Lowest Point in Main Tank?

Am I wrong to assume that this (see red arrow on picture) is the lowest point in the main tank? Can I tap into that spot for a fitting to go-to the fuel pump?

Why you may ask? Because the current out pipe in the elevators control well is only 1/4 and I need 5/16 minimum, better 3/8.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Sam Kittle

Robert,

The 1/4” line from the main fuel tank feeds your pump to the header tank.  You need a 3/8” line from the header to the engine because of gravity feed.  You may want to accomplish a flow test with the 1/4” line going through the pump before making a change.
Sam Kittle

On Jul 22, 2022, at 2:51 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Am I wrong to assume that this (see red arrow on picture) is the lowest point in the main tank? Can I tap into that spot for a fitting to go-to the fuel pump?

536035499.1658526558158.jpeg

Why you may ask? Because the current out pipe in the elevators control well is only 1/4 and I need 5/16 minimum, better 3/8.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Robert I floxed in an AN fitting out of the header and installed 3/8 braided stainless thru the filters to the carb.
Jim
N46JP - Q200

PS I was in Lahaina when the big waves crashed into the wedding party. Earlier, I was wondering why all the locals were looking out to sea for a couple hours prior. Now I know.

The 1/4” line from the main fuel tank feeds your pump to the header tank.  You need a 3/8” line from the header to the engine because of gravity feed.  You may want to accomplish a flow test with the 1/4” line going through the pump before making a change.
Sam Kittle

On Jul 22, 2022, at 2:51 PM, Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:

Am I wrong to assume that this (see red arrow on picture) is the lowest point in the main tank? Can I tap into that spot for a fitting to go-to the fuel pump?

536035499.1658526558158.jpeg

Why you may ask? Because the current out pipe in the elevators control well is only 1/4 and I need 5/16 minimum, better 3/8.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Dave Dugas

Robert
I have 1/4" fuel lines for my Revmaster which satisfies the fuel requirements. The original plans Facet pump supplies the header tank with enough fuel to satisfy the 3/8" fuel requirement for a larger engine. Calculate the gallons / hour of your current setup to the header tank to see if it will keep up with the fuel burn of your engine, then you will only need to change the fuel line from the header tank to the engine.
Dave D

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 7:40 PM, Jim Patillo
<Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:
[...]

I agree with Sam and Dave. Facet pump will get enough fuel to the header to keep up ( but test this), then use your 3/8 lines from header on downstream to reduce pressure drops. This is sound philosophy and avoids re doing that main tank pickup. If you look at the plans you will see that the existing 1/4 line should have a dome of screen over the pickup end inside the tank. This screens out large debris and prevents a clog in the line. You won’t have this dome if you tap directly into the tank with a new hole. The header also has one of the dome screens (if built according to plans). Probably not as necessary for the header, but nice to have if you can preserve it.

On Jul 22, 2022, at 8:02 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

[...]

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

I was going to mention the dome screen as well.  Richard, that is the low point while on the ground but in flight the fuel will spread out forward more which means the low point covers more area.  The “per plans” screen is more forward than the low point you identified is closer to 3/4 up the tank. This is why there is ~1gallon unusable fuel amount.

Corbin

On Jul 22, 2022, at 8:49 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

[...]

N121CG

Dave Dugas

Robert
The lowest point of my main tank is FS 48.5. It the location of my pickup tube while in level flight.
Dave D

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 9:53 PM, Corbin via groups.io
<c_geiser@...> wrote:
[...]

britmcman99

So, the main tank should probably have a “low spot” and that may be a good place to put a drain valve for excretion of contaminants and potentially water.  Wouldn’t it be better to place the faucet pump pick-up just a little north of that to help insure only fuel finds it’s way to the header tank?  Okay, there is a small margin of unusable fuel in the system?the header tank is filled and replenished from the main tank and in the event of a very low fuel scenario there is likely no water transferred to the header. If the faucet pump fails you have the benefit of only fuel in the header and assurance that you have a number of minutes of flight time to land safely ( providing your system allows for continuous faucet pump operation. My thoughts.

Phil Lankford

On Jul 22, 2022, at 4:40 PM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Phil,

I agree with what you said, howdy BTW.

I've run my facet pumps continuously for 23 years. Replaced it once about 4 years ago. Just because. It didn't quit or slow down, I just felt it was time. I've got gauges in both tanks as well as a low-level sensor/red led light on the panel. I don't have a site gauge or hand pump.

My thinking is, I fly my plane a lot and fill it up a lot. I fill the main and the header at the same time and can see the fuel levels in both tanks visually.
I monitor the header for consistent filling and signs the tank is not filling fast enough.

If the pump quits, I've got about 30 minutes give or take to find an airport. As you know, you can  cover a lot of ground in 30 minutes in a Quickie.

I also monitor/change fuel filters regularly.

Best to you and your bride. Hope all is well.
Jim