B&C 30 amp alternator fuse issue

Sam Hoskins

This is for anyone with the B&C BC433 30 amp generator mounted on their O-200.

In widely spaced incidents, I've had a couple of fuses blow in the line between the alternator and the regulator. After a lot of discussion and looking at the culprit fuse, we think we boiled it down to an overheated 20 amp fuse with a slightly corroded leg, rather than a current overload. I've also communicated with Bob Knuckolls about this.

As a result of these discussions, B&C has decided that the fuses are unnecessary and only provide another possible failure point. They installed an alternator on their test stand and shorted the windings in all possible combinations and found no hazards.  Just thought I'd pass it along.  Here are the drawings.

New wiring diagram:  https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/505-501-.pdf

Superseded diagram:  https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/505-500-J.pdf

Stay safe,

Sam Hoskins

Bruce Crain

Good to know Sammy!  I've been running a 12 amp B and C for years without any troubles at all.  The largest thing I run is a servo for my Trio EZ autopilot plus a servo for rudder trim.  The rest is for electronic ignition and radio and transponder and ipad.  So I am not pulling hardly any amps.

I did replace the gear/cushion drive at one time as they recommended it as a weak point.  I cut a huge amount of extra wire and wrapped it up so I could pull the engine without needing to disconnect it when I clean out the oil screen.

I love B and C Products!  Especially their Starter for the 0200!  It is a "ROCK"!

Bruce

[...]

Ryszard Zadow

< I love B and C Products! Especially their Starter for the 0200! It is a "ROCK"!>

I agree and a while back I did this testimonial for B&C:

Ryz

On Aug 21, 2021, at 14:15, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@juno.com> wrote:

I love B and C Products! Especially their Starter for the 0200! It is a "ROCK"!

Bruce Crain

Ryszard excellent Advertisement for B and C.  And you got that right!  I have never had a problem with my B and C.  My TriQ 200 will almost taxi with just the starter it cranks so fast!
Bruce

< I love B and C Products!  Especially their Starter for the 0200!  It is a "ROCK"!>

I agree and a while back I did this testimonial for B&C:

Ryz!

> On Aug 21, 2021, at 14:15, Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...> wrote:
>
> I love B and C Products!  Especially their Starter for the 0200!  It is a "ROCK"!

Richard Thomson

Thanks Sam,

The B&C fitted to my 0200 is the original 12 Amp single phase version which had direct connection to the Voltage regulator when received, but I did notice that the latest drawing shows a 15 amp fuse in those lines. I refitted it as it was originally with no fuse, it has crow bar and switching anyway so can be isolated if needed.

Glad to hear Bruce still using the 12 amp unit, hoping not to need to upgrade to the 30 Amp either, the new bearings and rubber drive buffers may show to be a good investment after all.

Rich T.