From: main@Q-List.groups.io <main@Q-List.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Dugas via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 7:00 PM
To: Q. List <main@q-list.groups.io>
Subject: [Q-List] Engine failure

Here's what's going on with my engine. I've removed the head and see evidence of possible connecting rod bolt failure, but won't be sure until I can get the case apart and look around. I'll be buying another Revmaster because it is the fastest way to get back in the air.

Dave D

Dave Dugas

I haven’t got the crankcase apart yet, however Anthony Parker took some nice close-ups of some of the damage, which are in a folder. I’m not sure if I can share the link, but I’ll figure it out. Dave D

Sent from Mail for Windows

Thanks for the update, Dave. Were you able to find the bolt halves in the sump?  If so, and it is not too much trouble, could you post a close up of the failed face of the bolts. I would be interested in having a look to determine whether it was fatigue failure or catastrophic.

#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)

Dave Dugas

Michael
Today I removed the mags and starter, flywheel, and the rear casting. I'll be sending the mags to have them inspected and parts replaced as needed. Revmaster needs mags, starter, flywheel, and rear casting for my new engine. I'll be getting a new everything else, and I'm going back to the magnesium crankcase. Joe has a different center bearing on the crankshaft which he says reduces the amount of flex and vibration in the crankshaft, which potentially should reduce cracking of the magnesium. It's also about 17 lbs lighter than the aluminum block.
I'm going to flip the fuselage over on it's back to work on the underside where there's been damage from the fire. Hopefully that repair will be straightforward if the heat didn't cause damage to the inner layup of the fuselage. I'll be ordering ez-poxy for that repair.
Once I get the case apart and find the connecting rod bolt thats missing, I'll have a much better idea of what caused the failure, and I'll get some pictures posted.
Dave D

--
-MD
#2827 (still thinking about planning on visualizing how to finish building)