Topics

Autopilot

Dave Dugas

Hi there.
I've been flying a bit since I installed the Uavionix package in my Q2, which is working perfectly since it was installed. No adjustments or settings necessary. I'm using Avare as my nav and ads-b system, and traffic and weather is great.
The cherry on top would be if I could get my tablet to send data to my TruTrak autopilot through Bluetooth, so I can let the autopilot navigate the course on my Avare. I'm using a HC-06 Bluetooth serial adapter which is programed and linked to my TruTrak, however no data is transmitted to the autopilot. If anyone else is successful with this setup, or knows a source of information about it, it would be helpful. It just may be as simple as a com port setting, or a setting in the Avare app, but with my luck it may be impossible altogether. I know it sounds like I'm spoiled...... I am. Thank you 😊
Dave D

Paul Fisher

Hey Dave!  I have not done what you want, but I did see something on the Avare forums about it:

I don't know if that helps or not, but it sounds like it is possible.

Paul

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 12:10 Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. I saw that one but I didn't get much usable info from it. I'll be digging deeper into it though. Thank you.
Dave

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 1:37 PM, Paul Fisher
<rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil Lankford

I have a TruTrak Vizion385 in my RV6A. I set it up to accept two separate GPS sources (wired) through a selector switch. Source 1 is a line from my Garmin 250XL. Source 2 is iLevil AW3 and is also a wired connection. My iPad apps (FlyQ EFB or Xavion) should be able to push a route to the iLevil via WiFi that will then direct the autopilot through the hard wired connection. I will be doing more inflight testing but ground test shows GPS OK to the autopilot.

Phil

<rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Phil. My data wire to the autopilot is connected to the TX pin on the HC-06 Bluetooth module and it connects to the Avare app fine.but no GPS data is received by the autopilot. This setup worked when I was using my old ipaq with Anywhere Map. I'm trying to keep it wireless. The TruTrak Pictorial Pilot will track a heading without a GPS source, but I still have to adjust the heading for wind correction. Your system sounds great. I'm going to keep trying for the wireless though. Thank you again.... Dave D

<rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:
[...]

Adam Radloff

Dave, did you ever get this figured out? I tried it using a HC-05 but no luck also. I just want output Nmea date from Avare to my AV-30's.
Let me know,
Thanks

Mike Dwyer

The HC-05 is not the right device.  A BC04 is, but there are very few of them on eBay these days.  This thing takes the bluetooth output from AVARE and converts it to a serial output that other devices use.  I messed with one for a while and had it working in my application.
Others have made this thing work!

Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:42 AM Adam Radloff <aeradloff@...> wrote:
Dave, did you ever get this figured out? I tried it using a HC-05 but no luck also. I just want output Nmea date from Avare to my AV-30's.
Let me know,
Thanks

Adam Radloff

Thanks for responding Mike.
I just ordered one to try, it looks like has the same "daughter" board as the HC-05 for the Bluetooth link. I'll update if it will talk to the AV-30'S.
Adam

Dave Dugas

My TruTrak autopilot required serial data input not TTL data, so I had to find a TTL to serial data converter. It's an older autopilot, so I'm not sure if all are the same. I got it working on mine and on a Trip autopilot using Avare.
Dave D

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 8:33 PM, Adam Radloff
<aeradloff@...> wrote:
Thanks for responding Mike.
I just ordered one to try, it looks like has the same "daughter" board as the HC-05 for the Bluetooth link. I'll update if it will talk to the AV-30'S.
Adam

Dave Dugas

I meant Trio autopilot

<aeradloff@...> wrote:
Thanks for responding Mike.
I just ordered one to try, it looks like has the same "daughter" board as the HC-05 for the Bluetooth link. I'll update if it will talk to the AV-30'S.
Adam

ryan goodman

Hey Dave. I have not done this but I am a cyber engineer with a system of systems engineering background. I'm not sure where you're located but I would be happy to help you figure this out. PM me and let's see if we can solve the issue and then share with the group.
       Ryan

<aeradloff@...> wrote:
Thanks for responding Mike.
I just ordered one to try, it looks like has the same "daughter" board as the HC-05 for the Bluetooth link. I'll update if it will talk to the AV-30'S.
Adam

Dave Dugas

Ryan
I ended up using this, rewiring it to my application. I learned quite a lot during the experience, trying different modules, breakout boards, power supplies, etc. This works with my Avare and TruTrak setup, so when I have a flight plan entered on my Samsung Galaxy tablet and select navigate on my autopilot it tracks the course. Works perfectly.
Dave D