Emergency landing witnessed

Rodney Herzig

https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

Anthony P

Thanks for posting.

Great job by both of you.

Power slide at the end there must be good for some extra points.

Sam Hoskins

Thanks for sharing that Rodney.

Sam

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 8:49 PM Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

Rodney Herzig

Your welcome Sam. Dave thought the group may be able to learn something from it. He did an excellent job of keeping his cool and getting the plane on the ground safely.

Rod

On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:

Thanks for sharing that Rodney.

Sam

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 8:49 PM Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

Paul Fisher

Nice job Rod.  That must be a really helpless feeling to be that close and all you can do is watch!

Thanks for the video.

Paul

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 18:49 Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

Corbin

Well done, Dave!  I have also had an emergency landing in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma in my Q200.  It was on the return flight from NW Arkansas to Dallas when my alternator failed.  Only a small handful of airports as options and was on borrowed battery time.

Glad you got it down safe!

Corbin

--

Corbin
N121CG

Dave Dugas

Thanks Corbin and everyone else. With plenty of help available last evening, my Q was unloaded, and is now back in the hangar. The incident was caused by piston failure in the #1 cylinder. I couldn't wait to find out the cause, so right after getting the engine off the truck I removed the valve cover and cylinder heads. I'll be getting a few pictures of the discovery posted soon.
I'm glad that Rodney was there to record the ordeal because it demonstrates the importance of keeping aware of possible emergency landing sites, even though things seem to be going great. This occurred completely out of the blue, and in a matter of seconds.
Dave D.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM, Corbin via groups.io
<c_geiser@...> wrote:
[...]

At this rate Dave, you'll be testing flying by tomorrow morning! :)

Is the rod still connected to the crank?
If not, I would suspect rod big-end failure first, which leads to piston failure.

I get to look at it this weekend while you're stuck at the family BBQ!  HaHa.

Bruce Crain

I thought you kept pretty cool also Rodney.  Cooler heads are so much better in those situations.
Bruce

Your welcome Sam. Dave thought the group may be able to learn something from it. He did an excellent job of keeping his cool and getting the plane on the ground safely.

Rod

On Sep 22, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Sam Hoskins <sam.hoskins@...> wrote:
Thanks for sharing that Rodney.

Sam

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 8:49 PM Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

Rodney Herzig

Yes Paul, it was a helpless feeling. I was thinking 121.5 or 911 depending on the outcome. Fortunately, Dave made the airport.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

On Sep 22, 2021, at 1:18 PM, Paul Fisher <rv7a.n18pf@...> wrote:

Nice job Rod.  That must be a really helpless feeling to be that close and all you can do is watch!

Thanks for the video.

Paul

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 18:49 Rodney Herzig <zzigster@...> wrote:
https://youtu.be/hRzUAs8ITzM

Here is video taken during Dave Dugas’s engine failure while enroute to Enid and the communication between him and I during the emergency as it it happened.

Rod Herzig
CozyIII
N399BR

Rick Hole

If I had been in Dave’s shoes, having a friend hovering over would have been an answer to prayer.  I’d know I’d have assistance without delay.  Just to draw confidence from a friend…

While working at Sebastian FL airport 2004- retirement in 2016 I helped rescue quite a few forced landings on and off field.  Several while I happened to be flying and could quickly pinpoint the landing site.

We are all happy this one worked out without injury.  We built our planes once, we can rebuild or start over.

Rick Hole

smeshno1@...

911 is pretty much useless out here in the sticks of Oklahoma. 121.5 IS effective! One pilot reporting on another in distress gets ATC attention in a hurry.
Vern