AV30 Install

Good morning,

I finally removed the vacuum system from my plane and installed two AV30’s with Wifi Link and OAT probe. See pictures below.

I wanted to maintain the Legacy look,  yet have AHRS/EFIS capability with Wifi interface.
Uavonix does that.

I flew with the new instruments a couple days ago, tweaking parameters for AOA and G Load graphics.

Next I will do the Magnometer calibration. The new units weigh a couple ounces each.

Jim
N46JP Q00

Jerry Marstall

Very nice.  Less wt = more speed.
Jerry m

On Sat, May 14, 2022, 11:20 AM Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Good morning,

I finally removed the vacuum system from my plane and installed two AV30’s with Wifi Link and OAT probe. See pictures below.

I wanted to maintain the Legacy look,  yet have AHRS/EFIS capability with Wifi interface.
Uavonix does that.

I flew with the new instruments a couple days ago, tweaking parameters for AOA and G Load graphics.

Next I will do the Magnometer calibration. The new units weigh a couple ounces each.

Jim
N46JP Q00

Kevin Boddicker

Jim,
What size wire did you use for the install?

Will I see you in September? No song lyrics intended.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B  580  hrs
Luana, IA.

On May 14, 2022, at 10:20 AM, Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

<5971B8A9-41F2-4E52-8A44-66A8E38DCDA0.jpeg>A

Good morning,

I finally removed the vacuum system from my plane and installed two AV30’s with Wifi Link and OAT probe. See pictures below.

I wanted to maintain the Legacy look,  yet have AHRS/EFIS capability with Wifi interface.
Uavonix does that.

I flew with the new instruments a couple days ago, tweaking parameters for AOA and G Load graphics.

Next I will do the Magnometer calibration. The new units weigh a couple ounces each.

Jim
N<1900DF0B-1661-478A-AC26-B511A5D04517.jpeg><729FCC5F-B35D-4669-9AC6-232AE24C9003.jpeg><ED94AD16-5F91-45FF-A72E-02A015BF14C4.jpeg>46JP Q00

<C2BAAE40-F7BD-4184-A5F0-AE5FF9631A25.jpeg><845DF07F-94CB-43F4-9CB0-6C582F31DC4B.jpeg>

Rick Hole

Just a reminder, wire size for both power and ground is determined by the breaker or fuse protecting that circuit, not by the expected load

In the event of a short circuit the wire must conduct high current until the breaker or fuse interrupts the circuit without overheating.

For an extreme example, consider if the load were a 10 mA LED pilot light connected to a 10 amp breaker circuit.  A short at the LED would result in (more than) 10 amps flowing through the wire.   While it is tempting to think we could use perhaps a 24 or 26 gauge wire, plenty good for 10 mA, that wire would glow red hot before evaporating with the possibility of causing other nearby wires’ insulation to melt and a cascade failure result.  Or an in-flight fire.  Hence the wire must hold up for the trip current long enough for the breaker/fuse to blow.

Rick Hole

What size wire did you use for the install?

Will I see you in September? No song lyrics intended.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B  580  hrs
Luana, IA.

Nice job Jim!!!!

Mike

[...]

britmcman99

Sorry to hear about that, Jim. Your gonna have to wear steel toed shoes to stay in weight and balance now.

Phil Lankford

On May 14, 2022, at 9:11 AM, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Patillo

Hi Kevin, 22ga.
[...]

22ga. Shielded Kevin.

Jim

Rick Hole

To put my previous comment in perspective I looked up in FAA Advisory Circular 43.13-1b the table 11-3 on page 11-15.

For the circuit in question, take the breaker or fuse value and read the wire gauge in the left column.  Too small a wire (higher gauge number than listed) is a fire hazard.  Too large is safe but carries other penalties.  For a 22g wire, the breaker should be no larger than 5 amps.

This is a common error in homebuilt aircraft.

Rick Hole

What size wire did you use for the install?

Will I see you in September? No song lyrics intended.

Kevin Boddicker
TriQ 200 N7868B  580  hrs
Luana, IA.

Paul Fisher

Very nice Jim.  I'd like to do the same thing, but a significant portion of my 401k seems to have disappeared in the past few weeks.
 I think I'll wait a while!

But your's looks great.

Paul

On Sat, May 14, 2022, 10:20 Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Good morning,

I finally removed the vacuum system from my plane and installed two AV30’s with Wifi Link and OAT probe. See pictures below.

I wanted to maintain the Legacy look,  yet have AHRS/EFIS capability with Wifi interface.
Uavonix does that.

I flew with the new instruments a couple days ago, tweaking parameters for AOA and G Load graphics.

Next I will do the Magnometer calibration. The new units weigh a couple ounces each.

Jim
N46JP Q00

Jim Patillo

Kevin and Rick,

Per Uavonix install manual, I used 22ga shielded wire with individual  2 amp. breakers. Each instrument draws .5-1.0 amps.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Bruce Crain

Looks fantastic Jim!  Avionics is a great company!  I have their ADSB-in and out in my RV6.
Bruce

On May 14, 2022, at 6:47 PM, Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Kevin and Rick,

Per Uavonix install manual, I used 22ga shielded wire with individual  2 amp. breakers. Each instrument draws .5-1.0 amps.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Rick Hole

Well done.  My caution was intended for new builders for whom undersized wires is an easy mistake to make.

Sonia (1953-2020) & Rick

On Sat, May 14, 2022, 5:47 PM Jim Patillo <Logistics_engineering@...> wrote:

Kevin and Rick,

Per Uavonix install manual, I used 22ga shielded wire with individual  2 amp. breakers. Each instrument draws .5-1.0 amps.

Jim
N46JP Q200

Corbin <c_geiser@...>

VERY nice, Jim!  That looks great and I kind like the original look being maintained.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Richard Thomson

Looking good Jim,  If you have removed your vac system, you can save another few ounces by taking your Vac gauge out and fitting a grommet. :-)

Rich T.

On 14/05/2022 16:20, Jim Patillo wrote:

Good morning,

I finally removed the vacuum system from my plane and installed two AV30’s with Wifi Link and OAT probe. See pictures below.

I wanted to maintain the Legacy look,  yet have AHRS/EFIS capability with Wifi interface.
Uavonix does that.

I flew with the new instruments a couple days ago, tweaking parameters for AOA and G Load graphics.

Next I will do the Magnometer calibration. The new units weigh a couple ounces each.

Jim
N46JP Q00

Frankenbird Vern

 Wow Jim..that looks impressive. Your panel looks exactly like I had in mind with the exception I'll only be using one AV30.

 I also plan to add the OAT and ADSB out beacon. We even share the same transponder!

Vern

Looking good Jim,  If you have removed your vac system, you can save another few ounces by taking your Vac gauge out and fitting a grommet. :-)

Rich T.

On 14/05/2022 16:20, Jim Patillo wrote:

Good morning,

I finally removed the vacuum system from my plane and installed two AV30’s with Wifi Link and OAT probe. See pictures below.

I wanted to maintain the Legacy look,  yet have AHRS/EFIS capability with Wifi interface.
Uavonix does that.

I flew with the new instruments a couple days ago, tweaking parameters for AOA and G Load graphics.

Next I will do the Magnometer calibration. The new units weigh a couple ounces each.

Jim
N46JP Q00

Fredd Baber

This is what I’d eventually like to do.  Nice work!!

Fredd B

On May 16, 2022, at 7:10 AM, Frankenbird Vern <smeshno1@...> wrote:

[...]

Jon Finley

Very nice Jim - well done!!

You can now turn that suction gauge into a fun-to-suck ratio gauge.  Looks like it's currently pegged on FUN!!

Jon Finley
Flying an RV-4 - Truth or Consequences, NM
Flying Videos - YouTube

Jim Patillo

Thanks for all the nice comments re: the AV30 install. Yes Jon, it’s pegged on the fun meter. 😊.
I’m now looking for a black plastic plug to fill that fun meter hole.

Jim
N46JP

You can now turn that suction gauge into a fun-to-suck ratio gauge.  Looks like it's currently pegged on FUN!!

Jon Finley
Flying an RV-4 - Truth or Consequences, NM
Flying Videos - YouTube

Jay Scheevel

That would be a great place for a little touch-screen timer/clock, Jim. Panel looks very nice. I am partial to the 3 ¼” round instruments.