Delamination

I have had several major life changes happen over the last year. I've had to make several adjustments to my life and schedule which had put my quickie on the back burner. But as things are balancing out for me, I have finally been home enough to begin work again.
On this note, I have found a 6 inch delamination where the wood should reinforce the shell below the canopy. Is this going to become a major concern? I was thinking of carving the section out and repairing it. It's probably too far back to use as a place to install naca ducts for airflow. It would be just above my left arm if I was using the throttle or mixture controls. I'm working on laminating the bulkheads and maybe the seat/tank like Chris did on his before I match the shells together and finish cutting out the frame.

Troy Zawlacki

Im guessing this a Q1? On the Q2, the wood longerons dont go in until after the shells are joined, and then yes they are a very important structural member.

Taz

On Jun 23, 2022, at 9:26 PM, Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:

I have had several major life changes happen over the last year. I've had to make several adjustments to my life and schedule which had put my quickie on the back burner. But as things are balancing out for me, I have finally been home enough to begin work again.
On this note, I have found a 6 inch delamination where the wood should reinforce the shell below the canopy. Is this going to become a major concern? I was thinking of carving the section out and repairing it. It's probably too far back to use as a place to install naca ducts for airflow. It would be just above my left arm if I was using the throttle or mixture controls. I'm working on laminating the bulkheads and maybe the seat/tank like Chris did on his before I match the shells together and finish cutting out the frame.

Sam Hoskins

Please send photos.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022, 11:26 PM Cody <cody.craig1985@...> wrote:
I have had several major life changes happen over the last year. I've had to make several adjustments to my life and schedule which had put my quickie on the back burner. But as things are balancing out for me, I have finally been home enough to begin work again.
On this note, I have found a 6 inch delamination where the wood should reinforce the shell below the canopy. Is this going to become a major concern? I was thinking of carving the section out and repairing it. It's probably too far back to use as a place to install naca ducts for airflow. It would be just above my left arm if I was using the throttle or mixture controls. I'm working on laminating the bulkheads and maybe the seat/tank like Chris did on his before I match the shells together and finish cutting out the frame.

Sam, here are a couple pictures.

Chris Walterson

Cody-----  What I would do is to mix some epoxi, add a bit of micro while still keeping it thin, fill up a large needle and fill up the gap. Clamp it and you are good to go. If that is the finished part, you should also dig out about 1/4-- 1/2  foam and fill it with micro .

Other opinions may differ.--------------  Chris

Chris, that sounds easier. I have some syringes I was planning to use with micro when I join the shells together anyways. I'm having to everything completely on my own. Everyone who said "well be happy to help" bailed when I've asked for help. I had to rethink the whole mechanic on how to jig the big pieces.

Sam Hoskins

What Chris said. No big deal.

 Look for syringes at Rural King. Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight, etc. It can sometimes be helpful to drill out the opening where the needle goes a little bit to help the epoxy flow through a little better.

Sam

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022, 2:31 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Cody-----  What I would do is to mix some epoxi, add a bit of micro
while still keeping it thin, fill up a large needle and fill up the gap.
Clamp it and you are good to go. If that is the finished part, you
should also dig out about 1/4-- 1/2  foam and fill it with micro .

Other opinions may differ.--------------  Chris

David J. Gall

Cody,

I agree with the syringe/micro repair but I disagree with the procedure. Don’t just shoot micro down into the delaminated area. First, use a quarter to do the tap test and map out the delaminated area. Then go to the lowest point (or points) and drill a small hole(s). Prepare some contoured blocks that can be used to clamp the delaminated skin against the foam. Tape and mask liberally because you’re going to have overflow. Inject the micro into the hole(s) so as to fill the void from the bottom and push out any air as it fills. Then apply the contoured clamping blocks and clamps to squeeze out the excess. Wipe up excess and leave to cure for 48 hours.

Also, I disagree with digging out the top edge 1/4” and filling with micro. I’d think it best to just level the top edge after the procedure in the previous paragraph then follow the plans after that as though nothing had happened. Maybe scratch the top edge with 80 grit before bonding the shells together….

My $.02,

David J. Gall

On Jun 25, 2022, at 7:10 PM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

What Chris said. No big deal.

 Look for syringes at Rural King. Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight, etc. It can sometimes be helpful to drill out the opening where the needle goes a little bit to help the epoxy flow through a little better.

Sam

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022, 2:31 PM Chris Walterson <dkeats@...> wrote:
  Cody-----  What I would do is to mix some epoxi, add a bit of micro
while still keeping it thin, fill up a large needle and fill up the gap.
Clamp it and you are good to go. If that is the finished part, you
should also dig out about 1/4-- 1/2  foam and fill it with micro .

Other opinions may differ.--------------  Chris

Chris Walterson

Cody-  Do as Dave said when it comes to the airfoils and do a tap test to find the void. Usually with 1/2 foam you can physically see the delam bump. Sometimes the glass needs to be cut out and repaired.

 From the picture you sent it looks like 1/2 inch foam with glass on either side.

 I can speculate that the delam happened with handling. Something caught on the glass and pulled it from the foam. The reason I like to take  out the foam and install micro is to tie the two glassed together. After curring you can sand it to a round profile to prevent things getting caught.  On the Q site somewhere, there is a description of the different processes for repair.

 As for building on your own, most of us only use help when really needed.-----------  Have fun---------  Chris