For now, I went with the original version from Q-talk 27 but it's missing some of the radii dimensions as well. Cut to fit, I suppose. At any rate, I think my original copy has the 1/8 inch graph lines still on it...will update when I learn more.

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

Managed to export the Fusion 360 part to a DXF and successfully import the DXF into my laser cutter software...Progress!

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Sam Hoskins

Gee, that must have been 15 years ago or more.  I'm sure I added the curve to save weight on the part. As far as the inside bracket, I don't really remember, but I do know that these parts are working very well for me. I'm not sure where I have the procedure documented, but an important item is to have the mounting plate parallel to the brake disc.  You do this by installing all the parts, then applying brake pressure.  This forces the mounting plate into alignment.  Then you stuff flox between the wheelpant and the mounting plate.  Worked great for the two systems I installed.

Sam

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 9:25 AM Michael <dunningme@...> wrote:
Sam,

Do you remember why you chose the external curves that you did on your version of the Coughlin brake mounts? I attempted to redraw your design in Fusion 360 but I didn't have all the dimensions I needed. Did you have to make your "Inside Bracket" smaller than the original Plate No. 1 for some reason?

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Sam Hoskins

Michael, here is what my brake mount looks like today.

IMG_20190806_181205.jpg

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

Thanks Sam. You don't happen to have a PDF version of your drawing still, do you?

What's the big loop of tubing for?
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

Managed to reverse engineer the JPG drawing for the Hoskins version of the Coughlin brake mod. Quite pleased with how everything turned out when stacked on top of the drawing. Tomorrow's trick will be getting these into DXF and over to the laser cutter software.

If anyone is interested in a 3D view of how the parts go together, let me know.

--
-MD

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

That's the plan, once I make a set and verify fitment.

Say, what's the big loop of tubing for in your brake mount picture?

--
-MD

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

Obligatory long-overdue status update. The wooden brackets for test fitment are finally done:

https://youtu.be/hkhMwPt2CwQ

This photo really shows the difference in size (and weight) between the Couglin/Hoskins version and the LaRue->Hiatt / tenHave set currently installed on half of my plane. Next steps are to bolt everything together and see how they fit. I'm hoping to reuse the stock wheel-pant covers, since these don't fit under the ones I have now:

For those that are wondering, the previous builder was halfway through the brake upgrade when progress stopped. So I have one complete, installed set of the LaRue->Hiatt / tenHave versions on the passenger side and just the uninstalled parts, shown above, for the pilot's side. I experienced significant binding in the currently installed mounts and decided to investigate these while I still had the same amount of work to either continue on with these parts or retrofit to the Coughlin/Hoskins version.
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Mike Dwyer

One thing that I've never heard of anyone talking about is making sure the rotor is true.  You have to clean up the wheel hub where the rotor bolts onto if you want smooth brakes.  Bolt the wheel together, spin it on a shaft and measure how much the rotor wobbles.
Get er done.
Mike Dwyer N3QP Q200

Q200 Website: http://goo.gl/V8IrJF

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

Totally agree, Mike. Another tip I picked up was to check them for rotational balance (first part of Coughlin's letter in Post #1). One of mine was waaaay out(!), so I picked up some wheel weights for use after final assembly.
--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Sam Hoskins

Just a note on how I established alignment of the Coughlin mount with the rotor, it was quite easy, no shimming required. Take precautions to make sure nothing sticks to the mounting plate. Bolt everything everything in place and connect the brake line. Don't drill the mounting holes in the wheel pant quite yet. Well maybe you could, you work it out. :)

With everything in the proper position, pull the brake handle and lock up the brake. Now, the assembly is in perfect alignment. Next, simply stuff a bunch of flox between the mounting plate and the wheel pant.  Keep the brake applied until completely cured. Drill the holes and you're done.

Simple?

Sam

Michael

Thanks Sam. I'm planning to follow Jon Finley's lead and use some plumber's epoxy, since I'm a one-man show. Nothing like being the second guinea pig 😬

Q-talk 134 - Finley/LaRue/Coughlin/Hoskins Q2 Brake Installation

I do need your help though!!! What's the best way to finish the foam/fiberglass edge in the wheelpant around the cutout for the  brake caliper without making a huge mess???

-MD

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Michael

HOLY SPUMONI, BATMAN! Don Coughlin was a freakin' genius!

Once assembled, this new version fits inside the mounts I currently have. Since the mounting hardware is identical, the difference in weight will be between the wood becoming aluminum and everything else shown in the other version (and those slides are 3/8 stainless steel). There appears to be an error in the .375 diameter call out for the "Outside Bracket" (no idea why though) so I'm glad I committed to a mock-up first. I created a new photo album with the results to save everyone's bandwidth: Coughlin Brakes for #2827

Also included are some pictures of the unfinished foam edge I mentioned earlier that I will need help tackling next. Part of my concern in how to proceed is that some of the edge looks like the wood from LG9...

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)