Topics

Dynon AP install

Jay Scheevel

Hi Richard,

Here are the pictures of the Dynon auto pilot servos as installed. The pitch servo looks much more crowded than it really is because of the camera angle, which shows the rudder cable, flexible brake lines, fuel lines, wiring, and elevator trim mechanism, which are all mounted below the oversized header. For the servo, I built a right-angle mount bracket out of 5-BID with a radiused flox corner, then mounted it to the canard by bonding some studs to the wing and using nuts and washers to hold the angle bracket down. I put a couple stiff thick silicone bead strips under the end of the servo to keep it from flexing and vibrating on the mount.

The roll servo is mounted  through the center pillar of the FS 94 bulkhead. The servo is mounted flush with the forward face of the pillar. I countersunk (and reinforced with glass) two of the mount screws through the pillar, and I added two 4-BID “tabs” sticking out to the right of the pillar to accommodate the other two mount screws. Dynon sells a pushrod kit that you can custom size for the servos to keep the travel angle within the specified angle range. I used the standard SV32 servos on both elevator and roll.

Glad you asked me to take these pictures, because I just noticed that I did not tighten up the jam nut on the lower end of the roll servo pushrod!

Richard Thomson

Thanks Jay,

Glad I have my uses.  I have just noticed that your reflex lever is behind your bulkhead. Is that a mod or have I got mine wrong ?

Looks pretty busy under your panel.

Br

Rich T.

On 21/11/2020 15:28, Jay Scheevel wrote:

[...]

Yes it is very busy, but I have two removable side panels that allow me to get to everything!

You have your reflexor right. Mine is just one of my many mods. On the back side of the bulkhead, there is a phenolic pulley bolted onto the reflexor “donut”. It has a cable wrapped three times around that goes up to my control handle in front. The cable-based control can be handled with more finesse, has no play, and has a variable friction lock. The handle is like another stick on the left side that has the same pitch up, pitch down sense as the control stick on the right. Here is a picture so you can visualize the entire assembly.