From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Schmid <robert@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 10:58 PM
To: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Electric Reflexor?

As part of my research for adding a reflexor to "Duckie", I ran into one picture of an electric reflexor setup by Jon Finley I believe, looked like a Ray Allen servo

https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/photo/115598/1393884?p=created%2C%2CElectric+Reflexor%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0

I will have a VP-X which makes electric trim servos super easy, so I figured I ask. I know I know, this is a shy group ;-) but lets see what different opinions I'll get on an electric reflexor trim setup with the buttons on the stick.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Jon Finley

Robert,

I'm not sure exactly what the question is. If it is about opinion... I can save you a bit of time - you will get every possible variation. Best thing in the world to worst (and you will die for trying).  I guess I'm a facts guy so unsure how that helps.

If you are asking for actual experience... I like having trim on the stick - I installed an Infinity grip (with all the buttons and gadgets) in my RV-4 and I like it - the next person doesn't like it. The Ray Allen servos have proven to be pretty reliable but they do fail - so do electrics - plan for that. The research that I did many years ago found that they fail "fixed" (not free wheeling) - that was an acceptable failure mode for this purpose (IMO). You have to look at mission, failure modes, and mix in a bit of personal preference - balance all of that with building a mega complex machine for the rest of your life or finishing something less complex and flying/enjoying it.

My electric modification never went thru any engineering process so is surely a bad idea. I don't recall exactly but it seems like I installed very early so probably have 600 hours or so with that setup.

Jon Finley
Flying an RV-4 - Truth or Consequences, NM
Flying Videos - YouTube

Jerry Marstall

I've used a Ray Allen for 26 yrs and wouldnt have it any other way.  Have coolie hat trim button on top of stick. Removed original elevator trim wheel and use reflexer as pitch trim.
Jerry  M

On Wed, May 11, 2022, 11:58 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
As part of my research for adding a reflexor to "Duckie", I ran into one picture of an electric reflexor setup by Jon Finley I believe, looked like a Ray Allen servo

https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/photo/115598/1393884?p=created%2C%2CElectric+Reflexor%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0

I will have a VP-X which makes electric trim servos super easy, so I figured I ask. I know I know, this is a shy group ;-) but lets see what different opinions I'll get on an electric reflexor trim setup with the buttons on the stick.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

dflybldr

Please be careful with electrically operated trim systems. On my Dragonfly it only takes a few small adjustments of the vernier on the cable to "trim" for level flight. I have a standard setting for takeoff and another for landing.

Let's not repeat "Drew's Dragonfly" experiment where his had no stops and was way too fast in adjustment. It scared the crap out of him and luckily ended without stalling.

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 11:58 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
As part of my research for adding a reflexor to "Duckie", I ran into one picture of an electric reflexor setup by Jon Finley I believe, looked like a Ray Allen servo

https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/photo/115598/1393884?p=created%2C%2CElectric+Reflexor%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0

I will have a VP-X which makes electric trim servos super easy, so I figured I ask. I know I know, this is a shy group ;-) but lets see what different opinions I'll get on an electric reflexor trim setup with the buttons on the stick.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

Sam Hoskins

I guess you can call me old school. I adjust my dark ages manual reflexor before I take off, then once or twice in cruise, then once again in the pattern.

Sam

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 10:58 PM Robert Schmid <robert@...> wrote:
As part of my research for adding a reflexor to "Duckie", I ran into one picture of an electric reflexor setup by Jon Finley I believe, looked like a Ray Allen servo

https://q-list.groups.io/g/main/photo/115598/1393884?p=created%2C%2CElectric+Reflexor%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0

I will have a VP-X which makes electric trim servos super easy, so I figured I ask. I know I know, this is a shy group ;-) but lets see what different opinions I'll get on an electric reflexor trim setup with the buttons on the stick.

--
Robert "TheFrisco" Schmid
(408) 805-5450

www.facebook.com/TheFlyingFriscos
www.theflyingfriscos.com

ryan goodman

Josiah@...

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 8:26, Sam Hoskins
<sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Fisher

I must be even older school!  Checking the reflector is on my takeoff checklist and on my landing checklist. Otherwise I don't touch it.  Early on I would adjust it all the time.  Now I just leave it alone.  I guess it's all about what you get used to.

Paul

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 09:26 Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
[...]

I am not quite as dark ages as Sam and not as modern as Jerry.  I do like having direct manual/mechanical control of my reflexor.  I make adjustments at various times in flight. I also have electrically controlled elevator trim.

I use both elevator and reflexor in flight to find a sweet spot for cruise and for approach and landing. To each his own.

This has been said before, but you need to be able to fly and land the airplane when your trim fails. My reflexor is much more powerful affecting the pitch of the airplane, than is the elevator trim, so if my electric elevator trim fails, I still have full stick deflection, and I could also set the reflexor manually to help compensate, I only would have the discomfort of pushing or pulling against the elevator trim springs. If the reflexor went full deflection, as in a runaway servo, I am not sure I could override with elevator, and that would be bad. Thus, my choice of manual (reflexor) and electric (elevator) trim.

BTW, I flew for about a year with no elevator trim device, then I designed a one-off mechanism and added it, just to amuse David Dall 😉

[...]

Allen also sells an accompanying speed control box.  Necessary. Jerry M

On Thu, May 12, 2022, 10:15 AM dflybldr <tebhall@...> wrote:
[...]

Kevin Sheeley

Me to, only takeoff, cruise, landing.