canopy

Chris Walterson

I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do one side.

 I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

Rick Hole

For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

Check for ammonia’s compatibility with plex. It would be a shame to craze the plex because of the chemical that you use.

For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:

  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

dflybldr

Buy a new canopy. Spray lat becomes permanent after about 20 years

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 3:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

I successfully peeled mine off after 35 years.

Buy a new canopy. Spray lat becomes permanent after about 20 years

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 3:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:

  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

dflybldr

no ammonia!!!!

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 4:02 PM Rick Hole via groups.io <r.hole=ieee.org@groups.io> wrote:
For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

Mike Steinsland

I have used a rubber wheel specifically designed to remove plastic pin striping and decals off of automotive paint finishes. Just attach it to something as simple as a drill.
I think I have one in the shop I'll check it tomorrow for a part number
They are pretty cheap and dont hurt the paint. Most auto paint shops will have them, might even find one at C Tire.

Try it on a corner and see how it works.
You may go through a few of them on something the size of a canopy.

On Tue., Apr. 12, 2022, 8:14 p.m. dflybldr, <tebhall@...> wrote:
no ammonia!!!!

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 4:02 PM Rick Hole via groups.io <r.hole=ieee.org@groups.io> wrote:
For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

Mike Steinsland

I just Googled " pinstripe removal tool"
That will get you there.
I've always used ones like you see from Mastercraft but I think I would get one of those or consider a wider one.

On Tue., Apr. 12, 2022, 8:26 p.m. Mike Steinsland via groups.io, <MIKESKUSTOMS=GMAIL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Robert Dixon

A good reference chart can be found here:

Acrylic, generally (PMMA), though i am not sure of the formulation of the original canopies.

Robert

On Apr 12, 2022, at 18:56, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Check for ammonia’s compatibility with plex. It would be a shame to craze the plex because of the chemical that you use.

For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:

  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

I used several pieces of plexiglass cut in pieces so they would fit my hand.  Then I used them to scrape off the protective film.  It doesn’t hurt the canopy plexiglass.  But it did take a long time to get it all off!
I am waiting for a friend of mine who has worked with getting the film off in the past professionally.  I just don’t remember what he used.
Bruce

On Apr 12, 2022, at 8:26 PM, Robert Dixon <rdixon000@...> wrote:

[...]

Stan Susman <stanpfa@...>

TRY WITE VINAGER

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022, 07:21:02 PM PDT, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Thomson

    Hi Chris,

    Have you tried painting more canopy protect over the existing coating, letting it dry then trying to pull it off. Its worked for me in the past.

    Rich T.

On 13/04/2022 01:26, Mike Steinsland wrote:
[...]

Frankenbird Vern

 What has the group experience been in this case using "Goof Off"?  Frankenbird has spraylat on the original Q2
kit canopy also.

Vern

For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

dflybldr

My Dragonfly canopy sat for over 20 years. I finally got enough off that I was able to see that it was crazed in some places, so I gave up. Yes I tried Goof off as well. No es bueno. The only thing that really worked was the heat gun, and that was going to create internal stresses that could cause a catastrophic failure in flight.

I found the company in Northern Calif still had the Dragonfly mold. My original canoy was also tinted which makes night flying a little more difficult.

The Dragonfly canoy is also the KR2 canopy as I recall.

I don't know if the Q2 canopy was blown or molded.

Todd's Canopies made blown canopy's but his facebook page says he was fatally injured in a plane crash back in 2016. I don't know if they are still in business.

 N39XD

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 9:06 AM Frankenbird Vern <smeshno1@...> wrote:
[...]

 Todd went west. The KR2 does look the same, that might be a good option.  Goof Off has Acetone in it as the main chemical, so it is
going to be a non starter.  We used to use Aliphatic Naphtha on some Interiors cleaning jobs at Cessna, Beech, and Falcon. It was not the
most effective but it also didn't attack chemically. It is a bit of an oily feel. My canopy is not tinted..since the previous kit builder progresses to the point of bonding it into the shell I can see the edge.  I need my hangar done so I have a place to start digging into these chores!!

For the laminate on car windows ammonia works

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022, 4:36 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  I am working on another project and am trying to remove the protective
coating on the windows. The spray on protective coating seems to be very
thin. If I heat enough to soften the bottom, the covering is too soft
and rips. Tried WD40, hair blower and even put it in the bath tub with
warm water.  With a wood stir stick it took about three hrs to half do
one side.

  I think I will try denatured alcohol next and if that doesn't work I
will try straight alcohol       in me.

Any suggestions??  Thanks  Chris

Christoph Steiner

I found the company in Northern Calif still had the Dragonfly mold. My original canoy was also tinted which makes night flying a little more difficult.

The Dragonfly canoy is also the KR2 canopy as I recall.

https://www.aircraftwindshield.com/

The Dragonfly canopy is not the KR2 canopy, but KR2S builders used the Dragonfly canopy for their projects :

http://www.n56ml.com/kcf.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20070602020125/http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/skipper/388/dflycanopysurvey/

Christoph

Robert Cringely

Some people claim to have had success removing Spray-LAT with 3M Adhesive Remover. There is also a 3M Adhesive Cleaner (two different products -- both aerosols). If you want to sneak up on it maybe start with the cleaner then go to the remover? Both claim to be safe for paint.

Bob

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:10 AM Christoph Steiner via groups.io <csteiner=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

> I found the company in Northern Calif still had the Dragonfly mold. My original canoy was also tinted which makes night flying a little more difficult.
>
> The Dragonfly canoy is also the KR2 canopy as I recall.
>
> https://www.aircraftwindshield.com/

The Dragonfly canopy is not the KR2 canopy, but KR2S builders used the Dragonfly canopy for their projects :

http://www.n56ml.com/kcf.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20070602020125/http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/skipper/388/dflycanopysurvey/

Christoph

Chris Walterson

Regarding the canopy protection. I think in my case the protection was sprayed on too thin. If I heat it enough to let it release from the canopy the spray cover is too thin and rips. The idea of spraying extra protection on and then take it off is a good idea.

 What I have been doing is to heat of the back side of the plexi and then try to peel the protector. Doesn't work great, but the best so far.

I have had other very old canopies that it came off well, but as I said this spray is real thin.

I'll give vinegar a try tomorrow and let you know. thanks----------  Chris

Spray Lat is water based so petroleum products won’t mix.
Bruce

On Apr 13, 2022, at 1:17 PM, Robert Cringely <bob@...> wrote:

Some people claim to have had success removing Spray-LAT with 3M Adhesive Remover. There is also a 3M Adhesive Cleaner (two different products -- both aerosols). If you want to sneak up on it maybe start with the cleaner then go to the remover? Both claim to be safe for paint.

Bob

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 11:10 AM Christoph Steiner via groups.io <csteiner=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

> I found the company in Northern Calif still had the Dragonfly mold. My original canoy was also tinted which makes night flying a little more difficult.
>
> The Dragonfly canoy is also the KR2 canopy as I recall.
>
> https://www.aircraftwindshield.com/

The Dragonfly canopy is not the KR2 canopy, but KR2S builders used the Dragonfly canopy for their projects :

http://www.n56ml.com/kcf.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20070602020125/http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/skipper/388/dflycanopysurvey/

Christoph

Robert Cringely

That may be the case, yet some people swear it works great. Not me: I’m just passing along wisdom from my older brother, who usually knows what he is talking about.

Bob