From: Bruce Crain <jcrain2@...>
To: main <main@Q-List.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jun 8, 2020 3:27 pm
Subject: [Q-List] Field Of Dreams Question

Howdy to all from Oklahoma and apparently "The Tiger Capitol of the World"!  teeth_smile
Say Alan Thayer and I were batting it around and thought we should ask if anyone knows what years this is for the  Quickie Gathering?
Alan is speculating it is the 30th.  And I don't have a clue.
Maybe we should bake a cake!
Bruce Crain

Jon Finley

This might make for some fun reminiscing.... I remember talking about this last year but don't recall the verdict.

I flew my Q1 (Rotax 503 powered at that time) from Helena, MT to the 1992 event at Ottawa, KS (and picked up Bob Bounds in his sissy pink Rotax 503 Q1 enroute).  As I recall, it was the second year of the primarily Dragonfly event organized by Spud Spornitz.  That doesn't quite mesh with 30 years and I'm certainly not going to argue with Alan!!  So, I betting I got something wrong - maybe that was the third year for DF's??

Spud Spornitz

September 20, 21 & 22 1991 was the first year at Ottawa, KS.

1992 (2nd) was the big year as we had 26 Tandems attend all together. 12 Dragonflies and 24 Quickies

Regards, Spud

--
Very Best Regards,

Spud Spornitz

Kansas Automotive Specialties
1112 E Layton Drive
Olathe, KS 66061
Phone: (913) 484-0508

Paul Fisher

I've still got the award for the best Q-200 at the 1991 swarming.  I was in fact the ONLY Quickie type aircraft at the Dragonfly swarming that year.  But hey an award is an award!!

Those days in Ottawa were great fun.  There are fewer people in Enid, but it's still great fun!!

Paul Fisher
Q-200 N17PF

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 13:12 Spud Spornitz <spudspornitz@...> wrote:
[...]

JMasal@...

Yay, Spud is alive ...and well !
j.

[...]

Howdy Spud!!  Very good to hear from you!!!  Whenever we do have a 30th event - would love to see you there!

Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4

Spud Spornitz

Hi Jimmy, Paul, Jon and others.....Thanks for the invite, now that I'm retired I'll more than likely take you up on your kind offer, sounds fun!.

Very Best Regards to All!!

Spud Spornitz
Olathe, KS

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 5:39 PM Jon Finley <jd@...> wrote:
Howdy Spud!!  Very good to hear from you!!!  Whenever we do have a 30th event - would love to see you there!

Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4

--
Very Best Regards,

Spud Spornitz
Olathe, KS 66061

Bruce Crain

Alright!  “Hey la hey la our Spuds is back”!  Will be so good to see you!  You and Jimmeh could MC if you like!  Scare up some DFly guys and bring em with you!
Bruce Crain

On Jun 16, 2020, at 9:45 PM, Spud Spornitz <spudspornitz@...> wrote:

Hi Jimmy, Paul, Jon and others.....Thanks for the invite, now that I'm retired I'll more than likely take you up on your kind offer, sounds fun!.

Very Best Regards to All!!

Spud Spornitz
Olathe, KS

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 5:39 PM Jon Finley <jd@...> wrote:
Howdy Spud!!  Very good to hear from you!!!  Whenever we do have a 30th event - would love to see you there!

Jon Finley
Somewhere in the Southwest flying an RV-4

--
Very Best Regards,

Spud Spornitz
Olathe, KS 66061

millenniumflier@...

Hey Everybody!

Still trying to document the history behind our Field of Dreams events, and i still think i have it right.... i'm attaching a couple of pictures here, one of the commemorative T Shirt of the event in Beatrice, showing the 20th anniversary in 2010.  Also, a pic of the commemorative DVD set that i made of the 20th annual event also dated 2010.  That's exactly 10 years ago, so if you add 10 to 20 years,  since this is 2020, you get 30... that's correct, at least in base 10, right???  So unless we counted wrong back in 2010, the upcoming event in September should be our 30th... which is pretty cool!

And Spud, it would be super to see you again, looking forward! And yeah, echo'ing Bruce, Jimmeh and you MC'ing the event would be like old times!

Alan

[...]

Hi Alan,

We'll look at it to make sure we don't have anything else going.

What are the exact dates for this year's event??? And is it in Enid, OK?

Regards, Spud

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:18 AM millenniumflier via groups.io <millenniumflier=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hey Spud!

Terrific hearing from you!  Field of Dreams is scheduled for Sept. 18-20, 2020 at Woodring Field, Enid OK!  We would all love to see you again!!  I talked with Bruce Crain just recently and it looks like, unless there are any flare-ups in the virus, these dates will work fine, and we can plan with  confidence.  Bruce indicates that even now, their county has been largely spared, so we are good to go.  We sure hope you can plan on it!  Lots of new faces and many of us old hands will be there  too, all still gung-ho for our tandem-wing planes!

All the best,

[...]

Hello again Alan and group.

Sorry to say I won't be to make the 2020 FOD as I've already have that weekend booked. Sorry...hopefully 2021!

Very Best Regards, Spud

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 8:05 AM millenniumflier via groups.io <millenniumflier=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Well Spud at least send us an autographed picture!  We will put it up front and let everyone contribute WWSS!  (What would Spud Say)!
Sorry we won’t get to see you!  Maybe next year!
Bruce

On Jun 23, 2020, at 2:45 PM, Spud Spornitz <spudspornitz@...> wrote:

[...]

Terry Adams

I may want to fly out just to get the 30th anniversary T-shirt  ????

Terry
N41521  DF Mk1
KSCK

On 6/23/2020 4:18 AM, millenniumflier via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Communication ink and paper free

JMasal@...

Enid may be spared Covid, Alan, but as retired Respiratory Therapists Mary and I want to mention that FOD visitors
MAY be importing Covid from allaround the USA.... Just sayin'.

l'il jimmy

[...]

One Sky Dog

Don’t panic unless you have comorbidity factors, in that case do not attend. If you have symptoms or have been around sick people less than 2 weeks from the event stay home.

It was never stated we could prevent everyone from being exposed, just slow down the spread so as to not overwhelm the health services. In spite of the dire “holy model” the facts are if you have a healthy immune system it will not kill you.

I promise not to sneeze or cough on you jimmy!

One Sky Dog

On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:41 AM, JMasal via groups.io <JMasal@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear Mr. One Sky Dog, it's not the coughing and sneezing on me that concerns. I hope you are not learning medicine from the media. I live in a major
metropolitan area with a fairly extensive network of family doctors and medical friends. I would  be happy to match up my medical knowledge and insights
into this Covid with yours any ol day. Yes, it will not likely kill you but it is not like a few days of winter flu. It will kick your mutha lovin ass for a likely VERY
uncomfortable few weeks whether health services are overwhelmed or not (that's what's happening in Texas lately). Covid 19 is not fully understood by anyone in the world-wide medical community - yet.
But we live in a free country and we are not a risk-averse people.
I hope Honey Lamb, R.N. is giving wise counsel to hubby Brucie.

j.

[...]

Well ah does gets alotta advice it seems but it is usually the reactionary type!  (Like ya done ready screwed up didn’t ya Bruski)!