Axle Removal Problems

Corbin

Edited

Typos corrected: I’ve always had a bit of a headache removing the axle when needing to remove the tire. In one of the pics below, the darker steel rod is what I use to slide in and tap out the axle (which is the other pic). The axle will easily pull out from the position in the pic. However, the rod I use to tap out the axle is stuck and won’t move back out or further in.

I have the plane raised so there is no weight on the tire. I have tried tapping the axle back in to push back out the rod. I’ve reached the point of, “nothing should ever be tapped that hard” so I’m stumped.

The tire and wheel spin freely. I’m tempted to cut the steel rod off as close to the wheel pant as I can just so I can get the tire/wheel out.

Any ideas out there on a solution or something worth trying?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Dave Dugas

Hi Corbin
I use a piece of PVC pipe instead of steel to tap the axle out. Perfect outer diameter and light weight too. It pushes out easily when reinstalling the wheel. I keep it in the Q2 in case of any tire issue. I changed to steel axles instead of the aluminum just FYI. Merry Christmas
Dave D

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM, Corbin via groups.io
<c_geiser@...> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Michael

Grab a can of "Dust Off" or whatever brand of canned air, turn the can upside down, and spray down your axle pusher-outer rod at the tip (try avoiding the axle, please). The liquid propellent is at about -30°F and will hopefully shrink the steel rod enough for you to knock it out of the axle.

My axle pusher-outer stick is made from a wooden dowel with a point on it; got stuck last time I used it, too. Luckily it was wood so I just ripped it out and made a new one.

--
-MD

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

--

Corbin
N121CG

Paul Fisher

I'm guessing something is not aligned anymore which is why you can't drive it one way or the other.  I would use a pair of vicegrip pliers to PULL it back out.

Paul

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, 12:06 Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’ve always had a bit of a headache removing the axle when needing to remove the tire.  In one of the pics below, the darker steel rod is what I use to slide in and tap out the axle (which is the other pic).  The axle will easily pull out from the position in the pic.  However, the rod I use to tap out the axle is stuck and won’t move back out or further in.

I have the plane raised so there is no weight on the tire.  I have tried tapping the axle back in to push back out the rod.  I’ve reached the pint of, “nothing should ever be talked that hard” so I’m stumped.

The tire and wheel spin freely.  I’m tempted to cut the steel rod off as close to the wheel pant as I can just so I can get the tire/wheel out.

Any ideas out there on a solution or something worth trying?

Corbin

--
Corbin
N121CG

Jerry Marstall

Have you tried a pipe wrench to twist the rod?

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

--

Corbin
N121CG

Corbin

Thanks Jerry and Paul.  I can get to a pipe wrench and vise grips faster than a can of air so I’ll give that a go.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Anthony P

I'm guessing the end of the steel pin has been slightly expanded/mushroomed. Very easy to do with what looks like hot rolled mild steel.

If you can cut the stuck steel rod without creating heat, and chamfer after cutting, and then move the wheel sideways enough so that everything drops out the bottom, I would do that.  Save the composites from more loads and impacts.

If you can't remove the wheel after the rod is cut, carefully use an air chisel or solid rivet gun to apply many, small impacts the the CENTER of stuck pin. You will probably need an intermediate drift pin for this, approx. 1/2 of the stuck pin diameter.
This smaller diameter intermediate pin must be centered during the impacts or you'll just make the problem worse.  Reducing the length of the stuck pin will reduce its mass and this will help it function less like its own bucking bar.

--
Q2 N86KL

Corbin

Thanks, Anthony, that's another good idea.  I am worried I wouldn't be able to make certain I would be impacting in the dead center of the stuck rod since it is halfway through the wheel and hard to see one something is inserted.   But with a  long drift pin, it might be possible.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Mike Dwyer

This is challenging to word properly.  As the shorter steel tube is being pushed into place when it gets to a spacer, you have to hold upward pressure on the tire, otherwise as the steel shaft is going in and hits the end of the spacer it falls and jams.  Look down either steel tube and if they are not lined up, then do what it takes to line them up.

Also, in the future, put a campher(sp) on the end of the steel tubes so it self corrects the alignment.  Also, I carry in my onboard tool bag the short axle made out of AL so that I can do tire work anywhere that I fly to.  I carry this short axle and a spare inner-tube.  I don't see a need to carry a whole tire!

Mike Dwyer

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 1:06 PM Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

If the others' suggestions for gentle coaxing have not worked, try a short length (1") of hose or PVC with similar O.D. to your axle and place that over your smaller diameter drift.  It will work as a centering jig during your quick and lite taps.

--
Q2 N86KL

Corbin

Thanks, Mike.  I believe my pusher rod made it past the space and is about halfway through the wheel.  But I follow what you are saying otherwise.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Corbin

Anthony, I might not understand because wouldn't using the axle to try and tap the pusher rod back out do the same as you describe?
--

Corbin
N121CG

Anthony P

I'm simply not being clear.
You correctly stated that it will/would be hard to keep the drift centered properly on the stuck pin when the end of the stuck pin is down inside the wheel.
I was just making a suggestion for a quick and dirty tool that would help with centering.

This depends on how continuous the bore is through the wheel/bearings.

Think of a 3/8" dia. drift with a 5/8" O.D. soft bushing (hose or PVC) pressed onto the end of the pin. Then insert all of this into the 3/4" I.D. bore. The drift will be centered on the stuck pin without you needing to do anything.

The purpose of the quick and lite taps is to reduce the loads that get put into the inboard vertical wall of your wheel pant.

Otherwise, I fear you're going to need to create a C-clamp like contraption to push on the stuck pin while supporting the wheel pant wall.

--
Q2 N86KL

Corbin

Ahhh….now I follow you.  Yep, that makes sense!  Thanks for clarifying.
--

Corbin
N121CG

Bruce Crain

Maybe get someone to tap once on the outside and then tap the inside to see if that will loosen it. You could use propane to super freeze the tube and see if it can make it shrink enough to move it. Don’t smoke!
Bruce
On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:12 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Plans starting as low as $6.95 per month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag695&promoCode=A34454

Mike Steinsland

Definitely lubricate it as you get it going
Hopefully the lubricant works it's way into the wheel
You may have to tap it back and forth a lot.....a little at a time, like rocking a stuck car back and forth

On Thu., Dec. 23, 2021, 7:25 p.m. Bruce Crain, <jcrain2@...> wrote:
Maybe get someone to tap once on the outside and then tap the inside to see if that will loosen it.  You could use propane to super freeze the tube and see if it can make it shrink enough to move it.  Don’t smoke!
Bruce
> On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:12 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> [Edited Message Follows]
>
> Typos corrected:  I’ve always had a bit of a headache removing the axle when needing to remove the tire.  In one of the pics below, the darker steel rod is what I use to slide in and tap out the axle (which is the other pic).  The axle will easily pull out from the position in the pic.  However, the rod I use to tap out the axle is stuck and won’t move back out or further in.
>
> I have the plane raised so there is no weight on the tire.  I have tried tapping the axle back in to push back out the rod.  I’ve reached the point of, “nothing should ever be tapped that hard” so I’m stumped.
>
> The tire and wheel spin freely.  I’m tempted to cut the steel rod off as close to the wheel pant as I can just so I can get the tire/wheel out.
>
> Any ideas out there on a solution or something worth trying?
>

> Corbin
>
> --
> Corbin
> N121CG
>

> <image0.jpeg>
> <image1.jpeg>

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Plans starting as low as $6.95 per month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag695&promoCode=A34454

Mike Steinsland

Did you ever get that out or did Christmas get in the way?

On Fri., Dec. 24, 2021, 2:32 p.m. Mike Steinsland via groups.io, <MIKESKUSTOMS=GMAIL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
Definitely lubricate it as you get it going
Hopefully the lubricant works it's way into the wheel
You may have to tap it back and forth a lot.....a little at a time, like rocking a stuck car back and forth

On Thu., Dec. 23, 2021, 7:25 p.m. Bruce Crain, <jcrain2@...> wrote:
Maybe get someone to tap once on the outside and then tap the inside to see if that will loosen it.  You could use propane to super freeze the tube and see if it can make it shrink enough to move it.  Don’t smoke!
Bruce
> On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:12 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> [Edited Message Follows]
>
> Typos corrected:  I’ve always had a bit of a headache removing the axle when needing to remove the tire.  In one of the pics below, the darker steel rod is what I use to slide in and tap out the axle (which is the other pic).  The axle will easily pull out from the position in the pic.  However, the rod I use to tap out the axle is stuck and won’t move back out or further in.
>
> I have the plane raised so there is no weight on the tire.  I have tried tapping the axle back in to push back out the rod.  I’ve reached the point of, “nothing should ever be tapped that hard” so I’m stumped.
>
> The tire and wheel spin freely.  I’m tempted to cut the steel rod off as close to the wheel pant as I can just so I can get the tire/wheel out.
>
> Any ideas out there on a solution or something worth trying?
>

> Corbin
>
> --
> Corbin
> N121CG
>

> <image0.jpeg>
> <image1.jpeg>

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Plans starting as low as $6.95 per month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag695&promoCode=A34454

Corbin

Christmas shenanigans got in the way until this morning and I was able to get it out….sort of.  Freezing/shrinking didn’t work, tapping from all sides and techniques didn’t work, working lubricant in didn’t work, in the end I cut it off as close to the wheel pant as I could and was able to shove the steel push rod into the wheel pant enough for the tire to fall down and out.

Now I just have to take part the wheel and remove the bearing (which is what it is stuck on) and steel push rod and throw them as far as I can into the woods; never to be seen again.

Corbin

On Dec 30, 2021, at 12:31 PM, Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:

Did you ever get that out or did Christmas get in the way?

On Fri., Dec. 24, 2021, 2:32 p.m. Mike Steinsland via groups.io, <MIKESKUSTOMS=GMAIL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
Definitely lubricate it as you get it going
Hopefully the lubricant works it's way into the wheel
You may have to tap it back and forth a lot.....a little at a time, like rocking a stuck car back and forth

On Thu., Dec. 23, 2021, 7:25 p.m. Bruce Crain, <jcrain2@...> wrote:
Maybe get someone to tap once on the outside and then tap the inside to see if that will loosen it.  You could use propane to super freeze the tube and see if it can make it shrink enough to move it.  Don’t smoke!
Bruce
> On Dec 23, 2021, at 12:12 PM, Corbin via groups.io <c_geiser=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> [Edited Message Follows]
>
> Typos corrected:  I’ve always had a bit of a headache removing the axle when needing to remove the tire.  In one of the pics below, the darker steel rod is what I use to slide in and tap out the axle (which is the other pic).  The axle will easily pull out from the position in the pic.  However, the rod I use to tap out the axle is stuck and won’t move back out or further in.
>
> I have the plane raised so there is no weight on the tire.  I have tried tapping the axle back in to push back out the rod.  I’ve reached the point of, “nothing should ever be tapped that hard” so I’m stumped.
>
> The tire and wheel spin freely.  I’m tempted to cut the steel rod off as close to the wheel pant as I can just so I can get the tire/wheel out.
>
> Any ideas out there on a solution or something worth trying?
>

> Corbin
>
> --
> Corbin
> N121CG
>

> <image0.jpeg>
> <image1.jpeg>

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Plans starting as low as $6.95 per month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag695&promoCode=A34454

--

Corbin
N121CG

Jay Scheevel

Hi Corbin,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!. It occurs to me that the issue may have been that the axle was slightly bent, maybe from a hard landing or other torque, so cutting it off was probably a good strategy regardless. Glad you got it out (or soon will) and will get your airplane functional again in the new year. Send us pics of your updated panel.