Topics

broken plane

One Sky Dog

On Jan 4, 2021, at 5:34 PM, Kevin Boddicker <trumanst@...> wrote:

The SKY King of broken planes.

: >))))

Kevin

On Jan 4, 2021, at 11:07 AM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

Jay,

I may have already been outed.

No tandem wing flying for me but I have been trading glass for air. I did a Cherokee nose bowl repair. Replaced the factory crappy sandwich stiffeners. He has taken me flying twice and let’s me fly if I want. Did my first right seat take off and landing in a Cherokee 140 last week. We are right in the middle of flying season, cool air, no snow, clear skies, 67 F today. We also landed on the dry lake bed near Wilson Az. and another dirt strip 2500 ft 4200 MSL.

The Oklahoma oil line problem on the Tri-Pacer has resulted in me making a precautionary landing on the way home from Ogden in September. The #2 rod bearing has failed. I do not know the crank condition. Looking at repair options now plane is at Benson hangar.

King of broken airplanes,

Charlie a.k.a. One Sky Dog

smeshno1@...

 Ouch!  That crank rework will be a dollar item! What STC for different engines do you have available for the Piper, Charlie?

 I asked because of a recent Facebook Marketplace of a badly mauled Mooney 21 (storm blew it over..not running) The FWF looked like it was not damaged. 150Hp O-320 should be in that Mooney. Maybe no STC is required for your aircraft since the later PA-20's had the 150Hp commonly. I'll look for the listing again.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 4:57 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Q-List] broken plane

[...]

It is a conical mount 1/2” valves O-320-150 A2B

I do not know what STC engines or even what models are allowed to be put on it. I am not in the twitter / face universe.

Charlie

On Jan 5, 2021, at 9:36 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

 For Internal parts.. your going to need a yellow tagged crankshaft for one. That is the big cost item. There is no reason an O-320 shaft from lets say an airboat is not a good start. As an example, there is an entire O-320 in Florida.. not far from Williams place. Dunnellon is West of Ocala. All freeway travel.

 The guy is asking 3K for the entire engine less prop. It was an operating powerplant.

 You would need the crank inspected by an experienced A&P in magnaflux with the correct equipment such as is located at Embry-Riddle also in Florida. If your crank has to be turned undersize it also has to be Nitrided again. That also must be done by an FAA
repair station or an authorized metal treat center such as SPA uses.  You will recover some of the cost with the extra
parts you will not need. Cylinders for one.

 Need to see that #2 rod journal in your engine and what if any damage is done. If the bearing spun then it is a sure thing a better crank would be the way to base the repair.