Flight Report

Jay Scheevel

Took a nice flight this morning. Nothing in particular was my objective, but we have had showers here the last couple days, so the air was very clear, and it was cool and smooth this morning. The scenery was fine and the landing was good. Here is a short video of the some of the scenery west of my home airport.

https://youtu.be/gGsQfECwISg

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q2 N8WQ 210 hours

Chris Walterson

jay--------------  Good video. I get excited when I see it , then I look outside at two feet of snow.  Patience , patience.

Take care------------  Chris

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Anthony P

Another nice video Jay.  Thanks.

Chris, you needs skis.  I'm sure someone on your field has a set.  
A couple of the planes that I have trained in swap between skis and floats twice a year. Seems like the right setup for your neighborhood.

--
Q2 N86KL

Kevin Boddicker

Nice Jay.
Thanks!!

On Apr 24, 2022, at 2:31 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Took a nice flight this morning. Nothing in particular was my objective, but we have had showers here the last couple days, so the air was very clear, and it was cool and smooth this morning. The scenery was fine and the landing was good. Here is a short video of the some of the scenery west of my home airport. 

Cheers,

Chris Walterson

Tony----------   I had a kitfox on skis and floats, but once you have sat and flown a Q it's hard to go back to 80 MPH.

It appears Jay is pretty inventive,  maybe floats on a Q..                    Chris

--

Jay Scheevel

That water is pretty hard at 80 mph, Chris. I think I will pass. 😉

Cheers,

Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Walterson
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 4:13 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Flight Report

Tony----------   I had a kitfox on skis and floats, but once you have sat and flown a Q it's hard to go back to 80 MPH.

It appears Jay is pretty inventive,  maybe floats on a Q..                    Chris

--

Anthony P

For those fearing yaw control upon touchdown in the snow.

--
Q2 N86KL

Jerry Marstall

Looks beautiful, but very lonely.J

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 3:31 PM
Subject: [Q-List] Flight Report

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel

Need some visitors, Jerry 😉

On Apr 24, 2022, at 5:40 PM, Jerry Marstall <jerrylm1986@...> wrote:

Looks beautiful, but very lonely.J

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2022 3:31 PM

Cheers,

Very beautiful video Jay, can't wait to show it to others.
Thanks

On another note, I took my biennial the other day, yup...now I'm legal again...yippee! and was asked to do a maneuver quite foreign to me....a Dutch Roll.
Never had that asked before in all the biennials I've done over the years.  After having it demonstrated I found it very interesting and was absolutely no good at it. 
Will practice.  What intrigued me most was the coordination education of doing Dutch rolls.  What a learning tool.  I'm sure most of you professional pilots like
perhaps Patillo are very familiar with em but was new to me.  Is that a maneuver most of you have done?

Not wanting to brag on my CFI but he deserves mentioning.  He is a 20 year old who recently got certified right seat on Doc....yep the B-29 Doc. 
He is starting a job later this week in Wichita flying Beech jets and after acquiring 1500 hrs of jet time will move on to a career flying fire tankers most notably the DC10.
Something he told me he's wanted to do since he was 6 years old.  Great kid, humble and very talented.  Glad I got to fly once with him.

And lastly...we are 8 days away, May 3rd, from the deadline to be guaranteed a room for Spring Fling 22.
A big Thank You to those who already have.  Looking forward to a good wx weekend and seeing all of you.

Keith

---------- Original Message ----------
To: <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 13:31:23 -0600

Cheers,

Richard Thomson

Great Video Jay,

I love it when there are puffy clouds around to dogfight ! :-)

Br

Rich T.

On 24/04/2022 20:31, Jay Scheevel wrote:

Cheers,

Jay Scheevel

Hi Keith,

I always used dutch rolls to “shake out” my piloting skills on a new-to-me airplane. I can see why the instructor asked you to do that, as it shows him how quickly you can pick up the scent and get coordinated.

On a related note, I have found that coordinated dutch rolls on the Q2 is probably one of the most difficult things for me. I think it is because the tail section of my plane is only 37 pounds, the lateral cross section of that tail is very small because of the fuselage taper. The result is along with the mass of the airplane being so concentrated, the rudder becomes very effective and sensitive, plus the ailerons are quite a ways back from the CG, so in a way, they act almost opposite to the yaw effect of a standard aircraft ailerons. Whatever the cause, dutch rolls become the best challenge I can give myself when I get leveled out and need a refresher. I would be curious to hear what other Q drivers think, including what you experience in your Q1.

I have made my reservation for Terre Haute…focusing on controlling the weather now.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Welsh
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2022 8:08 AM

Thanks

On another note, I took my biennial the other day, yup...now I'm legal again...yippee! and was asked to do a maneuver quite foreign to me....a Dutch Roll.

Never had that asked before in all the biennials I've done over the years.  After having it demonstrated I found it very interesting and was absolutely no good at it. 

Will practice.  What intrigued me most was the coordination education of doing Dutch rolls.  What a learning tool.  I'm sure most of you professional pilots like

perhaps Patillo are very familiar with em but was new to me.  Is that a maneuver most of you have done?

Not wanting to brag on my CFI but he deserves mentioning.  He is a 20 year old who recently got certified right seat on Doc....yep the B-29 Doc. 

He is starting a job later this week in Wichita flying Beech jets and after acquiring 1500 hrs of jet time will move on to a career flying fire tankers most notably the DC10.

Something he told me he's wanted to do since he was 6 years old.  Great kid, humble and very talented.  Glad I got to fly once with him.

And lastly...we are 8 days away, May 3rd, from the deadline to be guaranteed a room for Spring Fling 22.

A big Thank You to those who already have.  Looking forward to a good wx weekend and seeing all of you.

Keith

Cheers,

Fredd Baber

Keith,

My primary instructor’s nickname was Dutch…and he loved to roll!!  🤣

On Apr 25, 2022, at 11:08 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Keith,

I always used dutch rolls to “shake out” my piloting skills on a new-to-me airplane. I can see why the instructor asked you to do that, as it shows him how quickly you can pick up the scent and get coordinated.

On a related note, I have found that coordinated dutch rolls on the Q2 is probably one of the most difficult things for me. I think it is because the tail section of my plane is only 37 pounds, the lateral cross section of that tail is very small because of the fuselage taper. The result is along with the mass of the airplane being so concentrated, the rudder becomes very effective and sensitive, plus the ailerons are quite a ways back from the CG, so in a way, they act almost opposite to the yaw effect of a standard aircraft ailerons. Whatever the cause, dutch rolls become the best challenge I can give myself when I get leveled out and need a refresher. I would be curious to hear what other Q drivers think, including what you experience in your Q1.

I have made my reservation for Terre Haute…focusing on controlling the weather now.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Keith

Cheers,

Terry Crouch

Hi Keith,

Dutch rolls, aka rolls on a point, I learned as a student pilot. It was a struggle for me to get good at crosswind landings. I don't think I had a great understanding of side slips, forward slips, and slipping turns until I started flying tailwheel airplanes with no flaps.
 I am in agreement with Jay. My Quickie has almost no adverse yaw with aileron input. Dutch rolls in my quickie require VERY tiny rudder input. 

Terry Crouch
Quickie N14TC

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Apr 25, 2022 9:07 am

Thanks

Keith

Cheers,

Hope he didn't get ya dizzy.  I'd have probably ralphed.
Is that how he got that name?

To: main@q-list.groups.io
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:22:15 -0400

Keith,

My primary instructor’s nickname was Dutch…and he loved to roll!!  🤣

On Apr 25, 2022, at 11:08 AM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Hi Keith,

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks

Keith

Cheers,