Really so hard to land?

Edited

Rumor has it the Quickie Q2 is really hard to land and sometimes rumors are just that, rumors and not true. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I embark on this Quickie rescue mission ;-)

Thanks Robert
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Love building planes almost as much as flying. Latest completed build is "Loki", a Chinook Plus 2 bush plane.

Jay Scheevel

Are you looking to rescue a Quickie (single seat) or a Q2?

Cheers,
Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Schmid
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 1:02 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: [Q-List] Really so hard to land?

Rumor has it the Quickie is really hard to land and sometimes rumors are just that, rumors and not true. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I embark on this Quickie rescue mission ;-)

Thanks Robert

Steve S

I have a tri q kit for sale. 

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 3:25 PM, Jay Scheevel
<jay@...> wrote:

Are you looking to rescue a Quickie (single seat) or a Q2?

Cheers,
Jay

Rumor has it the Quickie is really hard to land and sometimes rumors are just that, rumors and not true. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I embark on this Quickie rescue mission ;-)

Thanks Robert

Q2

Jay Scheevel

I have a tri-Q2, so I will let the Q2/Q200 guys on the list chime in for most everything else.

The common denominator between the Tri-Q2 and the Q2 is landing speed. You have to be comfortable landing fast. Most of them, including mine are doing 90 mph IAS on short final, and 80-85 mph over the numbers. Typically, depending on weight, they will not fly slower than 70-72 mph indicated, so I am touching down around  75 IAS to keep from bouncing. 

If you want to get a visual feel for those speeds while landing, here are two videos of my Tri-Q2 landing. The first is with the camera on the tail and the second is with the camera on the right landing gear.

https://youtu.be/pRe4yT-mqaw?t=151

https://youtu.be/1UwTI2DoMz8?t=121

Any other insight will have to come from one of the taildragger guys.

Cheers,

Jay

[Edited Message Follows]

Rumor has it the Quickie Q2 is really hard to land and sometimes rumors are just that, rumors and not true. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I embark on this Quickie rescue mission ;-)

Thanks Robert

Sam Hoskins

The Q-2 and variations are not the easiest aircraft to takeoff and land and are not to be taken lightly.  They are a hot little bugger and have quirks that no other aircraft have. There have been several first flight fatalities of people who were not properly prepared and coached. Frankly, we have a pretty poor safety record.  Are you a person with moderately fast reflexes?  Do you have a fair amount of time?  Can you maintain currency while building?

There are too many specifics to cover here, but I guess you have to ask yourself if you are the kind on person that can handle a rapidly changing situation?  

There was a great video out there of a doctor Steve from Canada, making his first flight in his Q-2.  He must have done 10 go-arounds (15?) before he was finally able to get it on the ground safely. I tried to find it for you, but struck out.  

Of course having said that, they are great to fly and have all sorts of capabilities.  Just be aware, this is not a Kitfox. You might want to spend a little time here:  https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/files/accident%20analyses

Sam

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 2:02 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Thanks Robert

Jim Patillo

I guess I’ll bite.

Hi Robert, tell us about your mechanical and pilot background and where you are located. That will help us understand what to say. 

Give me a call and I will be happy to explain the Quicky history and answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
Jim
Q200 -Q200
510-468-4891

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Schmid <robert@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 12:02:14 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Robert

Edited

Thanks Jim for "biting", and yes I'd love to talk. I sent a text message to the number in your signature but you can also reach me at 408-805-5450.

Robert
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

Love building planes almost as much as flying. Latest completed build is "Loki", a Chinook Plus 2 bush plane.

Awesome video Jay, how did you get the stats and map on there in post?
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

Jay Scheevel

The program that I use gets telemetry data from the GoPro camera and then computes the results to put in the gauges, so the speed is groundspeed, but it is close to actual IAS because of the conditions on the days when those videos were shot.

Cheers,

Jay

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Really so hard to land?

Awesome video Jay, how did you get the stats and map on there in post?
--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com

britmcman99

408 area code. You are practically neighbors. 

Phil Lankford

On Apr 14, 2022, at 3:56 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Jim for "biting", and yes I'd love to talk. I sent a text message to the number in your signature but you can also reach me at 408-805-5450.

Robert
(408) 805-5450

www.theflyingfriscos.com