Topics

Charlie's Dragonfly Repairs

Jay Scheevel

Looks like you are getting there, Charlie. It would be great to have both you and Bob show up in two Dragonflies. Bruce would do a little dance he would be so happy! Let me know when you get back up to Ogden again for a spell and I will see if I can make a flight over there in my Q. BTW, I changed the name of the thread to keep up with the conversation.

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of One Sky Dog via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 1:32 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Cutting control cable

Jay,

Here are a few.

After a bad day of flying!

Replacement canard and gear and engine on its feet.

Reworked cowl to make space for MS carb. To replace vapor locking TBI carb.

So I still have a problem with right side elevator torque tube alignment with the elevator. I have to drop the canard and cut out the bearing blocks and redo them. Wiring changes, finish rebuilding elevator fairings, engine control hookups and a bunch of other little things. Then start the test flights again. Oh! wheel pants Need to be completed.

I will have to bring my 20 ft barriers to put around it as it ain’t no Lindy nearing 900 hours and 30+ years, 4 engines, 3 canards, 2 owners.

I can only work on it after the snow melts and the temperatures in Ogden are habitable for camping. I hope next summer will be successful and I can show up in a proper airplane at the FOD.

Charlie

Bruce Crain

Great progress pics Charlie!!  I will “bust mah grove” if you taxi up at Field Of Dreams with that D/Fly!
Bruce

On Jan 4, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Looks like you are getting there, Charlie. It would be great to have both you and Bob show up in two Dragonflies. Bruce would do a little dance he would be so happy! Let me know when you get back up to Ogden again for a spell and I will see if I can make a flight over there in my Q. BTW, I changed the name of the thread to keep up with the conversation.

Replacement canard and gear and engine on its feet.
<image004.jpg>

Reworked cowl to make space for MS carb. To replace vapor locking TBI carb.

So I still have a problem with right side elevator torque tube alignment with the elevator. I have to drop the canard and cut out the bearing blocks and redo them. Wiring changes, finish rebuilding elevator fairings, engine control hookups and a bunch of other little things. Then start the test flights again. Oh! wheel pants Need to be completed.

I will have to bring my 20 ft barriers to put around it as it ain’t no Lindy nearing 900 hours and 30+ years, 4 engines, 3 canards, 2 owners.

I can only work on it after the snow melts and the temperatures in Ogden are habitable for camping. I hope next summer will be successful and I can show up in a proper airplane at the FOD.

Charlie

smeshno1@...

 Charlie.. did you base your cowling using the WW 750 nosebowl or did you fab up this unit?

[...]

One Sky Dog

I used the WW nose bowl As a start. Widened the fuselage at the firewall and morphed the two shapes together.

On Jan 4, 2021, at 4:03 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

 You widened the firewall for extra room within the cabin or due to requirements for the engine mount?

[...]

I did not actually widen the firewall. The Corvair is wider than a VW. On the stock Dragonfly the fuse is 3” wider than at the front of the canard. An aero guy told me that makes the air over the canard move sideways and not a good thing. I glued a wedge of foam to the existing glass and shaped it t morph to the canard.

On Jan 5, 2021, at 11:50 AM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

My Dragonfly in 1995 with 1835 cc (UN)HAPI engine the side now follows approximately where the cheeks were.

On Jan 5, 2021, at 1:03 PM, One Sky Dog via groups.io <Oneskydog@...> wrote:

[...]

Understood. The additions on the bottom of the Canard are one item I was wondering about with my own Canard. I also have the same MKII gear stubs and the non-anhedral planform and could not see any usefulness for the additions on the lower Canard surface until now. Your photo clarifies; with the original VW rather than O-200/Corvair the plans designed D'fly narrow firewall would not make the grade. In the photo view it is clear why the aerodynamics would be better with a "no taper" to the L.E. of the Canard. My fuselage is all Q, therefore a conventional Q-200 cowl will be acceptable for fitup. I will calculate the cooling area with the flat 6 but I doubt any problems would arise compared to the flat 4 being used.  William is very clear on the cooling area size required. The actual flight testing has proven it as well.

 I will be cutting the span of both the Canard and Wing to "Q" config..18 feet and filling in the MKII stub holes due to my revision to use Wittman Buttercup gear design (I own a numbered plans set from Ed Luce for the Buttercup), and possibly removing the two fairings on the lower Canard surface. I am unsure how those fairings were applied.. peel ply and layup and then bonded or if they were made as
part of the Canard layup. If done as part of the layup then the sleeping dog will stay asleep and the fairings will stay put.

 Do we need vortex generators with the D-fly airfoils? I do not see them on your aircraft in the photo.

Vern

[...]

Vern,

The canard belly fairing is added after the canard layup per plan. It was to provide a channel for cooling air exit and fuse matchup. You could probably clean it off.

VG’s YES!!!
I tried everything to avoid them but needed with GU. I have not put them on the new canard yet. I do not want to damage them while I am still throwing things around.

Charlie

On Jan 5, 2021, at 2:14 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

Terry Adams

Tuft test it, you may be surprised.

Terry

--
Communication ink and paper free

smeshno1@...

 Ok.. once I get to that point I'll get the dremel out. My Canard is not finished on the lower surface..only primed. The top coat on the upper surface is not up to my liking anyway (pinholes when looking across the paint), so the topcoat will be removed to primer and start with renovation from there. Both surfaces need the skeptical eye and ring testing. The Wing is a much better finish overall. I purchased these from WW. He was going to cut them up and toss them into the local landfill as he had already done with the fuselage. I knew the DF spar design would be more than acceptable as I had investigated any possible set of Q2 Spars being available (not).

GU airfoil. I guess having doo dads on the surface is not too bad anyway since almost every post war propeller driven Beech has them in one way or another.

 I figure in Phase 1 it would be a good plan to test the minimum VG's required. I have them on my Capella also as was original from the designer.

[...]

Do you want a Dragonfly fuselage? I have 4 of them.

Charlie

On Jan 5, 2021, at 9:24 PM, smeshno1@... wrote:

[...]

 No..my plan from the start was to build this project as a Frankenstein. I like the Q2 contour and shell construction. If there was some way that the copyright to the Dragonfly plans were ever resolved, I suspect that the Dragonfly would be a popular aircraft again for builders. Probably more so once your aircraft is aviating again. It's difficult to beat the engine and airframe for return on the flying dollar.

 Last I heard the legal ownership for the Dragonfly rights are stuck in limbo in South Africa.

[...]

No reason someone could not create a sort of hybrid and name it as a whole new design. I think it would be nice to have a Q2 fuselage with removable Q2 wing and canard ala dragonfly construction. Could use the dragonfly mounting scheme to do this, and go with Quickie everywhere else, except where a different control system linkage was necessary for wing removal. If it was a simple bolt-on, some folks might even decide to make an extra canard….just-in-case.

[...]

 That is true, Jay. The Dragonfly Canard and Wing I have do have attach plates to bolt rather than layup. The removable Q2 tail option also makes the package a movable aircraft with my 18 foot trailer, and therefore Conditional Inspections less of a gymnastics exercise.

 By using the Wittman spring tube gear on the engine mount I can drop the canard down or raise it up without much problem, solo. As mentioned, the removable Q2 tail cone allows a remove of the wing much easier.

 After review of the engineering of both the Dragonfly and Q2 my thoughts were and are now the intent of the Frankenbird. FAA could care less what I call it but I will include an individual name to the registration.

 For homebuilders fabricating the Q2 shells are quite a leap. Not so much for composite factory folks because the tooling is not all that difficult or expensive to make, especially in these digital days.

 For a "one off" aircraft tho (Q2 wing spar and fuselage shells being the tuff walls to climb) Dragonfly is a better option for a new to composites builder. I do have the background and experience required but my intention was not to become a supplier, it is to build a more serviceable and safer tandem wing design for my own. I have an eye more for simplicity in the powerplant and in the instrument panel as well. Some of what I will include in my project are possibly of value to the Experimental community. If not..its ok..I left my ego at the bank when I retired from the aircraft factory life last year :-)

Vern

[...]

 This is a good idea too Terry. Temp glue on the camera and observe in flight what is going on where. I'm all for drag reduction!
 Automatic miles in the fuel tank!

 I also subscribe to the Wittman folks blog and "Red" who has built quite a few W10's has the drag reduction art down pat
 on that design. They do a lot of tuft testing.