2022 Spring Fling

Hello everyone,
It is now official, we have scheduled for the weekend of 3-5 June our annual Quickie / Dragonfly Spring Fling to be held at the Terre Haute Regional Airport (KHUF) Terre Haute, IN.

There will be hangar space a plenty for the group and ample space for socializing.  The airport is making available to our group it's conference room complete with hospitality and audio visual equipment for any presentations.  One of which I can think of that you all may enjoy, if you can talk that person into presenting their powerpoint, on what it's like to fly a Quickie in an Oshkosh Airshow.

About KHUF:  We are a Class D facility with radar which means we operate much like a Class C airport without the ADSB requirement.  You can use flight following all the way to the runway at HUF, which is nice.  Non transponder aircraft are welcome.  When calling Approach announce "Negative Radar Service", they will probably ask for a ID turn for making radar contact and your in.  Procedures are very simple and local flights for rides easy to do inside Class D airspace due to the limited normal traffic load and a very good tower to work with.  They authorize fam rides or city tours all the time.  Working with ground control anyone wishing to do photos of flying Q's near the runway can be done as well.  A portable radio will be on hand for that purpose.

I'm sure many of you fly into Class D's all the time but one with radar may be a little off your radar, for example...I begin listening to ATIS about 20-30 miles out on 127.5.  It will instruct you to call "Approach" on 125.45 at least 15 miles out, you will tell them Who you are, Where you are and What you want to do.  For example..."Hulman Approach N9MR, 15 East at 2500, landing Hulman".  They will give you a squawk code, bring you toward the airport, and ask you to contact "Tower" at 134.725 or if you are already using flight following you will have been handed off by then anyway.

Once on land the "Ground Control", 121.6, will have been made aware of the funny looking airplanes and know where to taxi you which will be on the far East side of the ramp if you want to look at a satellite view of the airport.  If they wanna be idiots just ask for the East Ramp.

So if you can, weather permitting of course, let me know if you plan to attend.  Doing so will help us to plan ahead.
We in the Hoosier State will be glad to see you.
And Welcome to Indiana.
Keith and Vicki Welsh

Jerry Marstall

YES!!!  Thanks Keith.  This is going to be fun.  I'm trying to recruit a Sundowner also.
Jerry Marstall

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022, 6:01 PM Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
[...]

Jay Scheevel

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the advance work and info. If weather permits, I am planning on being there.

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel N8WQ

[...]

Terry Crouch

I can't wait. I haven't been to HUF in a while, should be a great one.

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC

[...]

Paul Fisher

Sounds great Keith, I plan to be there!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022, 17:01 Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:
[...]

Kevin Boddicker

Keith,
Hope to be there.
Good weather will determine that.
I plan to be there. Never used my transponder before.
Time to learn. No worries Mate.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B    573 hrs
Luana, IA.

On Mar 22, 2022, at 4:59 PM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Crain

We will be coming!  Trying to figure out how to get enough clothes in the TriQ for 6 days so we can visit friends around Cincinnati and check out the Ark south of there plus come to Spring Fling!  Surely we can find a motel with a warshing machine!
Bruce and Honey Lamb

On Mar 22, 2022, at 7:38 PM, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bruce and Joanne,
We haven't been to the Ark yet but friends who have said to plan for two days, one for the Ark and one for the Creation Museum.  And not to worry, I doubt you'll be expelled if you bring the RV.

Weather wise....The Old Farmers Almanac is calling for slightly above normal temps for May and June and slightly below normal precipitation for the central IL and IN areas.  So far it's been right on for March with above normal temps and slightly above precipt.  So we'll see.

And not to worry about a washing machine if needed prior to departing TH.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who pronounces it warshing.

Kevin: is your TXPDR a mode C?  Doesn't really matter just thought I'd ask.
Also I didn't mention that at the initial callup after listening to ATIS the type aircraft is to be mentioned.  If not they'll ask.

For me and you  saying "Hulman Approach Experimental NXXX, 15+ East at 2500 with (ATIS ID), landing Hulman".  All that can be said at the initial callup if they are not busy which is normal.  Once in a great while they will be busy with ISU students and I will just call with only my N no. and they'll get back.  That's why the initial call is at the distance it is due to staying out of Class D until communication and in particular radar contact is confirmed.
Sometimes rereading things helps to notice something missed.

And officially we are Terre Haute Regional Airport Hulman Field and the 2019 Indiana Airport of the Year.
The Hulman family donated the 500+ acres for the new airport in the 1950's.  They are most famous for the Clabber Girl baking powder which is made right here in TH and more famous for owning the Indy 500 race track from 1945 thru 2019 at which time Roger Penske bought it.  Through the guidance of Tony Hulman having never profited from but returning all proceeds back into the track the 500 has become famously known over the years as The Greatest Spectacle in Racing and is the largest single day public attended event in the world.  So now you know a little about how the airport got its name.

A little off subject; I'd love Ian tell us what he knows about the new Indy cars since I'll be at the race this year.
Team Ed Carpenter is our guy as he is from Marshall.

Keith

[...]

Frankenbird Vern

You gonna do the monkey in the parachute airshow trick, Jay?

 I have Moondog and have begun reading it.   That story was a good start..got me to laughing half the morning.

Vern

[...]

I’ll pass on the monkey trick, Vern. Glad you are enjoying the book.

[...]

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

I can only hope that mine will have the new avionics finished and I will be flying well before then.  If so, I will gladly stretch my legs to head that way.  Seems like work and upgrades always get in my way of this annual get-together.

--

Corbin
N121CG

Kevin Boddicker

Keith,
Yes mode C.

Kevin

On Mar 23, 2022, at 6:30 AM, Keith Welsh <kw544@...> wrote:

[...]

UPS clothes to friends house.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022, 11:16 PM Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
[...]

Been there.  Done that.  Works sometimes.  I sent a box of clothes and a few extras home from Oshkosh.  I flew home and wouldn’t ya know it we went on strike and my box didn’t make it until the strike was over!
Bruski. (Jerry’s mini me wid da beard)

On Mar 23, 2022, at 6:40 PM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh my gosh Corbin,
You have been so good about keeping us informed and asking questions that we would absolutely love to see you and your beautiful plane.  Fingers crossed.
Keith

[...]

Mike Bergen

This is great to have it a little closer east this year. I'm making tentative planes and will fly the Bonanza out. Haven't attended one since the Dugas flyins.

That's great Mike,
It'll be good to see you.
All that's needed now is for Mother Nature to do her part.
Thanks, Keith