatly limits spontaneous fights.

The smaller non-towered airports that would be appropriate are in the boondocks; several miles from motels, restaurants and transportation. Plus they don&#8217;t have hangars for our Q&#8217;s or anyplace to gather.

From what Kevin tells me, there isn&#8217;t much to do as far as preparation &#8211; give him a call.
I would really like to see you folks this spring. Jerry Marstall

Hi Jay?
TTY all later.

So glad to hear Mike is OK.

Cheers,
Jay

Hello everyone,
I've been talking to Jerry about the possibility of hosting in Terre Haute, IN. Jerry has flown to HUF and is familiar with the facility there. I also know Sam and Terry have been there too.
Thanks, Keith

I was recently reminded that there is not a Spring Fling planned for this Spring. Kevin has been gracious enough to pick up the ball for FOD and therefore won&#8217;t be hosting Spring Fling this year.

It would be a terrible thing not to have a Spring Fling; it's a long-time tradition that I believe began with Kevin Boddiker 10 years or so ago. Nancy and I, in the past, have investigated the possibility of having either SF or FOD in or near Asheville, NC. Each time we find that the local environment (Western NC, Northern SC and Eastern TN) does not fit the bill. The bigger airports are towered and some have commercial airlines ( Asheville &#8211; 7, plus landing fees for non-locals) which greatly limits spontaneous fights.

The smaller non-towered airports that would be appropriate are in the boondocks; several miles from motels, restaurants and transportation. Plus they don&#8217;t have hangars for our Q&#8217;s or anyplace to gather.

From what Kevin tells me, there isn&#8217;t much to do as far as preparation &#8211; give him a call.

Bruce Crain

I may pull a “Fisher” and/or “Welsh” and fly our RV 6 as Honey Lamb wants to visit “The Ark” and also visit our friend David Stearman in Cincinnati around that venue. The RV has ADSB in and out and will need it for Cincinnati Class B. Also more luggage.
David played acoustic guitar on my album 3 lifetimes ago. Bet no one knew that! It didn’t go platinum.
Bruce and HL

On Mar 17, 2022, at 2:14 PM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

Hi Jay?
TTY all later.

So glad to hear Mike is OK.

Cheers,
Jay

Hello everyone,
Thanks, Keith

Kevin Boddicker

Keith,
How about Mattoon?
That seemed like a good spot.
I know you had to travel a bit to get there and back, so maybe that is not appealing.?

Kevin

On Mar 17, 2022, at 10:05 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

Hello everyone, 
Thanks, Keith

Jay Scheevel

I used to run cross country at their invitational when I was in high school!

Cheers,
Jay 

On Mar 17, 2022, at 7:48 PM, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

Keith,
How about Mattoon?
I know you had to travel a bit to get there and back, so maybe that is not appealing.?

Kevin

Hello everyone, 
Thanks, Keith

Kevin n Jay,
Mattoon would be a top choice on anyones list.  If I remember right they wanted $ to lease the hangar for the weekend.  Don’t quote me but that may have been what killed it.  But that was a long time ago and u know how memories get as we get older.  I know Steve Laribee follows this list.  I’ll touch base with him, who knows things may be different now.
Keith 

To: "main@q-list.groups.io" <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:48:41 -0500

Keith,

How about Mattoon?

Kevin

Hello everyone, 
Thanks, Keith

Jon Finley

Thanks for organizing this Keith.  Afraid I am allowed east of the Peco's a very limited number of times each year so will probably miss this one.

If I could make it, my input would be:
1. Less blue - more magenta airport.
2. More elevation. Not sure my airplane will fly at sub-thousand foot altitudes.
3. Free gas.

Jon Finley
Flying an RV-4 - Truth or Consequences, NM