Topics

Brake Lines

Patrick Panzera <panzera@...>

My Q (incomplete project) was built back in the stone age, and has been
exposed to too many UV rays. Subsequently, one of my brake lines (in
the cockpit) is quite brittle. So brittle in fact that it takes little
effort to snap it anywhere I please.

I was wondering if anyone has worked out an easy means to route new
lines from the cockpit to the wheel pant?

For those of you who are building, I would strongly advise running an
oversized line which to use as a conduit, so you can change your lines
at will.

Thanks!

Pat

I've pretty much completed the interior, shot a coat of blue/grey
Zolatone inside.... looks real clean, especially with the factory
(blue) upholstery kit. Now to make the panel.

Jon Finley <finley@...>

Pat,

I installed hydraulic brakes on my Q1 after it was finished. I removed the
elevators and carefully slit the slot core with a knife. Using a dremel, I
cut a small channel in the foam. I placed my brake line into the channel
and glassed the slot core closed. I had to drill a channel into the
fuselage and into the wheelpant while all was open.

I agree, install a brake line conduit if your at that stage.

Jon Finley
N54JF Quickie - Volkswagen 1835cc
N90MG Q2 - Subaru EA-81 DDT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
http://63.90.191.136/Finley/finley-subaru.html

My Q (incomplete project) was built back in the stone age, and has been
exposed to too many UV rays. Subsequently, one of my brake lines (in
the cockpit) is quite brittle. So brittle in fact that it takes little
effort to snap it anywhere I please.

I was wondering if anyone has worked out an easy means to route new
lines from the cockpit to the wheel pant?

For those of you who are building, I would strongly advise running an
oversized line which to use as a conduit, so you can change your lines
at will.

Thanks!

Pat

I've pretty much completed the interior, shot a coat of blue/grey
Zolatone inside.... looks real clean, especially with the factory
(blue) upholstery kit. Now to make the panel.

Jon Finley <finley@...>

Pat,

Not sure if you have a GU or LS1 canard but Q2BT1 from 2/15/81 suggests
securing the brake line inside the finished slot core (in the space between
the slot core and elevator). This is how my Q2 was done. Probably not the
ideal but is less work that slitting the slot core and does allow for pretty
easy replacement IF you have enough room.

[...]

Jerry Marstall <msusa@...>

I went the expensive route to protect my brake lines and make them easily
repairable. I stopped by McDonalds and got a handfull of straws. I then
fit the straws together, spot epoxied them to the gear and put a layer of
glass over them. Then all you have to do is slide the brake line tubing
down through the straws.
Jerry Marstall