Aileron, elevator removal

Sandaircraft

Robert being you just went through this how did you remove the ailerons and elevators, i know you cut the tubes. Did you use sawzaw? Any tips or tricks on getting them of and then on removing the tubes after they are cut?

For us, it was the aileron tubes that were badly, like really badly, corroded inside them. Elevator we were just able to take off with some lube and love ... sorry couldn't help myself here :-)

And for the ailerons, our process was ...
  • Removing all the bolts and fittings inside the fuselage
  • Cutting with sawzaw the tube/spacer at the inboard end of the aileron
  • Tapping lightly to take out aileron
  • Using a reamer to cut out corroded tube
  • Sanding for perfect fit of new tube
We did happen to cause a little bit of damage on the skins but nothing a little micron couldn't fix. Also the spacer needed replacing.

Hope this helps, feel free to call me if you want me to show you where exactly we cut and how the corroded parts that came out looked. And yes it is not a fun project to put the sawzaw to the plane, scared the crap out of me but had a good friend with me, together helped :-)

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Here are some photos how the parts came out, the cut off piece and the piece we reamed out inside the aileron