Topics

Beginning labor pains #photo-notice

Today my friend and I went into labor pains. We brought our baby "Gypsy Wind" to the hospital and made some contact with the doctors. Bruce, and Jim. So far we've got a mess of parts scattered and un-confirmed. We have found the fuselage is a little warped from sitting in pieces for 30 years. But there's a plan to fix that. We found the damage to one of the spare on the outboard edge to be more significant than we thought. Does anyone have a spar available? Maybe out of a crashed q200?

Jay Scheevel

Hi Cody,

I think you can repair/rebuild that outboard end of the spar. Better to do that than try to use one from salvage/wrecked plane, since the spar usually breaks in a crash and would probably be damaged on any salvaged plane.

If you can find a new spar that is an option, but they are hard to find.

If you want to repair:
One way to do it would be to could cut the damaged portion off squarely, then hot-wire a foam plug with the length and taper as inside of the portion of the spar you are replacing. After cutting off the damaged part off the spar you feather the undamaged portion back 1” per ply of carbon to allow you to lay up the unidirectional plies overlapping the feathered plies by 1” corresponding to the number of plies and weight of carbon as on the good portion of the spar. Jig the hotwired plug to be perfectly aligned with the remaining undamaged spar then layup the top side with carbon fiber overlapping the tapers*** (make sure the uni-fibers are straight). After it cures, flip the spar over and lay up on the bottom side with the same number of plies, overlapping the plies from the top layup on front and back of the spar by about an inch. Make sure you use peel ply on the front and back of the spar when you lay up the top side, so your bottom side layup will bond properly. You will probably want to sand slightly after the repair to smooth out the areas where the feathered plies are. Be careful not to damage your layups***. Then you will want to wrap the repair with one BiD ply at 45 degrees for shear strength.

If you are unsure about the number of plies and weight of the carbon fiber, you can take a piece of the damaged section that you cut off and carefully examine it and or destroy it to find out how many plies.  If it was fiberglass, you could probably burn it and find out, but I am pretty sure that would incinerate carbon fiber….maybe some else knows for sure.

***See the composite repair instructions in the Quickie plans for how to feather and do layup repairs. The unidirectional carbon is available from aircraft spruce. Wear a mask when sanding. The carbon fiber dust is nasty.

I am sure that the composite experts in this group (I am NOT a composite expert!) will improve on my suggestions, so stand by to see if they chime in. Good luck.

By the way, if there are still bottles of epoxy from the original kit, throw them away. They are way too old by now to use.

Cheers,

jay

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

By quickly I guess it should be called a Q200 MKII. Moving the wheels and brakes inboard to a traditional Taildragger setup. Since the load on the outboard would be weight of landing loads if I stabilized the spar, run a C channel like the GU canard as well as the round carbon spar then spar cap the entire wing, it would be a bit more heavy. But it would be safe. Providing of course I find some plans on how the front landing gear mount into the plane/canard whichever. Right now it's looking kind of bleak, but there's a fix out there. We just need to find it.

Jim Patillo

Jay, after looking at the pictures and Cody telling me the shattered spar is about 14” from the small end, at the wheel pant, it seems to me that it would be difficult to fair in a repaired spar to the elevator slot core. As you know, that is a fairly thin area to work in. Also if the spar is not load tested and proven prior to install, a failure could cause the elevator end to fail. Repairing the spar in that area would be difficult even for experienced glass guys. My suggestion to him was to find a spar.

Believe me, flying a newly repaired spar
Is much more disturbing and unnerving than my 1st. flight was. With all the other stuff going on during the first flight, this is additional mental anguish you don’t need.

Not saying it can’t be done but personally I would be trying to find another spar. There’s got to be one around somewhere and there’s something to be said about peace of mind.

Just my opinion.

Jim
N46JP - Q200

Sent from Outer Space

Today my friend and I went into labor pains. We brought our baby "Gypsy Wind" to the hospital and made some contact with the doctors. Bruce, and Jim. So far we've got a mess of parts scattered and un-confirmed. We have found the fuselage is a little warped from sitting in pieces for 30 years. But there's a plan to fix that. We found the damage to one of the spare on the outboard edge to be more significant than we thought. Does anyone have a spar available? Maybe out of a crashed q200?

Jay Scheevel

Good advice, Jim. If Cody is going to go with inboard gear, either tail dragged or nose dragged, then he could also do a Waddlelow design.

Today my friend and I went into labor pains. We brought our baby "Gypsy Wind" to the hospital and made some contact with the doctors. Bruce, and Jim. So far we've got a mess of parts scattered and un-confirmed. We have found the fuselage is a little warped from sitting in pieces for 30 years. But there's a plan to fix that. We found the damage to one of the spare on the outboard edge to be more significant than we thought. Does anyone have a spar available? Maybe out of a crashed q200?

Jay Scheevel

There have been a couple of guys who have built such a landing gear mounting box between the canard spar and the main tank, beefed up appropriately, then have used a hoop gear to build as tail dragger. This has also been done and extensively reported on the dragonfly. You may want to have a look around on the web for a design that you can apply to your aircraft. Grove will make aluminum hoop gear to your specification and gun drill them for the brake line, once you know the exact geometry you want to use.

By quickly I guess it should be called a Q200 MKII. Moving the wheels and brakes inboard to a traditional Taildragger setup. Since the load on the outboard would be weight of landing loads if I stabilized the spar, run a C channel like the GU canard as well as the round carbon spar then spar cap the entire wing, it would be a bit more heavy. But it would be safe. Providing of course I find some plans on how the front landing gear mount into the plane/canard whichever. Right now it's looking kind of bleak, but there's a fix out there. We just need to find it.

Mike Steinsland

HiGuys
Just new to this forum
I just recently picked up a Q2 project up here in Parry Sound , Ont.
I found this Dragonfly lay up for gear.
I think I have something else but wifey has told me to fire up the barbee so I'll just send this for now

--

Mike Steinsland

kingdws@...

If you need information on the gear stuff mentioned in the newsletter Drew Aurigema is a friend/business partner so can put you in touch. He might still have everything still. I know he gave me a set of his Raptor plans on DVD and there might be something there as well.

Dave

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020, 14:34 Mike Steinsland <MIKESKUSTOMS@...> wrote:
[...]

I thought I had something else.
This is some photos of the inboard gear mounting on a Dragonfly

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 8:33 PM <kingdws@...> wrote:
[...]

I would appreciate it.

https://youtu.be/aJkFnhqKkJw

Would this be a decent guide to potentially repairing the spar? At this point repairing can serve several purposes without risk. If its strong and works yay! If it doesn't work or I fail, then its good practice and we continue on with other options anyways. I don't feel like I have a lot to lose right now in playing with the option. Although my primary time and focus will be dressing out the fuselage, followed by the main wing. The canard can probably wait till near the end since its under consideration.

Rick Hole

As you are planning inboard land gear, the strength required at the tip of the canard is much reduced.  With the gear at the ends of the canard I would not touch a repaired spar under any circumstances.  There might be wiggle room in your configuration.  I am not qualified to address that.

Rick Hole