Topics

Autopilot

Dave Dugas

Hi there.
I've been flying a bit since I installed the Uavionix package in my Q2, which is working perfectly since it was installed. No adjustments or settings necessary. I'm using Avare as my nav and ads-b system, and traffic and weather is great. 
The cherry on top would be if I could get my tablet to send data to my TruTrak autopilot through Bluetooth, so I can let the autopilot navigate the course on my Avare. I'm using a HC-06 Bluetooth serial adapter which is programed and linked to my TruTrak, however no data is transmitted to the autopilot. If anyone else is successful with this setup, or knows a source of information about it, it would be helpful. It just may be as simple as a com port setting, or a setting in the Avare app, but with my luck it may be impossible altogether. I know it sounds like I'm spoiled...... I am. Thank you 😊
Dave D

Paul Fisher

Hey Dave!  I have not done what you want, but I did see something on the Avare forums about it:

I don't know if that helps or not, but it sounds like it is possible.

Paul

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 12:10 Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi there.
I've been flying a bit since I installed the Uavionix package in my Q2, which is working perfectly since it was installed. No adjustments or settings necessary. I'm using Avare as my nav and ads-b system, and traffic and weather is great. 
The cherry on top would be if I could get my tablet to send data to my TruTrak autopilot through Bluetooth, so I can let the autopilot navigate the course on my Avare. I'm using a HC-06 Bluetooth serial adapter which is programed and linked to my TruTrak, however no data is transmitted to the autopilot. If anyone else is successful with this setup, or knows a source of information about it, it would be helpful. It just may be as simple as a com port setting, or a setting in the Avare app, but with my luck it may be impossible altogether. I know it sounds like I'm spoiled...... I am. Thank you 😊
Dave D

Dave Dugas

Thanks Paul. I saw that one but I didn't get much usable info from it. I'll be digging deeper into it though. Thank you.
Dave

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 1:37 PM, Paul Fisher
<rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:
Hey Dave!  I have not done what you want, but I did see something on the Avare forums about it:

Paul

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 12:10 Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi there.
Dave D

Phil Lankford

I have a TruTrak Vizion385 in my RV6A. I set it up to accept two separate GPS sources (wired) through a selector switch. Source 1 is a line from my Garmin 250XL. Source 2 is iLevil AW3 and is also a wired connection. My iPad apps (FlyQ EFB or Xavion) should be able to push a route to the iLevil via WiFi that will then direct the autopilot through the hard wired connection. I will be doing more inflight testing but ground test shows GPS OK to the autopilot. 

Phil

On May 15, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Thanks Paul. I saw that one but I didn't get much usable info from it. I'll be digging deeper into it though. Thank you.
Dave

<rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Paul

Hi there.
Dave D

Dave Dugas

Thanks Phil. My data wire to the autopilot is connected to the TX pin on the HC-06 Bluetooth module and it connects to the Avare app fine.but no GPS data is received by the autopilot. This setup worked when I was using my old ipaq with Anywhere Map. I'm trying to keep it wireless. The TruTrak Pictorial Pilot will track a heading without a GPS source, but I still have to adjust the heading for wind correction. Your system sounds great. I'm going to keep trying for the wireless though. Thank you again.... Dave D

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 1:24 AM, Phil Lankford via groups.io
<britmcman@...> wrote:
I have a TruTrak Vizion385 in my RV6A. I set it up to accept two separate GPS sources (wired) through a selector switch. Source 1 is a line from my Garmin 250XL. Source 2 is iLevil AW3 and is also a wired connection. My iPad apps (FlyQ EFB or Xavion) should be able to push a route to the iLevil via WiFi that will then direct the autopilot through the hard wired connection. I will be doing more inflight testing but ground test shows GPS OK to the autopilot. 

Phil

On May 15, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io <davedq2@...> wrote:

Dave

<rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Paul

Hi there.
Dave D

Adam Radloff

Dave, did you ever get this figured out? I tried it using a HC-05 but no luck also. I just want output Nmea date from Avare to my AV-30's.
Let me know, 
Thanks

Mike Dwyer

The HC-05 is not the right device.  A BC04 is, but there are very few of them on eBay these days.  This thing takes the bluetooth output from AVARE and converts it to a serial output that other devices use.  I messed with one for a while and had it working in my application.
Others have made this thing work!

Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:42 AM Adam Radloff <aeradloff@...> wrote:
Dave, did you ever get this figured out? I tried it using a HC-05 but no luck also. I just want output Nmea date from Avare to my AV-30's.
Let me know, 
Thanks

Adam Radloff

Thanks for responding Mike.
I just ordered one to try, it looks like has the same "daughter" board as the HC-05 for the Bluetooth link. I'll update if it will talk to the AV-30'S.
Adam

Dave Dugas

My TruTrak autopilot required serial data input not TTL data, so I had to find a TTL to serial data converter. It's an older autopilot, so I'm not sure if all are the same. I got it working on mine and on a Trip autopilot using Avare.
Dave D

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 8:33 PM, Adam Radloff
<aeradloff@...> wrote:
I just ordered one to try, it looks like has the same "daughter" board as the HC-05 for the Bluetooth link. I'll update if it will talk to the AV-30'S.
Adam

Dave Dugas

I meant Trio autopilot

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:10 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io
<davedq2@...> wrote:
My TruTrak autopilot required serial data input not TTL data, so I had to find a TTL to serial data converter. It's an older autopilot, so I'm not sure if all are the same. I got it working on mine and on a Trip autopilot using Avare.
Dave D

<aeradloff@...> wrote:
Adam

ryan goodman

Hey Dave. I have not done this but I am a cyber engineer with a system of systems engineering background. I'm not sure where you're located but I would be happy to help you figure this out. PM me and let's see if we can solve the issue and then share with the group.
       Ryan

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io
<davedq2@...> wrote:
I meant Trio autopilot

<davedq2@...> wrote:
Dave D

<aeradloff@...> wrote:
Adam

Dave Dugas

Ryan
I ended up using this, rewiring it to my application. I learned quite a lot during the experience, trying different modules, breakout boards, power supplies, etc. This works with my Avare and TruTrak setup, so when I have a flight plan entered on my Samsung Galaxy tablet and select navigate on my autopilot it tracks the course. Works perfectly.
Dave D

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:19 PM, ryan goodman via groups.io
<elboy0712@...> wrote:
Hey Dave. I have not done this but I am a cyber engineer with a system of systems engineering background. I'm not sure where you're located but I would be happy to help you figure this out. PM me and let's see if we can solve the issue and then share with the group.
       Ryan

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM, Dave Dugas via groups.io
<davedq2@...> wrote:
I meant Trio autopilot

<davedq2@...> wrote:
Dave D

<aeradloff@...> wrote:
Adam