Cool cloud sighting

Jay Scheevel

While “threading the needle” through storms near Omaha this morning, I saw a phenomenon I had never seen before. A stratus layer (below me) was being sucked upward by a convective cell of to my left, turning the top of the stratus into something resembling the Eiger (mountain in Switzerland). The lighting and the white Quickie wing make it more “artistic”

Cheers,
Jay

Rick Hole

An impressive photo. Thanks for sharing

Rick Hole

Edwin Medina

Looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 20:45 Rick Hole via groups.io <r.hole=ieee.org@groups.io> wrote:
An impressive photo.  Thanks for sharing

Rick Hole

Frankenbird Vern

We witness events that most never see that are ground bound..and this is a new one. 

🙂

Vern 

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 10:22 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Cool cloud sighting

While “threading the needle” through storms near Omaha this morning, I saw a phenomenon I had never seen before. A stratus layer (below me) was being sucked upward by a convective cell of to my left, turning the top of the stratus into something resembling the Eiger (mountain in Switzerland). The lighting and the white Quickie wing make it more “artistic”

Cheers,
Jay

John Hartley

I couldn't make it to FOD - military obligations, again. Right now, I'm setting on a ramp next to the jet, waiting on pax. The view isn't as nice as Jay's, but it's the story of my life. The other picture is the view of Kuwait City from the Iranian border at FL450 - kinda neat. I'll try to catch yall next year.

John Hartley

Most of the money I've made in my life has been spent on airplanes. I wasted the rest.

Mike Dwyer

Looks a bit scary to me!
Cool picture, thanks for posting it.
Mike Dwyer

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022, 23:22 Jay Scheevel <jay@...> wrote:

Cheers,
Jay

Jim Patillo

If you’re instrument rated and your plane is so equipped no big deal. If not, an engine related problem can be a really big deal quickly, especially if you’ve never flown IFR in clouds totally obscured. Confusion happens instantaneously, then the plane cannot handle the over inputs and comes apart. Better to look up at it than being in it not knowing which way is up. Just my professional opinion after 57 years of flying. Get home safe, guys!

The pictures of the fly in were really nice. I swear to fix my oil leaks this winter, I’m missing to much fun. We always had good turn outs in Livermore when Bob and I were running It. 

Jim Patillo
N46JP - Q200

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Jay Scheevel <jay@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 8:22:45 PM

Cheers,
Jay

Jay Scheevel

Appreciate the advice and experience, Jim. The stratus layer was off to my left. To the right it terminated and I still had a view of the ground. I was flying airport to airport, so risk was mitigated, but your points are well taken.

Cheers,

Jay

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Patillo
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2022 9:55 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Cool cloud sighting

If you’re instrument rated and your plane is so equipped no big deal. If not, an engine related problem can be a really big deal quickly, especially if you’ve never flown IFR in clouds totally obscured. Confusion happens instantaneously, then the plane cannot handle the over inputs and comes apart. Better to look up at it than being in it not knowing which way is up. Just my professional opinion after 57 years of flying. Get home safe, guys!

The pictures of the fly in were really nice. I swear to fix my oil leaks this winter, I’m missing to much fun. We always had good turn outs in Livermore when Bob and I were running It. 

Jim Patillo

N46JP - Q200

Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 8:22:45 PM

Cheers,
Jay

David J. Gall

Cool photo. Were you "1000 ft above" that layer?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:23 PM
To: main@q-list.groups.io

Cheers,
Jay

Jay Scheevel

Yep, 1001 😉

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of David J. Gall
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 7:14 AM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Q-List] Cool cloud sighting

Cool photo. Were you "1000 ft above" that layer?

From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Scheevel

Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 11:23 PM

To: main@q-list.groups.io

Cheers,

Jay