Quickie/Q2/Dragonfly control arrangements Thread on Homebuiltaitplanes.com

Bill Higdon

Can I get someone more experienced to weigh in on this thread https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/quickie-q2-dragonfly-control-arrangements.35940/

David J. Gall

Nooooooo! No no no no no no nooooooo!

Those Keyboard warriors put more bullshit through my head in ten minutes of reading their collective ignorance than I’ve seen in FORTY YEARS of reading and studying about Q’s.

Don’t do it. Just — don’t go there.

On Apr 21, 2022, at 5:18 PM, Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561@...> wrote:

Can I get someone more experienced to weigh in on this thread https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/quickie-q2-dragonfly-control-arrangements.35940/

Bill Higdon

I'm hoping one of our High time pilots will step in & slap this puppy down

Sam Hoskins

No. We don't need to step in. That's why we have this email list. If someone wants to know something about these airplanes, this is definitely the place to come. But for myself, I don't need to throw a rock at somebody else's wasp nest.

Sam

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 9:05 PM Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bob Rinker <odysseyteachergmail@...>

Hello

Can someone please remove me from this list?

Thank you 

Bob Rinker 

On Apr 21, 2022, at 7:20 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

No. We don't need to step in. That's why we have this email list. If someone wants to know something about these airplanes, this is definitely the place to come. But for myself, I don't need to throw a rock at somebody else's wasp nest.

Sam

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 9:05 PM Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rick Hole

You can do this yourself.  At the bottom of this email click on the Unsubscribe link to do it.

Rick Hole

From: main@Q-List.groups.io [mailto:main@Q-List.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Rinker via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2022 8:56 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Quickie/Q2/Dragonfly control arrangements Thread on Homebuiltaitplanes.com

Hello

Thank you 

Bob Rinker 

Sam

Robert Cringely

Are you related to Bud Rinker, the Corsair redrive guy from 50 years ago?

Bob

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 7:55 PM Bob Rinker via groups.io <odysseyteachergmail=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello

Thank you 

Bob Rinker 

Sam

David J. Gall

What do you need help with, Bill? 

First you want us to go to another group and immerse ourselves in their imbroglio and now you want to slap down someone you think is somehow lesser than you? You might want to check your outrage at the door; as I alluded to earlier, we’ve been discussing Quickies here for forty years. 

We don’t do insurgencies on other people’s discussion websites and we don’t do disrespectful innuendo. If you have something to say to or about a person, say it. If you can’t say it directly then it didn’t need to be said — drop it. 

If you need a bunch of flight hours or certifications attached to a person’s name before you’ll grant them due qualification to weigh in here then you have the wrong outlook for this group. We don’t do appeals to authority. Some of the most noteworthy contributions here have come from some of the most “unqualified” people, by that measure, and some of the most useless crap has come from some really, really “high time” people (a particular 747 captain in the 1990s comes to mind).

Say what you need help with on your Quickie project, Bill, and we’re here to help you with it.

David J. Gall
ATP-ME
Comm/Inst ASMEL
Comm Glider
Tailwheel endorsement
EAA Ultralight Instructor
CFII-MEI
E-170/190
CE-525
UAS Pilot
ATCS (retired)
BSAE
SFTE
AOPA
EAA
NATCA

On Apr 21, 2022, at 7:05 PM, Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561@...> wrote:

Jim Patillo

Ditto. To each his own. Build however you want.
You are the ones that will eventually have your butt in the seat, confirming your “new design”. Once you’ve proven your changes, I’m sure you’ll have an audience here.  While not close to perfect, the Quickie is a fun to build and fly airplane. 

To those of you interested in building or finishing a Q, we are always here to help and give you  proven historical perspectives. 

We all need more Quickies in the air and not sitting in hangar's, wasting away. The reason the Q has survived is because of the guys who persisted in finishing and flying their dreams, without the support you all now enjoy. 

Best,
Jim
N46JP Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2022 7:19:55 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Quickie/Q2/Dragonfly control arrangements Thread on Homebuiltaitplanes.com

Sam

Jay Scheevel

I agree, Jim. 

I know for a fact that many of my half-baked ideas became “fully baked” and now work as intended because I had both the patience and perseverance to listen to criticism and to study what had been done in that past by folks on this group. I also had to harness enough of my own independence, governed by and instinct for self-preservation to finish my innovations, all without ruining the great flying characteristics of the original design…mission accomplished.

There are many folks like this that I have met through this group. I even know this one guy, let’s call him “Alan”, who modified his Q so much that he made it into a tandem cockpit pusher with a big swept wing in back, and winglets with a little tiny canard in front….imagine that…it still flies nicely.

I love flying my plane now and love seeing that everyone who built and flies theirs regularly. Each one put a little bit of their own signature on their bird. The similarities and differences sure make our fly-ins much more fun, and we all enjoy hanging around with a crowd of creative people like that.

Now if we could only get Jim Patillo to make one more trip over the “hills” to Terre Haute Indiana or Decorah Iowa, that would be worth it!

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Patillo
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2022 9:27 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io

You are the ones that will eventually have your butt in the seat, confirming your “new design”. Once you’ve proven your changes, I’m sure you’ll have an audience here.  While not close to perfect, the Quickie is a fun to build and fly airplane. 

To those of you interested in building or finishing a Q, we are always here to help and give you  proven historical perspectives. 

We all need more Quickies in the air and not sitting in hangar's, wasting away. The reason the Q has survived is because of the guys who persisted in finishing and flying their dreams, without the support you all now enjoy. 

Best,

Jim

N46JP Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...>

Sam

ryan goodman

You guys want to talk about auto conversions now?

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 9:58, Jay Scheevel
<jay@...> wrote:

I agree, Jim. 

I know for a fact that many of my half-baked ideas became “fully baked” and now work as intended because I had both the patience and perseverance to listen to criticism and to study what had been done in that past by folks on this group. I also had to harness enough of my own independence, governed by and instinct for self-preservation to finish my innovations, all without ruining the great flying characteristics of the original design…mission accomplished.

There are many folks like this that I have met through this group. I even know this one guy, let’s call him “Alan”, who modified his Q so much that he made it into a tandem cockpit pusher with a big swept wing in back, and winglets with a little tiny canard in front….imagine that…it still flies nicely.

I love flying my plane now and love seeing that everyone who built and flies theirs regularly. Each one put a little bit of their own signature on their bird. The similarities and differences sure make our fly-ins much more fun, and we all enjoy hanging around with a crowd of creative people like that.

Now if we could only get Jim Patillo to make one more trip over the “hills” to Terre Haute Indiana or Decorah Iowa, that would be worth it!

Cheers,

Jay

Best,

Jim

N46JP Q200

Sam

Bill Higdon

David,
I'm concerned one person in the conversation has misunderstanding of what the reflexors do & how they're used. This comes in part from my involvement in the Dragonfly

David J. Gall

Bill,

That’s unfortunate. I’m betting that person has impeccable credentials, too. There will always be those few and their ardent followers. 

Hard as one might try, one cannot force right-thinking. I noticed that Marc Zeitlin had weighed in — I’d let him carry the burden from there. If he doesn’t take up that challenge then it’s best left where it lays.

JMHO,

David J. Gall

On Apr 22, 2022, at 12:15 PM, Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561@...> wrote:

David,
I'm concerned one person in the conversation has misunderstanding of what the reflexors do & how they're used. This comes in part from my involvement in the Dragonfly

Bill Higdon

David,

Thank you,when I posted my request here I was hoping to get someone who has a lot of flight time in a Q craft to step in on the use of the relexor, as you mentioned Marc Z tried to point out the realities.

Bill

Jay Scheevel

Bill,

You will find that everyone uses the reflexor uniquely. Most adjust it once or twice in flight, usually with one setup for takeoff and one for landing. I use mine a slightly more as a trim device but also have a takeoff setting that gets adjusted more nose down soon after takeoff. At least one other Q-driver I am aware of has a continuously adjustable electric motor driven reflexor and uses it for all trim purposes by a stick mounted trim switch.

So, you will not find consensus on the use of the reflexor, if that is what you were looking for.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Higdon via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2022 3:10 PM

David,

Thank you,when I posted my request here I was hoping to get someone who has a lot of flight time in a Q craft to step in on the use of the relexor, as you mentioned Marc Z tried to point out the realities.

Bill

Jim Patillo

Bill , I may qualify. 

I use the reflexor (full up) on landing to help slow the plane and keep the tail wheel glued on landing. 
I also use the reflexor in flight, to adjust the W/B as the fuel is burned from the 6gal. aux tank, behind the passenger seat.  If the aux is empty,
main and header full,  reflexor will be neutral, elevators and ailerons in trail, regardless of one or two people. The plane flys hands off with two people on board, straight and level no trim. 
Hope that helps. 

Jim
N46JP-Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2022 2:31:14 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>

Bill,

You will find that everyone uses the reflexor uniquely. Most adjust it once or twice in flight, usually with one setup for takeoff and one for landing. I use mine a slightly more as a trim device but also have a takeoff setting that gets adjusted more nose down soon after takeoff. At least one other Q-driver I am aware of has a continuously adjustable electric motor driven reflexor and uses it for all trim purposes by a stick mounted trim switch.

So, you will not find consensus on the use of the reflexor, if that is what you were looking for.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Higdon via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2022 3:10 PM

David,

Bill

britmcman99

image0.jpeg

Phil Lankford

On Apr 22, 2022, at 9:03 AM, ryan goodman via groups.io <elboy0712@...> wrote:

You guys want to talk about auto conversions now?

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 9:58, Jay Scheevel
<jay@...> wrote:

I agree, Jim. 

Cheers,

Jay

Best,

Jim

N46JP Q200

Sam

Bill Higdon

Good data point for your Q-bird, what canard do you have?

Jim Patillo

LS1

Jim
N46JP Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561@...>
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2022 7:58:12 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>

Good data point for your Q-bird, what canard do you have?

Bill Higdon

Jim,
Thank you, does the other canard airfoil respond similarly? And I will apologize to the other person on the HBA thread.